Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
i have just got my new imac and have tried copying wow folder over, but it just opens and has a black screen FOREVER. i am downloading the whole thing from a website and dnt want to download millions of updates Also the wow website is down and i have no idea why it won't work PLEASE HELP ME

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Is that considered stealing? I don't even know. Not copying it from your other comp, thats fine, but downloading it off like BT, having already bought a key from Blizzard. Interesting.

Edit: if that is what you are implying, I kind of don't understand.

But copying just your folder probably won't work, although it does work for SC and D2

anthony113

macrumors member
May 24, 2005
first off, its not possible to steal WoW. it requires an account to play on blizzard's servers. it is possible to download the client from blizzard directly without using the CD so long as you have a valid serial number. when i got my new mac pro i just reinstalled it from the disks and then downloaded all the updates again. its not that big a deal. you're only going to do it once and you know for sure that it will be stable.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
first off, its not possible to steal WoW. it requires an account to play on blizzard's servers. it is possible to download the client from blizzard directly without using the CD so long as you have a valid serial number. when i got my new mac pro i just reinstalled it from the disks and then downloaded all the updates again. its not that big a deal. you're only going to do it once and you know for sure that it will be stable.

If you're gunna get technical with me, it IS possible to steal WoW, you just won't be able to make an account without a serial number. He said he was downloading the whole thing from a website, sounds kinda sketchy to me. I don't really care though, just pitchin in my 2 cents.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
If you're gunna get technical with me, it IS possible to steal WoW, you just won't be able to make an account without a serial number. He said he was downloading the whole thing from a website, sounds kinda sketchy to me. I don't really care though, just pitchin in my 2 cents.

There's no stealing going on. Even if he was downloading it illegally, realistically he's going to still be paying the monthly fee. Since he already has an account, he must have already purchased it.

I don't have WoW so I can't give an answer, unfortunately.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
All you should have to do is copy the folder over. I'd suggest doing that but then delete the WTF and WDB folders. Then start up WoW.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach

There is no "serial number" for wow.

As for copying just boot one computer in target disk mode and copy it over. Delete your config file to in the WTF folder.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Solved

Ok none of it is stealing, Blizzard released a 10 day free trial a while back to allow you to play they also offered the whole thing as a download FOR FREE. If you buy WoW now you are a sucker they give it away now!!!!
also i solved my problem if anyone else has it:
1. copy your WoW folder to your new mac via network on on and off a hardrive or sumthing.
2. on your new mac mount the old mac's hardrive and search for all blizzard files on it and go to "other..." using spotlight search(if you have it)
3. copy all these files to the appropriate preference files on your new mac looking at where each one is saved
4. Voila!! Boot it up and enjoy the ultimate graphics, well compared to a macbook lol

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
sounds kinda sketchy to me.
Blizzard offers the full game on their website accessible to anyone for free. Their own official downloader uses BitTorrent (and you can easily take the torrent file and use better software like Azureus). You can't do anything with the game without an account, though, which is impossible to steal.

If you buy WoW now you are a sucker they give it away now!!!!
Actually that's not right. Even if you're already downloaded the game, you still have to pay $20 to create an account (and $40 more if you want Burning Crusade). When you buy the packaged version from a store it's the same, all you're paying for is the account.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i've successfully just copied the folder over numerous times, however when i got an Intel based mac i installed from scratch since i'm sure things are built a bit different for each. perhaps thats the problem?

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
when i got an Intel based mac i installed from scratch since i'm sure things are built a bit different for each. perhaps thats the problem?
Doesn't the installer just install a fixed group of files? The application itself is a UB so there should be no problems... I'm not aware of any additional support files that are installed. It could just be a problem with config files in the WoW folder, maybe trying to run with a graphical setting not appropriate for the new iMac?

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
Have you tried removing the configuration file in the WTF folder? (/World of Warcraft/WTF/config.wtf)

It's possible that a video setting is conflicting with the computer, like resolution.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Have you tried removing the configuration file in the WTF folder? (/World of Warcraft/WTF/config.wtf)

It's possible that a video setting is conflicting with the computer, like resolution.

QTF.

although personally I have had no problem with old config files even going pc to mac.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Doesn't the installer just install a fixed group of files? The application itself is a UB so there should be no problems... I'm not aware of any additional support files that are installed. It could just be a problem with config files in the WoW folder, maybe trying to run with a graphical setting not appropriate for the new iMac?

i don't know honestly. when you launch it, it does recognize that it is on either a PPC Mac or an Intel Mac, so there might be certain improvements for each. thats why i installed separately to be safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.