Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
I've bought refurbs from Apple before with good results, but it looks like my phone is about to die, and if that happens, I won't be able to wait for shipping (EDIT: or for stock to be available). Verizon has the phone I want as a refurb. How safe is that option?

Last edited:

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
It will have the same warranty as a new one, I presume? If that's the case, I'd probably be cool with it.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Oh, good point. 90-day limited warranty. That's not promising. New is an extra $150, but maybe worth it in that case. Or if the repair place says it can make it another two weeks I can wait for a refurb to show up in Apple's store (they're currently out of stock :confused:).

Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 6.54.30 AM.png

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I've bought refurbs from Apple before with good results, but it looks like my phone is about to die, and if that happens, I won't be able to wait for shipping (EDIT: or for stock to be available). Verizon has the phone I want as a refurb. How safe is that option?
For $150 more, I'd much rather have the piece of mind having a new phone with a new phone warranty.
I have little confidence in people to do a proper job of disassembling and reassembling things properly, so...........

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
For $150 more, I'd much rather have the piece of mind having a new phone with a new phone warranty.
I have little confidence in people to do a proper job of disassembling and reassembling things properly, so...........
^ This.

If Verizon is like T-Mobile and AT&T (and Sprint used to be) then the refurbs they have are probably coming from either Assurant or Asurion. Both those companies are the majors that deal with insurance for the carriers. So, the refurbs you get from those guys can be of any quality and tend to not use Apple OEM parts.

Reactions: Splitrail

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
"sold in as-is condition", buy a Lottery ticket same day.

Last edited:

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
^ This.

If Verizon is like T-Mobile and AT&T (and Sprint used to be) then the refurbs they have are probably coming from either Assurant or Asurion. Both those companies are the majors that deal with insurance for the carriers. So, the refurbs you get from those guys can be of any quality and tend to not use Apple OEM parts.
Good point! Standards of "refurbished" vary.
That said, for the difference of $150, I'd still rather have a new phone than a refurb even from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.