Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I'm not entering the OLED world where my eyes are strained so I'm stuck with LCD and that only leaves the SE 2022. I'm down to 88% and approaching 500 cycles, but since the last iOS update its ruined my phone. Everything is sluggish, it can take upto 5 seconds just to open an app - this is every time not just on the odd occasion.

I've considered replacing the battery but after the price increase of that too I'm tempted to just sell this and buy the same phone again. I don't mind paying the difference considering the components are likely quite worn too due to excessive use (sometimes 8-10 hours constantly due to my job). It's been crashing a fair bit too since the last iOS update even when I don't have low battery.

I was hoping this phone would be updated by Apple but there's no talk of that happening.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Just reset the thing or wait for another update, there is nothing worn (except of course the battery), that's all software. A new one would be forever stuck on whatever version it came with (which might be iOS 15) since you couldn't update without ending up with the same software you got now.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
It’s pointless to sell this and get the same model again. I would try resetting the the phone and restore from a recent backup.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If you don’t want OLED, your only other option is to buy a new phone like iPhone 14 and replace with an aftermarket LCD.

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
If you don’t want OLED, your only other option is to buy a new phone like iPhone 14 and replace with an aftermarket LCD.
Don't even know for sure if that would work. I'd rather the mini anyway as I prefer small phones

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I don’t see a problem with buying the same phone again new if that’s what works for you. The SE 2022 will have a few more software updates yet I think.

Your options are limited it seems. Sucks you can’t use OLED.

Have you tried a restore and set up from new?

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I have a 2021 iPhone SE, and just upgraded the iOS (16.5) yesterday; have noticed NO slowdowns whatsoever.
I don't know if there's an iPhone equivalent of macOS's "Activity Monitor", but it sounds like you have malware (unlikely) or a hung app (slightly more likely) that's slowing your phone down.
Anyone?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Don't even know for sure if that would work. I'd rather the mini anyway as I prefer small phones

Why wouldn't it work? It's not like it's a brand new idea. We've seen these TFT incell LCD replacements since iPhone X.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I was having problems with my 13 being sluggish on the previous update. I had noticeable frame drops when maximising/minimising apps and scrolling through the menu. Those issues were resolved with iOS 16.5 and my phone is buttery smooth again. Your SE 2022 has the same A15 as my 13 so it should still be very capable. I would wait until the next update is released to see if it resolves your problems. You could also do a full reset and try again as your problem is software based rather than hardware.

You will probably need a battery replacement also as the SE 2022 is notorious for its poor battery life.

Other than that, you should be fine for the next 2-3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.