Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
The iPhone photo processing has been talked about a lot but wouldn’t it be nice if they just allowed a toggle either in the app or in settings somewhere to just turn it off? I love love love my 14 pro camera and most of the time the processing doesn’t bother me but sometimes it does.

You know when you take a photo and then you quickly go to look and it and you are like wow this is great and then about a second or two later and “chink” the iPhone processing kicks in and changes the photo? I wish we could just turn that off sometimes or revert the picture in photos afterwards. You guys know what I’m talking about right? The original image looks great but then the iPhone processing magic takes over and sometimes it over sharpens and/or brightens up parts of the photo and it just doesn’t look right or natural.

Anyways how about a toggle for this in iOS 17.3 or 17.4? :) Is it too much to ask? Or does this already exist and I’m just out of touch?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
The iPhone photo processing has been talked about a lot but wouldn’t it be nice if they just allowed a toggle either in the app or in settings somewhere to just turn it off? I love love love my 14 pro camera and most of the time the processing doesn’t bother me but sometimes it does.

You know when you take a photo and then you quickly go to look and it and you are like wow this is great and then about a second or two later and “chink” the iPhone processing kicks in and changes the photo? I wish we could just turn that off sometimes or revert the picture in photos afterwards. You guys know what I’m talking about right? The original image looks great but then the iPhone processing magic takes over and sometimes it over sharpens and/or brightens up parts of the photo and it just doesn’t look right or natural.

Anyways how about a toggle for this in iOS 17.3 or 17.4? :) Is it too much to ask? Or does this already exist and I’m just out of touch?
Man oh man the Settings app would scroll for days if Apple added a toggle for everything people have said “just makes sense to offer so we have the choice” over the years.

I, for one, appreciate the simplicity of the OS even though it’s a far cry from what it was in the beginning. I’m sure there’s more options and features I’ve discovered/learned and forgotten about than there are those that I use.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is that an iPhone 14 thing? Don't think I've ever seen it on my 11 Pro Max, which is my primary phone.

Of course, 99% of my pictures are of stuff on grocery shelves so my wife can make a choice, while the rest are generally pics of the tech stuff I own. So not sure I'd notice anyway.

Doug Vann

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2017
Pike Bay, Ontario
Is that an iPhone 14 thing? Don't think I've ever seen it on my 11 Pro Max, which is my primary phone.

Of course, 99% of my pictures are of stuff on grocery shelves so my wife can make a choice, while the rest are generally pics of the tech stuff I own. So not sure I'd notice anyway.
LOL I do the exact same thing in the grocery store.....

Reactions: RRC and eyoungren

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011

Maybe it is an iPhone 14 thing I’m not sure. I went from an iPhone 7 to a 14 pro so I haven’t seen much in between.

It’s really weird to take a picture and and you are like wow that looks really nice and then the “higher quality” photo snaps into place and you sometimes cringe inside. Sometimes it’s really nice but other times it just doesn’t look natural depending on the shot and I miss my iPhone 7 camera!

Maybe the who clinking into place of the higher quality photos started with the Deep Fusion? I’m not sure.

Reactions: eyoungren

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Man oh man the Settings app would scroll for days if Apple added a toggle for everything people have said “just makes sense to offer so we have the choice” over the years.

I, for one, appreciate the simplicity of the OS even though it’s a far cry from what it was in the beginning. I’m sure there’s more options and features I’ve discovered/learned and forgotten about than there are those that I use.
I get that and I’ve been using the iPhone since the iPhone 4 back in 2010. If you look at the settings app now compared to iOS 4 my oh my she has grown! I’m just asking for 1 more super important toggle (IMO and lots of others) in the camera section of settings app or even better put in on the app it self somewhere. It could even be a pro only feature to shut off the processing! :)

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I know exactly what you're talking about and 100% agree. The setting used to exist (I think on 12 pro models and earlier) and then they took it away. If I recall correctly, it was an Auto HDR setting that could be disabled. In perfect lighting scenarios it seems to grab a picture just fine, but as soon as conditions aren't ideal it starts processing a great deal which sometimes works against you.

I've been in scenarios that I simply can't capture a picture that's accurate to what I'm seeing for some reason. Unfortunately the best solution is to capture a RAW image and edit it later on.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I get that and I’ve been using the iPhone since the iPhone 4 back in 2010. If you look at the settings app now compared to iOS 4 my oh my she has grown! I’m just asking for 1 more super important toggle (IMO and lots of others) in the camera section of settings app or even better put in on the app it self somewhere. It could even be a pro only feature to shut off the processing! :)
I think an in-app setting would be ideal for something like that. The less we have to bounce between apps the better, especially considering the timing of our shots.

Reactions: imagineadam

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Can confirm the iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max don’t suffer from the terrible over sharpening the newer devices can get, plus you can also turn off Smart HDR, something Apple should never have gotten rid of!
iOS 17 however is rumoured to provide better photos due to less aggressive processing.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
If you go to settings/photos then turn off View Full HDR it helps with the over brightening of the pictures. So this is kind of like turning off the smart hdr after the fact a little bit? I dunno.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.