Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I got my SE2 last week. To me, it was an easy decision due to the newer processor in the SE, which means better long-term support for the device.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Apple has drawn a line between A12 and everything that came before it. Anything from Xr/Xs and forward would be recommended for longevity and access to latest features in iOS. The iPhone 8+ is A11 and so that puts it on the side of the line with “old” devices. 2020 SE (2) is A13 which is on the other side of the line with the “new” devices.

It’s my belief that people on the internet exaggerate the battery life problems of phones. The SE is no exception. It’ll be fine. Don’t worry.

Overall, your decision is going to be based on yours (and maybe your son’s) preferences of what is more important in a new iPhone.

* if battery life is the main concern, maybe 8+

* if screen sizes is important, bigger (8+) or smaller (SE)

* if support and features are important, SE

etc...

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Apple has drawn a line between A12 and everything that came before it. Anything from Xr/Xs and forward would be recommended for longevity and access to latest features in iOS. The iPhone 8+ is A11 and so that puts it on the side of the line with “old” devices. 2020 SE (2) is A13 which is on the other side of the line with the “new” devices.

It’s my belief that people on the internet exaggerate the battery life problems of phones. The SE is no exception. It’ll be fine. Don’t worry.

Overall, your decision is going to be based on yours (and maybe your son’s) preferences of what is more important in a new iPhone.

* if battery life is the main concern, maybe 8+

* if screen sizes is important, bigger (8+) or smaller (SE)

* if support and features are important, SE

etc...

Can you elaborate on this line that they drew? When did they do this? And how?

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Most predominantly the line was drawn with the Neural Engine. Partially affirmed by the announcement of the A12 Mac mini developer kit.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Most predominantly the line was drawn with the Neural Engine. Partially affirmed by the announcement of the A12 Mac mini developer kit.

The A11 was the first with a Neural Engine. That's why all the chips from A11 onward are called Bionic.

Not sure what the Mac DTK has to do with iPhone longevity.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
The A11 was the first with a Neural Engine. That's why all the chips from A11 onward are called Bionic.

Not sure what the Mac DTK has to do with iPhone longevity.

There’s something different about the A11 and A12 I haven’t found a resource yet. If I run across it I will try to remember to share.

I did find that ARKit 3 features are only on A12 and newer. There’s that if anyone cares ??‍♂️

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Buying a new phone for my son, the 8 plus and SE2 are the exact same price, My son is a teenager and teenagers are never off their phones and I have read battery life is bad on the SE2. Whats your thoughts?

It depends on the carrier, since the SE2 has newer/wider support. I personally would do the SE2 for both the carrier support and size (I didn't like the + size after using the 7+ for a year). YMMV for size :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
SE2 for the updated internals - the 8+ is halfway through its lifespan.

Early reports with the iOS 14 beta are showing that the 8 is Fairly sufficient in terms of battery management and subtle issues with the performance. When you start looking at iOS maturity in terms of Apple’s ‘A-Series’ processors, we have to stop looking at ‘lifespan‘ sequences, [Plus it really depends how you’re using your iPhone usage.]

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Early reports with the iOS 14 beta are showing that the 8 is Fairly sufficient in terms of battery management and subtle issues with the performance. When you start looking at iOS maturity in terms of Apple’s ‘A-Series’ processors, we have to stop looking at ‘lifespan‘ sequences, [Plus it really depends how you’re using your iPhone usage.]

The lifespan of iOS devices is not increasing dramatically... it increases by a year every 2-3 or so years, and the longest support we've got so far is the 5S which is equaled by the 6S... Unless the 6S gets iOS 15 then there has been no increase in longevity since the 5S.

The 8 is most definitely part way into its lifespan and Apple fairly regularly arbitrarily cuts device support.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Apple tend to cut support once the updates are too taxing for the devices capabilities. I can’t see Apple cutting support for the iPhone 8+ if it’s still capable of running the OS. Developers would cotton on to that one very quickly if they did.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The lifespan of iOS devices is not increasing dramatically... it increases by a year every 2-3 or so years, and the longest support we've got so far is the 5S which is equaled by the 6S... Unless the 6S gets iOS 15 then there has been no increase in longevity since the 5S.

The 8 is most definitely part way into its lifespan and Apple fairly regularly arbitrarily cuts device support.

I think the idea is that an entire generation of A9 to A13 devices has benefited from 5 years of major iOS support. Before A9, the expectation was 4 years of support while the iPhone 5s was an outlier.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2014
Michigan
We went for the SE in the end. A big worry was the battery life but we've been pleasantly surprised, easily lasts a day. I have an XR and to be honest I am thinking of getting myself an SE, there is a lot to be said for the small form factor

Glad it all worked out and he is happy. That was the most important part. SE2 is a great device. (Current owner).

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It depends on the carrier, since the SE2 has newer/wider support. I personally would do the SE2 for both the carrier support and size (I didn't like the + size after using the 7+ for a year). YMMV for size :)

I’m not getting the carrier support argument. Which carrier is the SE2 working with that the 8+ isn’t? And by that I mean real world carrier examples rather than looking at theoretical LTE band discussions.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
For me personally I would buy the 8 plus. It might not have the most current internals but it has a bigger display, 1080p resolution and has the telephoto lens for better portrait photos.

However it depends on what your son wants.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I would say if he likes newer devices and current trends then go for the SE2

8 plus is a great phone with a bigger screen and longer battery charge

Both are going to be fluent in performance and likes

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
There’s something different about the A11 and A12 I haven’t found a resource yet. If I run across it I will try to remember to share.

I did find that ARKit 3 features are only on A12 and newer. There’s that if anyone cares ??‍♂️

Do you mean the 7nm architecture?

Last edited:

Frankras

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
I would say if he likes newer devices and current trends then go for the SE2

8 plus is a great phone with a bigger screen and longer battery charge

Both are going to be fluent in performance and likes

Agree. I have them both and for normal use (mail, surf and stuff like that) I can’t tell them apart speed wise.

Side by side, yes, the SE2 is faster, but it’s nothing to write home about.

If you you like big phone and longer battery life and much better screen, then go for the 8 plus.

If you like small handy phone then go for the SE2. only issue with SE2 is battery life. But for me was a battery case the solution to use when needed.

Frank

Reactions: snipr125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.