Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you prefer the new iPad dock to come over to macOS?

• Yes

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • It doesn't matter.

Votes: 9 12.5%

• Total voters

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
Although it would have absolutely no effect on the functionality of the dock, would people prefer that macOS got a new dock design that is similar to the iPad dock in iOS 11? This would be purely for aesthetic and uniformity reasons.

Reactions: nortonandreev

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I voted yes. I have conflicts on the idea though. macOS and iOS are different and I’m conflicted on whether switching between things that look more similar but function differently would increase mental load or reduce it. In the end I voted yes for aesthetic reasons and don’t think that I’d personally have trouble resolving the disparity.

Reactions: Uni Grad

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
A big NO...!!!

The last time anything from iOS that came into contact with macOS (OS X Lion if I may), it screwed the entire OS upside down even until now.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The last time anything from iOS that came into contact with macOS (OS X Lion if I may), it screwed the entire OS upside down even until now.

Launchpad?? Or do you mean something else?

Didn't exactly replace anything, just gave you another option to view apps quickly with a nice trackpad gesture. Personally I didn't see the issue. Could you elaborate?

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Launchpad?? Or do you mean something else?

Didn't exactly replace anything, just gave you another option to view apps quickly with a nice trackpad gesture. Personally I didn't see the issue. Could you elaborate?

He must be talking about natural scrolling and the zoom feature. Personally, I fell like both were great additions to OS X. My gripe with Lion was not these features per se but the way Apple implemented them. It required developers to update their apps leading to inconsistent behavior across the OS. Nowadays, this is a non-issue.

AppleComputer

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
Cupertino, CA
Voted no, if it happens I will adapt though. It is sort of funny how iOS was born from OS X and now looking at the different paths they have taken in UI. To see changes to MacOS come from iOS is interesting and almost counterintuitive.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Although it would have absolutely no effect on the functionality of the dock, would people prefer that macOS got a new dock design that is similar to the iPad dock in iOS 11? This would be purely for aesthetic and uniformity reasons.

I would say No because its "new" on iPad, while on MacOS the dock always been there so we are just all "used to it" maybe different appearance, sometimes but its been there longer.

By the time we adapt though,, Apple will change something again. "constant adaption"

blackdogaudio

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2016
I'd like a completely transparent dock. Basically a fixed grouping of icons hovering over the wallpaper at the bottom of the screen that could be moved relative to one another or together as with the current dock. Why have that blurred background strip known as the dock ruining the aesthetics of the wallpaper when everyone knows by now the bottom portion of any OS interface is a dock or task bar for "docking" icons?

EDIT: Let's have an option to extend that transparency to the ever-present title bar as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: fischersd

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
I'd like a completely transparent dock. Basically a fixed grouping of icons hovering over the wallpaper at the bottom of the screen that could be moved relative to one another or together as with the current dock. Why have that blurred background strip known as the dock ruining the aesthetics of the wallpaper when everyone knows by now the bottom portion of any OS interface is a dock or task bar for "docking" icons?.

Similar to how some Linux distros do it?

blackdogaudio

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2016

Yep...and like the example below with Win 10 and a reg hack:

windows-10-completely-transparent-taskbar-864x540.png

AppleComputer

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I'd like a completely transparent dock. Basically a fixed grouping of icons hovering over the wallpaper at the bottom of the screen that could be moved relative to one another or together as with the current dock. Why have that blurred background strip known as the dock ruining the aesthetics of the wallpaper when everyone knows by now the bottom portion of any OS interface is a dock or task bar for "docking" icons?

EDIT: Let's have an option to extend that transparency to the ever-present title bar as well.

Cdock allows for transparent dock theme...

blackdogaudio

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2016
Correct...I'd rather wait for Apple or do without vs a third party hack. It's not that big of a deal, just a preference I'd add to a wish list.

Reactions: AppleComputer

AppleComputer

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
Cupertino, CA
Correct...I'd rather wait for Apple or do without vs a third party hack. It's not that big of a deal, just a preference I'd add to a wish list.

For sure, I agree it would be great to have a more customizable dock in macOS out of the box. I think it would be neat if you could flip back to the older dock themes also for example Mavericks dock and icons...

blackdogaudio

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2016
For sure, I agree it would be great to have a more customizable dock in macOS out of the box. I think it would be neat if you could flip back to the older dock themes also for example Mavericks dock and icons...

Agreed...I'm not a fan of the current Flat Look myself and would much prefer Maverick icons and its dock vs what we have now or customizable as you mentioned.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Agreed...I'm not a fan of the current Flat Look myself and would much prefer Maverick icons and its dock vs what we have now or customizable as you mentioned.

The Tiger and SL UI might look dated, but it looks beautiful still and works, dare I say, super snappily.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Use cDock. Been enjoying a fully transparent background Dock on my 5K iMac for some time now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.