Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torrid30

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Illinois
Is anyone else having problems with WoW crashing on them? It started happening yesterday and it keeps happening...It's not really a crash, more so that the game just freezes up and I can't do anything. I get the spinning pinwheel and I can't force quit or go to any other programs. So I have to Hard Reset the computer. Any ideas would be helpful. I'll reinstall as a last resort (which is coming up very quickly). Thanks

JWFerne

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2006
yeah, funny you say that. I had wow crash to the desktop 3 times yesterday. I didn't add any new plugin's or do anythign that should have changed the game. The last time I logged prior to that was Thursday and everything was fine then.

I wonder if some code got changed on their end?

p.s. how's the 24in 2.8ghz iMac playing Wow for you? Thinking of getting one myself

torrid30

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Illinois
p.s. how's the 24in 2.8ghz iMac playing Wow for you? Thinking of getting one myself

I love it. I've had times when I was getting over 120 FPS (according to Titan Panel) and I'm generally around 40-60 FPS. So besides this freezing/crashing, it's been perfect.

JWFerne

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2006
did the game crashing stop? i haven't had a chance to play today yet, so I can't report back if mine is working or not.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I remember reading about a bug in the graphics driver/WoW with the 2600 in the new iMacs. There's a patch coming/already here(?) and there was also a work around (disabling some feature maybe?)... I don't have one of the new iMacs (yet), and I don't play WoW (although I think I'm going to start) so I don't remember all the details, but I'm pretty certain I read something about this just recently. Take a look at the WoW Mac forums - you should be able to find the details there.

Hope that helps... :)

Fnord

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2005
I was going to Alterac Valley a lot this weekend (double honor), and several times when leaving the battleground I got disconnected from the server or WoW crashed to the desktop. Since I wasn't actually anywhere or doing anything it wasn't a big inconvenience.

Oddly, neither the Blizzard error reporter or Apple's "The application 'whatever' has unexpectedly quit, would you like to send a report to Apple or relaunch it" (or something like that, it's been a long time since I've seen it) popped up.

I have a dual G5 PowerMac.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
This freezing problem is somewhat of a known issue with the latest generation iMacs. I don't play WoW, but I have read of identical things happening (and a possible solution). I have the same problem, only with UT2004.
The good news is, it appears to be a software/driver problem with the 2600pro/xt graphics card. In which case, Apple will (or had better!) fix it in a forthcoming software update.
A post I read on the Apple discussion forums suggested pixel shaders are to blame. And I believe WoW has an option in the game settings to turn pixel shader effects off? In which case, try that, and the problem should go away.
Also, does this happen in fullscreen and windowed mode? Try changing it. This may also help in WoW.

Unfortunately, my iMacs freezing issue with UT2004 is harder to fix, because there is no simple "pixel shader effects" check box to turn off. So unless I crank absolutely everything down to the bare minimum of settings, it will freeze at some random point a few minutes into a game. So its a process of trial and error to see what i can enable again without it freezing up.
In the mean time, it seems like less hassle to make do with playing it on my old G5 iMac and wait for an update to the new iMac to fix the problem.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.