Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
EDIT: NEVER MIND ? See posts 3-4. Apparently you CAN cancel your annual prepaid subscription and still use the apps/services through your subscription period. The issue is the wording during the cancellation process is very confusing and seemingly contradictory. Not sure if that's just poor writing skills or on purpose to try to "scare" you from cancelling.

ORIGINAL POST:
I'm not overly impressed with Acrobat Pro DC for $180/year nor with Adobe's apathetic technical support to an issue I've been having (OCR working inconsistently), so I've decided not to renew my subscription next year.

Basically ANY other subscription software/service I've ever used allows you to cancel auto-renewal so you don't accidentally get charged again OR simply cancel your subscription while being allowed access to the software/service through the end of the current subscription period.

Apparently Adobe does not allow either of those options. They specifically state you can't turn off automatic renewal, and when I went to cancel the subscription instead, there's a screen that says you will immediately lose access to all paid features of the app (even though I already paid $180 thru July 2022) with no prorated refund offered.

That is just stupid.

Yeah, I know, put a calendar reminder in for July of next year and all that, but I like to just take care of things NOW in case something goes wrong with that (and then it will likely be like pulling teeth to get a refund from them if I get charged again).

And, yes, I'm sure it's all in the legal jargon you agree to when you sign up, etc. but it's one of those things that you just assume is common sense and don't even think to look up to see if they have a stupid policy regarding it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire and max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I'm not overly impressed with Acrobat Pro DC for $180/year nor with Adobe's apathetic technical support to an issue I've been having (OCR working inconsistently), so I've decided not to renew my subscription next year.

Basically ANY other subscription software/service I've ever used allows you to cancel auto-renewal so you don't accidentally get charged again OR simply cancel your subscription while being allowed access to the software/service through the end of the current subscription period.

Apparently Adobe does not allow either of those options. They specifically state you can't turn off automatic renewal, and when I went to cancel the subscription instead, there's a screen that says you will immediately lose access to all paid features of the app (even though I already paid $180 thru July 2022) with no prorated refund offered.

That is just stupid.

Yeah, I know, put a calendar reminder in for July of next year and all that, but I like to just take care of things NOW in case something goes wrong with that (and then it will likely be like pulling teeth to get a refund from them if I get charged again).

And, yes, I'm sure it's all in the legal jargon you agree to when you sign up, etc. but it's one of those things that you just assume is common sense and don't even think to look up to see if they have a stupid policy regarding it.
Agree! Very stupid.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Ok, after I posted that, I found this policy on Adobe's website that seems to contradict a page during the cancellation process:

Cancellation Terms​

You can cancel your subscription anytime via your Adobe Account page or by contacting Customer Support*. If you cancel within 14 days of your initial order, you’ll be fully refunded. Should you cancel after 14 days, your payment is non-refundable, and your service will continue until the end of your contracted term.

Yet when I try to cancel my subscription (which is annual, prepaid), I get this:
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 12.33.27 AM.png

To me, that sounds like my service is NOT continuing through the end of my contracted term, but ending TODAY.

Reactions: max2

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Ok, I guess I should have kept hitting continue, because the last screen says my plan will not end until 7/24/2022. But right under that it says I "no longer have" (present tense) access to the applications or services . . . it doesn't add "AFTER YOUR CURRENT PLAN ENDS". VERY confusing the way they word this! I ended up completing the cancellation process and am still able to use the app.

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 12.36.13 AM.png

Now my account says this:

1633754595097.png

So all is well now!

Reactions: BigMcGuire and max2

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
No calls to customer service for an explanation?

Read my edit at the top of the OP.

Also, when it comes to issues of cancellation, I try my best to avoid having to contact customer service, as they often will badger you to death to not cancel instead of helping you cancel. It's quite annoying. I had a bad experience with SiriusXM (who doesn't allow online cancellations) where I wasted over an hour with them demanding they cancel my subscription immediately.

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
This is why any subscription service is a 'dogs dinner'.
Once you stop, you lose everything.....
Perpetual all the way....?

No thanks Adobe, etc.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
This is why any subscription service is a 'dogs dinner'.
Once you stop, you lose everything.....
Perpetual all the way....?

No thanks Adobe, etc.

I wasn't complaining about that (after all, I don't WANT to continue to use it) - I was complaining that it appeared they were going to cut me off right away (instead of at the end of my subscription period). Even though I'm not fully satisfied with the software, I might as well continue to use it for the period I paid for. Thankfully, that turned out to be the case, despite their poor wording.

Reactions: MarkC426
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.