Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy an iPad mini pro?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
It’s a tough decision because I almost wonder if it even matters for me since I feel that the screen is too small for content consumption on the Mini.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
These things are so subjective... Some people (like me) think it's too small for content consumption, lack a proper keyboard option and have only a limited (but irreplaceble) use case (essentially in bed). Others think that even the mini 6 is the best iPad ever made and the only one that makes sense.
Having said that, I'll keep my mini 5 for years to come and the feature I would like most in a mini is more RAM

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
First in line for the PRO MAX cameras on this Mini Pro, at even up towards phone pricing. Perfection through my lens would also bring full ApplePay (like phone) and CarPlay (like phone- it's actually in iPadOS, but not accessible without a hack).

I use my cellular Mini to also fully cover telephony (via Voip app with buds) but phone does have a few features I'd love to get in a hypothetical pro. For my phone and texting needs, I'm perfectly happy with the relative bargain that it is... and a few more hundred for a pro version that brings these extras would still be quite the (relative) bargain vs. owning the phone (too).

While I can both see the "jelly" and don't really care that much, obviously a Pro should come with a better screen (though I suspect the actual next one that won't be pro will likely improve there anyway).

If Pro could fold or roll to make it also deliver iPhone's "pocket-ability" (MAJOR) benefit, all the better.

While Pro in iPads generally means using a Mx chip as the brains, I wouldn't really care if this one did vs. sticking with iPhone A-chips. Existing A feels plenty fast to me.

Since this is so open ended so we can imagine this as we each want it, I'd much prefer sticking with current bezel size to keep the camera in bezel vs. adopting either notch or dynamic island. IMO, Touch ID as implemented is terrific, thus I would have very little interest in Face ID being added... but I know others would feel dramatically different about that.

Lastly, since size is not such a premium like phone, I'd 500% welcome a headphone jack resurrection- ideally the same one Apple refined in the latest MBpros. A good DAC is already inside and Bluetooth still doesn't have the bandwidth for Apple's lossless, still can have latency issues, etc, etc. Those happy with bluetooth would be unaffected (as would those happy with USB-C and/or dongles, so no need to begin the deadest of dead horse arguments about "the future" vs. "best audio quality" again). I'm simply sharing what I'd love to see in this hypothetical product for ME.

Last edited:
Reactions: entropi

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
First in line for the PRO MAX cameras on this Mini Pro, at even up towards phone pricing. Perfection through my lens would also bring full ApplePay (like phone) and CarPlay (like phone- it's actually in iPadOS, but not accessible without a hack).

I use my cellular Mini to also fully cover telephony (via Voip app with buds) but phone does have a few features I'd love to get in a hypothetical pro. For my phone and texting needs, I'm perfectly happy with the relative bargain that it is... and a few more hundred for a pro version that brings these extras would still be quite the (relative) bargain vs. owning the phone (too).

While I can both see the "jelly" and don't really care that much, obviously a Pro should come with a better screen (though I suspect the actual next one that won't be pro will likely improve there anyway).

If Pro could fold or roll to make it also deliver iPhone's "pocket-ability" (MAJOR) benefit, all the better.

While Pro in iPads generally means using a Mx chip as the brains, I wouldn't really care if this one did vs. sticking with iPhone A-chips. Existing A feels plenty fast to me.

Since this is so open ended so we can imagine this as we each want it, I'd much prefer sticking with current bezel size to keep the camera in bezel vs. adopting either notch or dynamic island. IMO, Touch ID as implemented is terrific, thus I would have very little interest in Face ID being added... but I know others would feel dramatically different about that.

Lastly, since size is not such a premium like phone, I'd 500% welcome a headphone jack resurrection- ideally the same one Apple refined in the latest MBpros. A good DAC is already inside and Bluetooth still doesn't have the bandwidth for Apple's lossless, still can have latency issues, etc, etc. Those happy with bluetooth would be unaffected (as would those happy with USB-C and/or dongles, so no need to begin the deadest of dead horse arguments about "the future" vs. "best audio quality" again). I'm simply sharing what I'd love to see in this hypothetical product for ME.
While I agree with your points I don't see Apple bringing back a headphone jack in a mobile device... ever again, unfortunately, that's one of the reasons I keep my mini 5 dearly (I also use it for music playing, where bluetothh is not an option, and probably never will)

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I think it’d be a niche product… but I fall into that niche, so hell yeah, I’d buy one! I’m an artist who already has an 11” iPad Pro for sketching as well as editing photos & videos on which I love. But I also have an iPad mini for when I want an ultra portable digital sketchbook & content creation tool while on the road. So having a faster iPad mini Pro with a much better screen would definitely be on my list if available. Having said that, I don’t think chances are high that Apple will release an iPad Pro mini. I am looking forward to the iPad mini 7 tho. 😉

Last edited:

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Oh man, a mini with Promotion, a pro-level camera, and Face ID would be an instant addition to my life. I would use this all the time, especially traveling.

Reactions: VaruLV

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
No because it won’t change how I use it. I want a mini foldable though. Mini and 11 in iPad in one.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
ProMotion in the mini would be cool. Also wish they'd rotate the display orientation so the jelly scroll happens in landscape. Otherwise, it's pretty perfect as it is - love my mini!

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Yes, primarily to support Apple’s decision to prioritize the Mini, something they rarely do. There’s no better endorsement to Apple than giving them your money. If I want regular Mini updates long-term, I will speak with my wallet. The device would theoretically have some nice updates over my current Mini 5, so it’s a win-win.

iSam21

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
Here’s what I would Buy the Hell Out Of.

An iPad Mini Pro with a matt screen optimised for writing with the Apple Pencil. With a keyboard case that allows the iPad to pivot when open so you can type in either landscape or portrait mode. OMG yes, that would be my meetings and travel companion and I would be first in line.

It would be my notebook and the tool I would use on planes to clear emails, etc.

Will never happen of course.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Q: Would you buy an iPad mini pro?
A: No. Why? Because those "Pro" features won't appreciably improve the user experience on that form-factor but will increase the price.

Even fans of the iPad Mini occasionally complain about the price of the Mini compared to other iPads in the lineup. A hypothetical iPad Mini Pro would begin at $599 for 64GB. (for reference, a little over a year ago, I predicted that the iPad 10th gen would be based on the Air and cost $50 more than the 9th gen... turned out the Air part was correct, but the price increased by $120) ;)

Having said that, I would like to see an iPad Mini Pro that is released alongside a "base" iPad Mini. Apple can then have a reasonable price for the Mini and charge an arm and a leg for the Pro. Everyone's happy. (except the reflexive complaints about how Apple should increase the base storage to more than 64GB 😂)

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
If the mini "pro" got a brighter screen, a little bit better resolution, and improved battery life I think I would even sell my M1 12.9" pro for that. The jelly scroll thing didn't really impact me when i used my mini (child has it now), but I also didn't scroll things fast enough to really notice, but if it got ProMotion then icing on the cake.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I would definitely buy an iPad Mini Pro the next time I need an iPad update.
Bigger iPad’s, nah, then I rather use Mac's.

iPad Mini is the perfect device between my iPhone Mini and Mac’s

Reactions: VaruLV and IJBrekke

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Q: Would you buy an iPad mini pro?
A: No. Why? Because those "Pro" features won't appreciably improve the user experience on that form-factor but will increase the price.

Even fans of the iPad Mini occasionally complain about the price of the Mini compared to other iPads in the lineup. A hypothetical iPad Mini Pro would begin at $599 for 64GB. (for reference, a little over a year ago, I predicted that the iPad 10th gen would be based on the Air and cost $50 more than the 9th gen... turned out the Air part was correct, but the price increased by $120) ;)

Having said that, I would like to see an iPad Mini Pro that is released alongside a "base" iPad Mini. Apple can then have a reasonable price for the Mini and charge an arm and a leg for the Pro. Everyone's happy. (except the reflexive complaints about how Apple should increase the base storage to more than 64GB 😂)
Totally agree. It really won’t make a huge difference on how people use it.

Reactions: cthompson94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.