Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
My lappy decided it wanted to commit suicide yesterday by jumping off my desk while open so I'm going to need to buy something mobile soon. In the short term I'll just use my work MacBook Pro but I know I'm not going to want to for very long. I've been pondering replacing my laptop with a tablet but none in the amount I'm willing to seem all that appealing i.e. I'd love a Pixel C but I'm just not going to pay that much. Which brings us to the Nexus 9 it's in the price range used that I'm willing to pay it's got the right aspect ratio but it's no spring chicken. I figure if the consensus is the 9 is a no-go I'll look for a fanless ARM chomebook of about the same size.

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
I purchased a Nexus 9 earlier this year as it was heavily discounted, it was at 50% of its retail price and I figured I couldn't go wrong with it at that price.

That device is plagued with multiple issues, the first and most glaring issue is seen as soon as you boot it up. HTC chose to use poor quality panels and thus there is huge amounts of backlight bleeding through. The unit I got had relatively minor backlight bleeding but others were not as fortunate.

The processor used in the Nexus 9 is extremely powerful but horribly inefficient. Literally the only time the Nexus 9 will remain cool is if it's idling on the home screen with no apps in the background. Turn in the Web browser and browse for a minute and the thing turns into a hand warmer immediately and then begins to thermally throttle itself.

There is also countless issues in the software which causes lock ups and random reboots. On top of all that it takes literally 8 hours to fully charge with a 2.1amp charger yet the battery doesn't last for 6 hours of continuous use.

I'm happy I got rid of mine as the experience is not worth even the $200 or so I paid. I can't imagine paying full price for such a garbage product.

Your best bet is to avoid it and either purchase an iPad or one of Samsung's Galaxy Tab device like the Tab S2.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
After owning several Android tablets I just have one advice: get an iPad. Most Google services are on iOS, battery life, and especially standby, are just outstanding. Having apps that are actually made for tablets is a big plus too.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Actually after I told my wife and didn't get the expected lecture about me being clumsy and not paying attention I told her I was looking at a System76 Lemur and she didn't say anything so I'll assume her not telling me no is permission

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
After owning several Android tablets I just have one advice: get an iPad. Most Google services are on iOS, battery life, and especially standby, are just outstanding. Having apps that are actually made for tablets is a big plus too.
Pretty old topic, I'm sorry for replying, but um…When I was about to purchase iPad mini 2 everybody recommended me an Android tablet. It's a matter of opinion. There are great Android tablets out there as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.