Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlyxSharkBite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2020
So I'm moving to a Mac last one I had was a PowerMac G4 450MHz that I had got brand new in 99. I really loved that machine I love my other Apple stuff iPhone, iPad etc. I also really miss the macOs. I eventually moved to PC for gaming.

Fast forward to now and the only games I've played in the last 4 years have been WoW and ESO.

So decided that since 80% of my time is writing .Net Core web applications and APIs which can be done nicely on a Mac these days it was time to switch back.

So I ordered up an iMac 27" with the Core i9 Vega 48 2Tb SSD and a 64Gb OWC RAM kit. Don't know when it will arrive given everything but I'm excited.

So my question is does anyone have advice for what settings I should use for WoW and ESO? I understand WoW is pretty well optimized for metal but I don't know about ESO.

Thanks!

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
So I'm moving to a Mac last one I had was a PowerMac G4 450MHz that I had got brand new in 99. I really loved that machine I love my other Apple stuff iPhone, iPad etc. I also really miss the macOs. I eventually moved to PC for gaming.

Fast forward to now and the only games I've played in the last 4 years have been WoW and ESO.

So decided that since 80% of my time is writing .Net Core web applications and APIs which can be done nicely on a Mac these days it was time to switch back.

So I ordered up an iMac 27" with the Core i9 Vega 48 2Tb SSD and a 64Gb OWC RAM kit. Don't know when it will arrive given everything but I'm excited.

So my question is does anyone have advice for what settings I should use for WoW and ESO? I understand WoW is pretty well optimized for metal but I don't know about ESO.

Thanks!

WoW will run amazingly well on that machine, you'll have the option to run at 50% render scale with most things turned all of the way up, or 100% render scale (at 5K) with low/er settings at 60fps. It's incredibly well optimised for macOS and Metal.

ESO on the other hand... You'll have to see. Unfortunately it's not a native metal game, but using MoltenVK to translate Vulkan to Metal. It's not in the best shape from reports, although you should still have a good experience with your machine if you can find a good balance with the settings.

Last edited:

hieromonk

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2018
Hong Kong

Thanks!
2 of my friends ordered Mac Pro 2019 with XDR display solely for apple news and wow and project gorgon
I wish I have a parents like they are... loving caring to give their child what they want....
I highly recommend you try out project gorgon if you are into hardcore high fantasy mmo like Everquest

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
@AlyxSharkBite ESO runs OK-ish on my Macbook Pro, but is much faster (like 2.5x - 3x the fps at identical settings) under Boot Camp. It's possible I just have it configured incorrectly, but I was disappointed with the MacOS performance. It's strange considering how well some benchmarks like Heaven & Valley run.

EDIT: I just retried ESO with Catalina, and was pleasantly surprised. I was getting over 60 fps at 1536x960 resolution with the Ultra-High preset, with a very occasional drop to 45 fps. Maybe something was runnng in the background last time I played. It would be nice if I could run at native resolution (3072x1920) but the option doesn't even appear in the menu.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.