Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
a dongle and an external monitor can nullify these pretty big differences.

I do my entire engineering job on an m2 mba, I'll probably never return to the pro line. More money for not that much improvement. I'm not doing large local renders, and when doing intensive work that takes a few minutes of cpu I wouldn't really care or notice if it was 20% faster.
Every single performance aspect of the MBP is better: display, audio, ports, memory bandwidth, available RAM, external display support, etc. Heck, just compare the 100% different spec lists.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Every single performance aspect of the MBP is better: display, audio, ports, memory bandwidth, available RAM, external display support, etc. Heck, just compare the 100% different spec lists.
We will see but I suspect memory bandwidth, available RAM will be the same between M3 MBA and M3 MBP. But it will be better for the M3Pro and M3Max MBP

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
We will see but I suspect memory bandwidth, available RAM will be the same between M3 MBA and M3 MBP. But it will be better for the M3Pro and M3Max MBP
You are right. It is very likely that the lowest possible version of M3 MBP will share some specs with M3 MBA. But the point is that MBP choices are much better in every category. What Apple has been doing with memory bandwidth in particular is kind of curious. Maybe they are figuring out how to optimize around UMA.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
...but it doesn't. The M3 MBP has been available for about 4 months already and a new Air release date hasn't even been announced yet. Anyone who wanted a new MBP either already purchased it or if they weren't convinced to buy one until now then if a new Air convinces them to finally make a purchase Apple won regardless. Once you buy an Apple device and are hopefully happy with it you might keep buying them and recommending Apple devices to friends and family.

Well I'm not a new convert. I have been using Apple for much of my life since my early teens. Plus I have recommended Apple to other people.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm most likely going to wait for this supposed March event to see if Apple does in fact release M3 MacBook Air. I'm looking to upgrade from my 2015 15" MacBook Pro. But wouldn't an M3 MBA be so close in spec to a M3 MBP that it hurts M3 MBP sales? No point getting an M3 MBP when an M3 MBA exists.
I've thought about this off and on. I think Apple is going to position the 14" non-Pro/non-Max M3 variant MacBook Pro as having ports, active cooling and a better screen and that will be one's reasoning for selecting it over a 13"/15" MacBook Air with the same M3 configurations. I agree that the functional difference in computing power will still be too negligible to have it make sense that there are three different ways of having base M3 in a notebook. But that'll probably be what "justifies" there being a 13" MacBook Air, a 15-inch MacBook Air, and a 2-Thunderbolt Ports configuration 14" MacBook Pro, all with the same M3 options.

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2021
I don't know that Apple needs to position the MBA vs the base model MBP as anything other than cheaper.

Over time I've come to realize that the lower-end MBPs aren't necessarily purchased for their capabilities, many times they're purchased because someone who sends emails and pushes online spreadsheets back and forth is a professional and "needs" (demands) a "pro" laptop. So IT goes and buys them a "pro" laptop. They happily set it on their desk where it will live 90% of the time, plug their old monitor into it, and are happily "pro"-ing away. Even though the Air could do precisely the same job just as well at a reduced price.

In my opinion the brand and naming scheme sell those base model MBPs more than anything else.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
In any case I do feel like it may be time for an upgrade from my 2015 MBP. Even the screen saver makes the fans spin up like crazy. Same with watching Youtube. Simple tasks shouldn't make the fans spin up at all or at least not be noticeable.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I'm most likely going to wait for this supposed March event to see if Apple does in fact release M3 MacBook Air. I'm looking to upgrade from my 2015 15" MacBook Pro. But wouldn't an M3 MBA be so close in spec to a M3 MBP that it hurts M3 MBP sales? No point getting an M3 MBP when an M3 MBA exists.

Why? The M3 MBP is still a superior machine as it has 120hz display with mini-LED, better speakers, doesn't thermal throttle.

The problem with the M2 MBP was that it was still based on the old design. But this is fixed now.

If my M2 MBA dies, I am going for the 14" MBP instead of an other MBA most likely.

Last edited:

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
- 120 Hz mini-led VS 60 Hz LCD
- HDMI and SD card reader

Pretty big differences

You forgot the M3 MBP also having cooling fan, and thats the biggest difference, special if your needs involve long processor intensive work. And if thats your needs, then the base M3 Pro would be better choice anyways.

Thats why the M3 MBP is a bit of a lemon in their lineup…

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
For my simple (not processor intensive) workflows, the MBA would be a slam dunk winner except that I dock to a dual external monitor setup, and I hate having to install DisplayLink.

You're not alone. My friend group has a couple executives who've been MBA users since the very first one.
Their one main requirement is being able to have 2 external monitors when they plug in at their office.

They need and want nothing about the MBP -- but are forced to choose it for the dual external monitors

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Apple wants you to buy Apple hardware. If your choice is between an Air or a Pro, they are happy.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
You're not alone. My friend group has a couple executives who've been MBA users since the very first one.
Their one main requirement is being able to have 2 external monitors when they plug in at their office.

They need and want nothing about the MBP -- but are forced to choose it for the dual external monitors
It’s absurd that we pay the “Apple premium” when you could just go by a cheap ass Windows PC for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price, but you can’t use more than one external display.

They really didn’t have to gimp the MBA as hard as they did.

And that’s why you get the Pro, which is exactly what they want you to do…

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
With clouding you probably mean blooming. It's more noticeable in a dark room, so some people who only sit at the computer during daytime might not notice it much. In HDR content it's still visible depending on the content. It's an inherent flaw of this panel and it's the cost for the high brightness and HDR capabilities. As are the bad response times leading to excessive ghosting with this panel, which is the other drawback. Unfortunately it's either this or the old type of display panel that the Airs use. But new OLED panels should come soon enough so hopefully Apple will switch the Macbooks to better panels with M5 or M6.
Can confirm the blooming is still there on the M3. But I guess it doesn’t really bother me nor has it ever. I’ve only noticed it with high contrast (i.e. white on black) content in a very dark room. That screen with its ultra black blacks is still worth it to me.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I have both 13 inch m2 and 14 inch base M3. Generally speaking, 14 inch is more expensive and has great speakers and displays. Air's main strength is being lightweight. For light computing Air is enough. For something more intensive 14 inch is maybe better. I will sell M2 Air and keep 14 inch as a main machine.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
I hope they made Air cheaper somehow. I love Air 15 but it’s too expensive. I don’t need M2. Give me 15 form factor with M1 and lower price. But that won’t happen of course, I know.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I hope they made Air cheaper somehow. I love Air 15 but it’s too expensive. I don’t need M2. Give me 15 form factor with M1 and lower price. But that won’t happen of course, I know.
Just get it from the refurb store

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
It’s absurd that we pay the “Apple premium” when you could just go by a cheap ass Windows PC for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price, but you can’t use more than one external display.

They really didn’t have to gimp the MBA as hard as they did.

And that’s why you get the Pro, which is exactly what they want you to do…
Ultrawide is the way forward

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Not available in my country :( Also here base model starts 1650€ with 8gb of RAM. Probably enough for me but if I wanted 16gb it would cost 1880€.
Other option would be buying used if you can’t buy (or find) refurb and new are to expensive for you.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Other option would be buying used if you can’t buy (or find) refurb and new are to expensive for you.
It’s not that I don’t have money for it. More like can’t justify the high price. I wouldn’t buy used because those aren’t exactly cheap either and I like new one out of the box with warranty. I’m just going to keep using my current machine until it’s unusable and then update. Same thing I do with iPhone. Still hope those machines would be a bit cheaper here in EU.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
It’s not that I don’t have money for it. More like can’t justify the high price. I wouldn’t buy used because those aren’t exactly cheap either and I like new one out of the box with warranty. I’m just going to keep using my current machine until it’s unusable and then update. Same thing I do with iPhone. Still hope those machines would be a bit cheaper here in EU.
I get your point. But cos of inflation they will get more expensive.

I bought my Macs always used from ebay Germany. Some professional resellers offer 30day send back options. So maybe that’s something for u. Private its a different story. in 20 years i made 2 bad deals

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.