Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use an Apple Pencil with your iPhone?

• Hell, yes!

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Absolutely not!

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • Meh, perhaps occasionally.

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Given the increasing size, do we want to see future iPhones to work with an Apple Pencil?
And if it happens, would you use it?

It's a very Samsung thing, and I doubt Apple would make a smaller built in version, but rather just make the Pencil compatible.

I think it would just make signing documents on your phone easier, jot down a few notes or sketch out a few ideas while waiting for the train.

Thoughts and votes please. :)

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
i was thinking about that the other week. i bought a cheap third party pencil to see if i would use it much and the answer is no, but i was surprised it didnt work on my iphone and i was thinking id be more likely to use it on my phone, to take notes quickly at work, where i wouldnt have my ipad near me.

im old enough to remember palm and handspring pdas when it was normal to use a pencil and a small gadget.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I only picked "Other" as my No is less "Absolutely Not!!" and more of a nuanced, "most likely no, as I don't seeing useful to my needs".

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Assuming it happens, where would the pencil go when your out with your phone? What if you forget it? People complain about the size of the phone and the size of their pockets right now - pockets too small or phone too big.

What if you sit on it, like a lot of people sit on their phones?

Another thing to remember to grab on my way out the door?

I still have my first smartphone, the HTC Touch Pro. It came with a stylus. To this day, the primary use of that stylus has been to scratch my ears. I really have no use for an Apple Pencil with an iPhone.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Assuming it happens, where would the pencil go when your out with your phone? What if you forget it? People complain about the size of the phone and the size of their pockets right now - pockets too small or phone too big.

What if you sit on it, like a lot of people sit on their phones?

Another thing to remember to grab on my way out the door?

I still have my first smartphone, the HTC Touch Pro. It came with a stylus. To this day, the primary use of that stylus has been to scratch my ears. I really have no use for an Apple Pencil with an iPhone.

All good points.

It's just that I can't see Apple of today doing the built-in-stylus route. It would almost be an omission that Samsung had it right all along.

They could make short version of the Apple Pencil that slides into a loop inside an iPhone wallet style case. But again, I think that's highly unlikely.

Instead, I could see Apple continue to push the Apple Pencil as primarily an iPad accessory.

But it simply gains utility for those times you may want to use with your iPhone.

Reactions: eyoungren

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
It would be useful for me to hand sign normally pdfs instead of fingers. Also stylus would help to press buttons on the computer with precision - controlling windows/mac from a phone using a team viewer is a bit wonky given fingers are much bugger than a pen tip.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
Yeah, I think I’d give it a shot. I think swipe typing and/or handwriting to text with it would be much easier than my chubby fingers.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It would require the iPhone to have an integrated slot for storing the pencil, for me to entertain the thought, like the Palm devices had, but Apple would never do that.

Moncler

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2024
I haven't used a pen in about 5 years in real life, just like I would never use an apple pencil.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Nope never for me, I know I'd lose the damn thing! So better to stick with my fingers lol.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
been thinking about it more, and i would definitely use it at work, but only if someone created a note taking app where instead of being able to write anywere, it had a little box exactly like Palm had. the idea of grabbing a wee stubby pen and scribbling notes in meetings, and then having a share button to send it to any app, that for me is a goer. there's nothing worse than when you get caught out without a pen and you try to take some notes in your phone and spend half the time deleting your typos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.