Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy a 23" iMac

• Yes, ASAP if releases

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • No,

Votes: 53 50.5%
  • A few months after it's release (if released)

Votes: 28 26.7%

• Total voters

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
give it a dvi input, two hard drive bays, 4 ram slots, and I would consider it. not sure if I'd get it or not, but I'd consider it.

greenmac

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Adelaide
I said no because I just bought a mac pro, however if they had a 23" iMac out already with 4 ram slots then I would have bought that instead. I'm not a pro, but This is for my bedroom and I want it to double as my TV, and 20" doesn't cut it.
But I'd like the most a headless version with a conroe chip!

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
None of the above.

I'll buy one when and if I need it and can afford it. Neither of which applies now...

Same here, proberly a great machine though ;)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
When I first heard the rumour, I thought YES YES YES.

I'm now thinking hmmm, not sure, probably not.

I have a 17" iMac G5 and a currently-still-broken 20" iMac G5. Both of these are revision B and can be wall mounted to save desktop space in a small room. The 20" is pretty heavy and I still need to lug that to the shop for repair at some point. Can you imagine how heavy a 23" would be? Plus I wouldn't be able to wall mount it unless they flattened the back casing again.

Am now thinking I'd probably be better off getting rid of both of these iMacs and replacing them with a 23" ACD plus a Mac Mini. I don't need the power of the Mac Pro. That way I'd keep the display for a while and can change the Mini as and when necessary...

Well if the 23" iMac were to happen I'd certainly have a look at one but doubt I'd buy one.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
If I needed a desktop, I would as soon as they shipped with Leopard and iLife '07.;)

Yet since I would like a laptop, I'm probably not getting one anyways.

So yes and no, I would(n't) buy "an":p 23" iMac.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
I was going to get a 20" in a few months, I wonder if this new mac my change the price of the 20". Maybe if the 17 is scrapped the 20 may drop nearer its price.

I'm going to wait to see what goes in to this machine before deciding anything – if the graphics card remains the same and the price raises nearer the Mac Pro I would be tempted to go for a Pro instead. The ability to upgrade is just too important to ignore – for future use and resale.

The Pro is expensive, but how would the resale on an iMac 23" Vs a Mac Pro look in 4 years?

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
iGary said:
Nope.

For some reason I'm over the current iMac design. It was kind of cool when I got one of the first G5's, but it's worn off.

Hoping for a redesign next year - about time, really.

You know I think a lot of us said that and then the G4 20" came out. Wonder if it's the same thing now.

I'd have probably been interested if I didn't go gung ho and order the Mac Pro with a 23" Screen when it came out. I wanted a bit more real estate for photo editing. I'm not sure I 'need' dual Xeon twin core 2.66GHz processors but I guess it'll last me a few years like my Rev A iMac G5 20" has.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I wouldn't. Firstly the 17" fits well into the space I have and secondly because I really don't want an Intel Mac yet. In a years time when all the software is updated I may change my mind about the Intel thing, but I'd still go for a 17".

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
If there is a 23" iMac released I hope Apple can manage to shrink the chin on the current designs. That would be the perfect Mac in my opinion.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
Since I got a 20" iMac back in May I'm not in the market for a new desktop, but if I were, I would definitly consider a 23" iMac if it were $1999 or under.

andrew050703

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Portsmouth, U.K
Yeah I'll get one (if they arrive) when Leopard comes out & when my desktop finally dies. It'll be good even if just as a media centre, but I'd like a decent processor/lots of RAM capability to be able to use Photoshop when it goes UB.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2006
UK
I would be up for one although I would wait for leopard & iLife '07 I think.

I am looking for something that will be my computer and double as a media centre. Perhaps with the supposed film downloads on the way they will market the 23" for home cinema?

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I don't think so, as I just bought a MacBook. However, I was planning to buy a 23" ACD anyway to go with my MacBook. So, if the iMac 23" has this, then maybe I'll think about it. But I'd have to save:

1. Glossy Screen (even just as an option would be okay)
2. 3GB RAM potential (at least)
3. No more than $1999 US

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I will order one as soon as they are available. My main "desktop" is currently a 1GHz iBook G4 sitting on an iCurve, with an Apple BT keyboard & mouse. ;)

But what is it with you guys "throwing out" your old computers and wanting to save the displays??? My goodness, I've still got a working Commodore PET 4032 (bought new ca. 1981), an Atari 400, and two Amiga's. Each one has a display that's much better than the previous one, and my 3-year-old iBook's tops them all. And remember, Apple is constantly improving and upgrading their monitors. They get sharper, brighter, and faster. No doubt the 23" iMac will look much better than its predecessors as well. I see no reason to avoid an upgrade just because you're unwilling to upgrade the monitor as well. Even if the monitor wasn't automatically included in the base price, a new iMac is still an fantastically powerful computer at a very fair price.

I'm no expert, but I think one of the reasons Apple is so successful now, is that they manage to convice us (the typical users) to upgrade our systems much more often than typical PC users. Most of my PC -owing friends are working off systems that are 5+ years old; my Mac friends are all newer than three years. So Apple is selling nearly twice as many machines per user as Dell or HP. Over the course of a lifetime that really adds up!

machappymeal

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2006
Caitlyn said:
I don't think so, as I just bought a MacBook. However, I was planning to buy a 23" ACD anyway to go with my MacBook. So, if the iMac 23" has this, then maybe I'll think about it. But I'd have to save:

1. Glossy Screen (even just as an option would be okay)
2. 3GB RAM potential (at least)
3. No more than $1999 US

The glossy screen would be a winner for me. Love them on the Macbooks and they would be amazing on a 23":eek:

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I've been waiting for a 20" 64-bit Intel iMac since the Intel transition was announced. The fact that it's gonna be 3" bigger is just that much better. This has the potential to be one of the best future-proofed buys in the iMac line; I'm hoping to get 4-6 years out of it. I' think a 1799 USD price-point with the edu discount seems about right, is that realistic?

A Conroe would've been nice; I must admit I was a little bummed when i heard it was going to be another laptop chip. After reading most of the thread on the main page though, I feel like this will be less of a concern. I hadn't realized how hot the conroe runs, and that the performance difference will be fairly minimal in most day-to-day circumstances. Also a cooler chip may help the components last longer (a major plus for me).

Here's hoping we get the option of a decent graphics card. Does it really cost that much more to design a motherboard that accommodates a larger variety of GPU's, or to accommodate a larger BTO GPU variety during the assembly process? Come on Apple, charge us your premium if you want, at least give us the option to overpay for a nicer GPU.

As far as a "headless" Mac between the mini and pro lines, I can see the gap that people describe in the product lineup. I just wonder how large the market is, and if adding a new line of desktops (and the added cost of the R&D/advertising/inventory etc.) is truly the solution. It seems that this gap may be more efficiently closed by improving the mini (possibly redesigning it), adding a dumbed-down Mac pro (i.e. 1 dual-core), and increasing the BTO options on the iMac. My two cents.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
GorillaPaws said:
The fact that it's gonna be 3" bigger is just that much better. I think a 1799 USD price-point with the edu discount seems about right, is that realistic?

No. I don't see how a 23" iMac could be less than $2299.

TheManOfSilver

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
Canada
Absolutely! Just waiting for Leopard to be released ... which might mean that I would be getting a Rev. B or further updated 23" iMac by that point.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
4God said:
No. I don't see how a 23" iMac could be less than $2299.

Uhhh... that's the same price as a Mac Pro in the edu store. I would think there'd be at least a couple hundred dollars between the two product lines. Besides, LCD's are getting cheaper every day, I can't imagine the price jumping up that much for 3" of screen real-estate.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
Well those who said you would buy the 23" imac, have you purchased the 24" version or have you been put off by the extra inch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.