Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hi Guy`s ,

I just read on the main page that there might be a Mac Mini refresh.

Would you opt for an SSD if you could ?

I would !! :D

Later ;)

Gary 

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
Hi Guy`s ,

I just read on the main page that there might be a Mac Mini refresh.

Would you opt for an SSD if you could ?

I would !! :D

Later ;)

Gary 

Right now, at this point in time, the lowest SSD upgrade is over $350. That's well over half what the base mini costs. A 128GB SSD added to the upper model mini--without any other additions--would cost as much as a base iMac.

Until the price of SSDs comes down, I can't see it being a practical option.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Not really. Maybe if they had a really cheap 30GB model available... But for now, anyone who would really need one probably has the chops to just add one themselves.

kyleh613

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
I don't want the SSD hard drives from Apple. I would rather buy my own either from Intel or OCZ because they make the best ones. The ones Apple offer are slow and kinda crappy.

I'm not sure if you can take the Mac Mini apart currently and throw an SSD drive in there or not.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Apple overcharges and doesn't use the best SSDs so, no, I don't. SSD in SuperDrive place along with nice 5400rpm HD is what I would get. Can't see Apple offering it

gilesybaby

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I'm not too fussed about a BTO with SSD but I would like to pop in a low volume SSD - maybe less than the aforementioned 80gb - I think the boot times using a SSD would make it a killer HTPC/general living-room based computer.

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
As a Mini 2.1. (GMA950 graphics) user, I'd say an SSD is a really great option.

My Intel 40gb SSD totally transformed the little brat. Boot times nearly halved, launch times down and hardly a beach ball in sight. Also, Sleep and Wake are virtually instantaneous.

SSDs are expensive and Apple probably doesn't want to dramatically raise prices or cut profits.... So either BTO or maybe some kind of Hybrid?
If anyone is going to find an elegant solution, it'll be Apple.

It'll be great, whatever it is,
Keri

HungrySeacow

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
West Palm Beach
I was tiered of how hot my office got with my Mac Pro Quad so I replaced it with a 2.0GHz 3rd-gen mini. The Quad had a very fast high density perpendicular recording hard drive and 6GBs of RAM. My mini has 4GBs of RAM and an Intel X25-M 2nd-gen 160GB SSD. With everyday use the mini feels much faster then the Mac Pro. Easily the best upgrade though expensive.

I don't think Apple would make SSD drives an option. The mini is a cheap mac but not a cheap computer which is the market it competes in. Not only that but even with my mini's aging 2.0GHz processor I don't feel any need to upgrade it yet. That's impressive considering I usually buy a new mac every year due to the need for a fast computer and my last computer was a 2007 Mac Pro Quad.

My mini is my favorite computer yet, even over the Mac Pro. It uses ~20 watts and launches all my programs in a handful of seconds right after boot. Oh, and if you thought your mini was quiet you'll be amazed once you replace the hard drive with an SSD. Not even a whisper :).

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
Hmmm...an SSD upgrade might be in the cards for my mini at some point soon. I'm upgrading the RAM and combo drive, so HDD might be a logical next step. Are there reasonably priced SSDs in the 80 GB range?

My main question with an HDD upgrade...how do you get all the stuff from the HDD onto the SDD? Do a timemachine and boot from that drive or something? Is there a tutorial out there?

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Why would you not want this option? Since it would be an option and not standard, don't get it if you don't want it. For those who do want it due to warranty coverage and not having to open the mini, they can get it.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Count me in as "dont care" crowd as I have a 2.26GHz mini and I put in an intel x25-m SSD in myself.

Basically the SSD drives that Apple offers are not the fastest or best out there. I would just buy the SSD drives myself and just upgrade it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.