Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
The iPad's virtual keyboard has a neat feature: bring up the keyboard and look closely at the "F" and "J" keys. Yes, they have two raised ridges for touch typists!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Maybe in preparation for the feedback screens?

keyboard-in-spotlight-search.png

None Such

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
The iPad's virtual keyboard has a neat feature: bring up the keyboard and look closely at the "F" and "J" keys. Yes, they have two raised ridges for touch typists!

Haha i know! I saw that the other night and was like WTF?

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
Noticed this a while back but never really gave it much thought. I just assumed they were trying to make it look as much like a Mac keyboard as possible.

supercaliber

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Holy smokes, Apple pays way too much attention to detail to have this be simply because of aesthetics

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
I have noticed these but never gave a thought to why they are there. Probably to help you believe its a real keyboard. There must be a reason or Apple is addicted to attention to detail.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Too funny. It must be some attempt to make touch typists "look" at home even if they don't "feel" at home. :D

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I wouldn't say it's useless. When I touch type I align my hands with those ridgets visually.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Yeah, that might've been doing a little much. One guy must have been like, hey man......just put those in there. See if anyone notices. Haha, yeah we notice.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
You can't feel those???

Perhaps you could, though.

I noticed that when sounds are playing, especially with low-frequency components, you can actually feel the sensation of "ridges" on the iPad's screen as you swipe it.

(It wasn't immediately clear to me that the sound was doing this. I had to ponder a bit about why I was feeling ridges on the screen as I swiped it...)

Since the iPad has stereo speakers, it might be possible to use beat frequencies and pulses of audio to create the sensation of a raised area in a specific area of the screen.

Perhaps this was somebody's pet project that never quite made it to release, but the graphics did.

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
It's bad enough when useful topics are repeated here each time someone buys an ipad rather than searching the forum first. But now there are repeats of useless details that were discussed some weeks ago. Come on guys and gals, have a search around before choking up the forum. :(

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
It's bad enough when useful topics are repeated here each time someone buys an ipad rather than searching the forum first. But now there are repeats of useless details that were discussed some weeks ago. Come on guys and gals, have a search around before choking up the forum. :(

I know....the nerve of this guy. You should search ANYTIME you post on ANY reason you post. Matter of fact, just take away the forum format altogether and just make it a search engine on things that were already posted. And then we could start another discussion forum to talk about that great search engine on iPads over at Macrumors :rolleyes:

Better yet, lighten up bro, life's not that bad. ;)

CameraGeek

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Chicagoland
Re: Wow, I found a useless iPad feature

I know....the nerve of this guy. You should search ANYTIME you post on ANY reason you post. Matter of fact, just take away the forum format altogether and just make it a search engine on things that were already posted. And then we could start another discussion forum to talk about that great search engine on iPads over at Macrumors :rolleyes:

Better yet, lighten up bro, life's not that bad. ;)

Couldn't agree more! Like many of us I am on numerous online forums - I don't post much here. why?

see above! Love the info folks, but for goodness sakes would you all lighten up and drop the holier than thou crap? Wow!!!

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Perhaps you could, though.

I noticed that when sounds are playing, especially with low-frequency components, you can actually feel the sensation of "ridges" on the iPad's screen as you swipe it.

(It wasn't immediately clear to me that the sound was doing this. I had to ponder a bit about why I was feeling ridges on the screen as I swiped it...)

Since the iPad has stereo speakers, it might be possible to use beat frequencies and pulses of audio to create the sensation of a raised area in a specific area of the screen.

Perhaps this was somebody's pet project that never quite made it to release, but the graphics did.

Step away from the crack pipe! :rolleyes:

freelander

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008

Yes but speaking as someone who does touch type they are of absolutely no use!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.