Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Simple question with a not-so-simple answer.

For me, it depends. The more I think about it, the more I think it could definitely be a laptop OS. People who are able to use a Chromebook, for example, would likely easily transition to a mobile OS. There would have to be some app changes, of course, to run with a mouse and keyboard if the mobile OS of choice doesn't allow it.

But what do you think?

Also, which would you run?

Last edited:

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Having used my HP Google Chromebook with no problems would be willing to give a mobile OS a try.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I just thought of a secondary question to ask, and so I'll edit it in.

But I'll also ask it here:
Which mobile OS, if you would run one, would you run on your laptop/desktop?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Why would it need to happen though? I'm perfectly fine with my iPad Mini that lives in a Clamcase, which I use 1Password, Editorial/Ulysses/TextExpander, Solver, Polarr, Safari, and Mail on. I AirDrop stuff from my iPhone 5S to it all the time.

Bigger screen? Bigger keyboard?

I've booted a few versions of Android on my MacBook Pros. It's fine. But it would be iOS -> Windows Phone -> Android in that order in preference. Android can easily support a mouse, but it lacks in other things that both iOS and WP excel in, at least for my use case. Even little things like OneDrive integration, compared to Google Drive are better.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

For me, it depends. The more I think about it, the more I think it could definitely be a laptop OS. People who are able to use a Chromebook, for example, would likely easily transition to a mobile OS. There would have to be some app changes, of course, to run with a mouse and keyboard if the mobile OS of choice doesn't allow it.

But what do you think?

Chrome and Android all already merging. It is a matter of when this happens over if.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Chrome and Android all already merging. It is a matter of when this happens over if.

I think there is an inherent difference between running Android apps on Chrome OS and running Android on a laptop.

Why would it need to happen though? I'm perfectly fine with my iPad Mini that lives in a Clamcase, which I use 1Password, Editorial/Ulysses/TextExpander, Solver, Polarr, Safari, and Mail on. I AirDrop stuff from my iPhone 5S to it all the time.

Bigger screen? Bigger keyboard?

I've booted a few versions of Android on my MacBook Pros. It's fine. But it would be iOS -> Windows Phone -> Android in that order in preference. Android can easily support a mouse, but it lacks in other things that both iOS and WP excel in, at least for my use case. Even little things like OneDrive integration, compared to Google Drive are better.

Basically.

Bigger screen, better keyboard, better processor, better and more RAM, and more space. Essentially, better and more powerful hardware.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
While I love my MBP, with the prospects of multi-functionality (mostly mulit-window) on an iPad Pro and considering I really don't use all the horsepower on my Mac too often, I'm thinking I could almost entirely migrate to a 12"+ iPad, assuming it has really good keyboard option. So I don't want a Mobile OS on a laptop as much as I'd rather have a really good tablet with a quality keyboard.

I picked up a 12" MacBook (really great deal from another MR member) for my wife to use at work (she needs easily ultra portability and the most robust work it'll be used for is word processing and slide presentation) and the form factor is pretty amazing. Replicate that with an iPad Pro and I may be convinced to pass along my MBP.

As it presently stands, and assuming the iPad Pro can live up to the hype, my ideal setup will be a Mac Mini acting primarily as a media server but available for more robust tasks, if needed, with an iPad Pro for lighter duty work around the house and mobile use.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Why bother? I'm very excited about windows 10 and docking your phone, turning it into a full desktop experience.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I think there is an inherent difference between running Android apps on Chrome OS and running Android on a laptop.
You are still separating the two. Think of Chrome as a wrapper that accesses all your info and apps as native api's. The Android SDK is still used to create apps, but they can be run in multiple environments natively. So, regardless of what you are doing on your phone, you can continue on a tablet, pc or anything else running chrome os.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
You are still separating the two. Think of Chrome as a wrapper that accesses all your info and apps as native api's. The Android SDK is still used to create apps, but they can be run in multiple environments natively. So, regardless of what you are doing on your phone, you can continue on a tablet, pc or anything else running chrome os.

Chrome OS needs to have apps repackaged to work on Chrome OS. I think there are limits as to what can be repackaged. I don't think the two will ever fully become one.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I would love to have one OS to run on all my devices. But I have some requirements for that OS.
Here are a few that would need to have it run on all my devices

1) Apps....Apps.....Apps......Apps..... Did i say Apps
2) Have a file system in the OS that is not app dependant.
3) Unified look and feel across all devices
4) singular cloud storage system that will work with all devices and is cross platform.
5) Applications that will work across all devices and have the basically the same look and feel and functionality

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
For me I like the full-blown version of Windows on laptop and desktop. Plus a mobile O/S won't be able to support my requirements for what I need a desktop/laptop to do.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I would love to have one OS to run on all my devices. But I have some requirements for that OS.
Here are a few that would need to have it run on all my devices

1) Apps....Apps.....Apps......Apps..... Did i say Apps
2) Have a file system in the OS that is not app dependant.
3) Unified look and feel across all devices
4) singular cloud storage system that will work with all devices and is cross platform.
5) Applications that will work across all devices and have the basically the same look and feel and functionality

If not for the first, I'd say you're talking about Windows 10. XD

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

But what do you think?

I'm sold on the 2-in-1 hybrid model... notebook/tablet.

I've got my eye on the Jide Remix. It is a Microsoft Surface hardware clone that runs RemixOS (Android that has been customized to work like a desktop OS) Android has proven itself as a mobile OS. The additions that the Jide team has made to Android help to give it desktop OS-like tendencies.

From a software/application perspective, I'd like to see iOS enhanced a bit to support a similar model. But it is much further from that point than Android is and Apple's reluctance to move it in that direction makes it seem improbable.

Why bother? I'm very excited about windows 10 and docking your phone, turning it into a full desktop experience.
File that capability in the same folder as "custom blades for the Microsoft Surface". :p

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I could function on an iPad with a good keyboard. In fact I did for about a year before getting my Macbook Air.

Tablets can prove to be quite versatile if you commit to navigating within their merits and understanding their confines.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
cBopuQu.jpg

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
Android or IOS either one!

But i still think Windows is a better desktop OS on laptops, desktops, So i would rather buy a Windows laptop but that will never happen as i will never ever buy a laptop again!!.

So it most likely be 2-1 hybrid/Windows tablet like the Acer Aspire Switch 11, Dell Venue Pro 11 for me.

Let me break it down for you!

IOS and Android is a great mobile OS for tablets, Not soo much for laptops, Desktops.

Windows is a great OS for laptops, Desktops but not that great OS for tablets!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.