Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Is it common for this game to freeze up my computer while playing? It happened to me once when i was on a flight path from somewhere in the barrens to thunderbluff, and i dont know if it was a kernal panic, or just a game glitch. Anybody else have it freeze up sometimes?

Rydther

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
San Jose, CA
I got quite a few lock up/crashes when playing in Windows on a PC, but so far none in OS X although I havent played quite as much in OS X as on a PC running XP.
WoW is a bit buggy I believe

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
It freezes on my machine every now and then. Can be twice a day, followed by other days on which it runs perfectly. Unfortunately the whole system comes to a halt, so the only way to get things working again is by powering off the laptop...

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
There were a few server glitches when I was online last night - myself and a friend just waited it out and everything came back to life again.

The only actual client lockups I have had were on the Mac Pro when it had the faulty ATI X1900XT graphics card. If you continue to experience problems then you may want to look for similar faults.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Hmm.. Yea it was a full system hault. I had to do what the above poster said, pressing the power button till it powered off. This only happned once so far. Once the computer came back on i played again, for over an hour and all seemed good.

Actually, since i'm new to macs, i've noticed something about them when they lock up (Only happened once on mine, and once on a friends older CD mbp), but when the apple logo pops up and starts to load up os x, how come it takes so much longer to load up compared to when the system was shut down normally? Does it run a bunch of tests during the startup if it crashs?

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
I've never had it bug up (knock on wood). It could just be your system, try repairing privileges using Disk Utility.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Hmm.. Yea it was a full system hault. I had to do what the above poster said, pressing the power button till it powered off. This only happned once so far. Once the computer came back on i played again, for over an hour and all seemed good.

Actually, since i'm new to macs, i've noticed something about them when they lock up (Only happened once on mine, and once on a friends older CD mbp), but when the apple logo pops up and starts to load up os x, how come it takes so much longer to load up compared to when the system was shut down normally? Does it run a bunch of tests during the startup if it crashs?

Yes, it runs a series of tests and scans to ensure that everything is alright. Hard shut downs are extremely brutal on computers especially when their HD is being written/read from (ie. when your playing WOW). It's natural for it to take awhile to start up again after a hard shut down. It's a lot like when you install new patches to your system and you have to restart, it takes awhile because it finishes the patching and optimizes the system on startup.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
I've never had it bug up (knock on wood). It could just be your system, try repairing privileges using Disk Utility.

Ok, i'll give that a shot. I mean it only happened once so i'm sure theres nothing to really worry about, but thanks for the tip!

Yes, it runs a series of tests and scans to ensure that everything is alright. Hard shut downs are extremely brutal on computers especially when their HD is being written/read from (ie. when your playing WOW). It's natural for it to take awhile to start up again after a hard shut down. It's a lot like when you install new patches to your system and you have to restart, it takes awhile because it finishes the patching and optimizes the system on startup.

Ok cool thats what i thought, thanks for the info!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Also, if your disk is Journaled (now default), it spends some time rolling back the filesystem to a stable state using the journaling information.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
Wow has not crashed on my G5 or Macbook Pro once in the past year+. Since it is probably something system specific I would first trash your WTF folder and maybe rebuild mods from scratch and make sure they are all current with 2.0 BC spec.

Luigi87000

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
Also, if your disk is Journaled (now default), it spends some time rolling back the filesystem to a stable state using the journaling information.

i used the disk util but i was wondering how i roll back to a stable time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.