Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you recommend me to update to iOS 11?

• Yes

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello

I usually wait several months before updating iOS. It appeared there has been many issues with iOS 11 and I don't know if they are now fixed.

I'm using an iPhone 6s running iOS 10.3.3 and my battery life is not great, only 5 hours I would say on average.

I am considering updating because of an app that can't work on iOS 10.

Would you recommend to updates for my case?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My iPhone X runs great on iOS 11.4.1. However, my SE is still on 10.3.3. Although my SE isn't my DD, it runs great and the battery is fantastic on iOS 10. With that said, I have heard some people say iOS 11 is great on their 6s and others that say the opposite.

In the end, it's up to you. iOS 11 certainly isn't going to cripple your 6s, so it may be worth it to update your device.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Hello

I usually wait several months before updating iOS. It appeared there has been many issues with iOS 11 and I don't know if they are now fixed.

I'm using an iPhone 6s running iOS 10.3.3 and my battery life is not great, only 5 hours I would say on average.

Absolutely not.

Reactions: ediks

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Depends. There is a lot of different feedback as @nburwell mentioned. Major concerns are about battery life, but they aren't much of them after iOS 11.4.1 update. Also people say that battery life is way better on iOS 12, and it's always better to upgrade from the previous iOS version instead of 2 versions before.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Oh ok. I'll change the battery and update then. Thanks for taking the time to answer my message!
[doublepost=1534838709][/doublepost]If I update but back-up before..it's impossible to go back because of change of OS, right?

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Oh ok. I'll change the battery and update then. Thanks for taking the time to answer my message!
[doublepost=1534838709][/doublepost]If I update but back-up before..it's impossible to go back because of change of OS, right?

Restoring a backup won't affect iOS version. The only limitation is that you can't restore a backup from newer iOS to the older one (for example restore a backup from iOS 11.4.1 to iOS 11.4). And as iOS 10.3.3 is no longer signed you won't be able to go back.

Restoring iOS 10.3.3 backup to iOS 11.4.1 should work fine.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Alright, thanks for your message. Meanwhile, I was reading some posts and there were a lot of complaints about iOS 11. So I'll wait for the 12 and the first user feedback.

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
Hello

It is not possible for us to answer, you know better if that app is a must. If yes, then you have the answer. If not, I would suggest you to wait for ios 12. It should be released in less than a month, and it should be an upgrade in terms of fluidity and battery life. I use ios 12 on my main phone (iphone SE) and I am loving it

Reactions: Plutonius

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
at this stage in the game definitely not... it might be alright but why chance it? not that many new features either for the potential tradeoff imo

just wait for iOS 12 and skip 11

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I'd wait and go with iOS 12, I've been very impressed with the latest betas. Very smooth and fast, haven't had any real issues. Makes my iPad pro 9.7 feel new again as far as performance goes.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Great. Thanks.

So confirm that iOS 12 is better than 11. But 11 was so bad...how does it compare to iOS 10? Is it better in battery life and responsiveness?

radubraharu

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2018
Romania
Battery life and ram management are better in iOS 10. In iOS 11 they shortened the animations, so for example if you open light stock apps (dialer, calendar, calculator, etc) they will seem to be loading faster, but if you load YouTube/WhatsApp/Gmail, etc, the performance is very similar.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
You are aware the $29 battery replacement will end this year and it will be more hectic going to an Apple store after the new phones are out.
If I were you I'd schedule the replacement ASAP, they are running about a week or so now, just enough time to get in and get out before the stores are overun.
I have two 6s Plus with new batteries still on 10.3.3, may go to 12.
Have a 7 Plus on 11.1, I'm going to move to 11.4.1 because its on 11 already. And then go to 12.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Sure I plan to go end of the month as I am traveling to Europe this week. Thanks for the advice!

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
iOS 11 was literally the worst version of iOS I’ve delt with to date. I’ve been through iOS 7- now and iOS 11 was terrible on my iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen. iOS 12 looks to reverse most of the issues however

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
I tend to think of it as best practice to always upgrade to the most recent updates available, even if solely for security purposes. I switched to the Apple ecosystem almost solely because of the frustration of never being able to upgrade my Android devices to the most updated version without spending a weekend rooting and installing custom ROMs and tweaking the hell out of it.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
You can read posts that say "the current operating system is bad" about every version of every operating system. In another couple of weeks we'll be bombarded with a fresh crop saying that "iOS 12 is the worst ever." That's one of the basic truths about life. There will always people who prefer the good old days. Some in the middle will wait for something to be "tried and true." There will always be others who feel the future can't arrive soon enough.

I'm alway running beta software, so that puts me into the last category. I'll be upgrading my non-test iOS and Mac devices to the newest OSes the moment they're released - I've already been testing them on other machines and they're running very, very well.

However, if you are cautious about upgrading software but do want the new features that come with software upgrades, you'd better upgrade to iOS 11 right now - it's been tested and debugged as much as it ever will be, and it works pretty darn well. In another week or so your only choice if you want to upgrade will be iOS 12.0 and macOS 10.14, which are only at the beginning of their journey towards being "mature."

Reactions: cwerdna

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
I'd upgrade to 11.4.1. If you wait until Monday morning Pacific time, you will have challenges upgrading to 11.4.1 as iOS 12 will be out. And, once Apple stops signing 11.4.1, you won't be able to upgrade to that at all.

FWIW, I have an iPhone 8. It came w/iOS 11.0.x. It's not like I had a choice. I bought the phone in late Nov 2017. There have been some issues for me that I think got introduced around iOS 11.4 or possibly 11.3 that are intermittent and hard to repro.

I certainly would not update my primary phone to a major iOS version the day of. I always wait a few days to see if there are major probs reported in the press and then update my least used device (iPad mini 2). Then I update my next most used device (iPad Pro 10.5"). My primary phone (iPhone 8 currently) comes last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.