Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I was considering a downgrade, in selling my 13 Pro (many reasons, but OLED eye sensitivity, not liking larger phones, and preferring touch ID over FaceID) and buying an SE 2022. I went to the Apple website to spec it out and was surprised to see November 1 as the estimated delivery date, no matter which storage capacity or color I choose. On top of that, it says that there is no availability at any of the Apple stores in my area.

That blew me away, I didn't realize the SE was selling that well!

Has supply on these been constrained ever since it was released earlier this year?

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
Interesting... You made me want to take a look at the stock in my area. All the 64GB models are sold out at my local Apple Store and 12 of the nearest stores, but they have all the other sizes and colors available.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Shipping also showing Nov 1 for me, but I can find any 256 in closest store and any 64 or 128 in somewhat close stores

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
There’s some in my metropolitan area but not much. Maybe they cut back to stock other models. I wouldn’t equate lack of stock to selling well especially the SE.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple tends to deprioritize SE at iPhone launch each year. They focus on stocking the expensive models.

Half the delay is due to lack of UPS cargo capacity. You can tell because the same iPhone SE has a October 19 delivery date for Apple Store China.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Interesting... You made me want to take a look at the stock in my area. All the 64GB models are sold out at my local Apple Store and 12 of the nearest stores, but they have all the other sizes and colors available.
Ah interesting! Out of curiosity, what is the website
Apple tends to deprioritize SE at iPhone launch each year. They focus on stocking the expensive models.

Half the delay is due to lack of UPS cargo capacity. You can tell because the same iPhone SE has a October 19 delivery date for Apple Store China.
Interesting- thanks! I guess it all makes sense as they are still prioritizing the 14 line that just came out a month ago.

I did poke around a bit more and did find a couple of 128 GB models at Apple stores in other parts of my metro area, so I will be able to drive 20 miles or so to go pick one up there if I decide that is what I want.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
Ah interesting! Out of curiosity, what is the website
Interesting- thanks! I guess it all makes sense as they are still prioritizing the 14 line that just came out a month ago.

I just checked on Apple's site and clicked "Buy." If you go through all the steps (size, carrier, etc.) you can eventually see the stock at Apple Stores near you.

WalterSobchak

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Plenty of 256gb here in all colors, but that’s about it.

Nothing at all in 64gb until nov1.

Only One 128 red available

I am currently sitting here with my 64gb midnight I picked up almost a month ago now.

I only snagged it on a whim since with my military veteran discount it puts the price at less then 390. Figured it’d be worth a shot to get back into a smaller device and see. Fully intended to return 3 weeks ago, and 2 weeks ago, and last week. Well. Guess it like it, she stays.

I’d bet corporate entities have purchased much of the 64gb stock, but who knows. I don’t suspect sales are that strong

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Plenty of 256gb here in all colors, but that’s about it.

Nothing at all in 64gb until nov1.

Only One 128 red available

I am currently sitting here with my 64gb midnight I picked up almost a month ago now.

I only snagged it on a whim since with my military veteran discount it puts the price at less then 390. Figured it’d be worth a shot to get back into a smaller device and see. Fully intended to return 3 weeks ago, and 2 weeks ago, and last week. Well. Guess it like it, she stays.

I’d bet corporate entities have purchased much of the 64gb stock, but who knows. I don’t suspect sales are that strong
How do you like your SE? You mentioned intending to return it- was it just because of the 64 GB storage, or overall you wanted a different model?

WalterSobchak

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
How do you like your SE? You mentioned intending to return it- was it just because of the 64 GB storage, or overall you wanted a different model?

Well, much to my surprise I’m loving it.

It was kind of a late night (really late night) impulsive purchase - an experiment of sorts to see if I did miss /could go back to a smaller size.

Turns out I really missed both Touch ID and one handed use.

This thing flies, now my XR feels thick and heavy. Plus I spend obscene amounts of time in basketball shorts or wearing a flipbelt for athletic pursuits. This SE is so light and small that I’ve found it compliments my lifestyle so much better than a larger phone and I have it on my person far more now when I do go out for a walk or jog or something.

What’s the point of a huge powerful phone that I never bring with me - because I value speed, comfort, and convenience.

And I suppose to actually answer your question instead of ramblings…. Yeah, the 64 gb thing seemed limiting but I instead decided to simply cut the fat. What apps do I need. What ones haven’t I used in time.

Why do I have so many podcasts downloaded? So many pictures for work specific purposes I don’t need etc…

Kind of cathartic to me actually

.. that and the size. I still didn’t know if I could go back, and it seemed too small at first. Now, it’s pretty peachy keen.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Something is going to happen soon so people are buying up the cheapest iPhone that will last a few years

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Interesting theory. Data source?

Already explained above.

You see this exact same delay of 5-10 days with a custom order M1 MacBook Air for example. Delivery dates to China and Hong Kong are 5-10 days faster than to North America. Under normal circumstances, it doesn't take UPS an extra 5-10 days to deliver cargo from the Zhengzhou or Shanghai factory.

Reactions: NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Pretty much ditto what @WalterSobchak said. Didn't like the feel of the X in my hand when it came out, sure as heck do not like the bigger models. Would be happy with a 13 Mini, but feel it's overpriced for my needs (FaceID would be nice but do not need OLED, camera not really important).

it doesn't take UPS an extra 5-10 days to deliver cargo from Zhengzhou or Shanghai.

Add in Shanghai and probably other locales are going under lockdown again, logistics/supply chain issues are coming... again.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
When I go through the "Buy" process on the Apple website, I see the local store stock is zero for the 64 GB of any color...but I can walk in and get 128 or 256 gig several places. Also, it shows October 25 as the earliest it would arrive by shipping. Though it does show November 1 as the latest.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Well, much to my surprise I’m loving it.

It was kind of a late night (really late night) impulsive purchase - an experiment of sorts to see if I did miss /could go back to a smaller size.

Turns out I really missed both Touch ID and one handed use.

This thing flies, now my XR feels thick and heavy. Plus I spend obscene amounts of time in basketball shorts or wearing a flipbelt for athletic pursuits. This SE is so light and small that I’ve found it compliments my lifestyle so much better than a larger phone and I have it on my person far more now when I do go out for a walk or jog or something.

What’s the point of a huge powerful phone that I never bring with me - because I value speed, comfort, and convenience.

And I suppose to actually answer your question instead of ramblings…. Yeah, the 64 gb thing seemed limiting but I instead decided to simply cut the fat. What apps do I need. What ones haven’t I used in time.

Why do I have so many podcasts downloaded? So many pictures for work specific purposes I don’t need etc…

Kind of cathartic to me actually

.. that and the size. I still didn’t know if I could go back, and it seemed too small at first. Now, it’s pretty peachy keen.
Thanks for sharing!
I'm sort of in your boat.... besides the OLED displays mildly hurting my eyes, I have really wanted to get back to a smaller phone that is simpler to carry around- especially in summer when I don't have big jacket pockets to throw the phone into. I am not a power user, I check email, texts, online banking, and some light social media browsing- and that's it. So I really think I'll go ahead and buy the SE 128GB that I found available at an Apple store about 20 miles away. If I find that the display is not any easier on my eyes for some odd reason, then fine I will return it, no harm done- but if as I suspect, it's better on my eyes- then I may just keep it and sell my 13 Pro.

Reactions: compwiz1202

WalterSobchak

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Thanks for sharing!
I'm sort of in your boat.... besides the OLED displays mildly hurting my eyes
I’m the same way. I had an 11pro when they first came out and couldn’t understand why I got nausea and headaches after use - especially when using in the dark. After finding out about PWM sensitivity and recording the 11pro with my old iPhone 7plus, I saw the truth - well to me anyway

I’ll go and say that the screen on this 2022 SE is better then my XR and quite an excellent display for me overall.

I did get a mini for my special lady friend, I’d probably be all over that if the screen worked for me.

But as it stands, this SE has wowed me with the experience and I’m for sure done with huge phones

Oh! The signal strength and quality is noticeably better than my XR

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Well I’m sure that was an added plus when the 14s were announced! 🤣
Personally it was a huge pain in the a$$ for me. I tried a 14 Pro at release, and
I’m the same way. I had an 11pro when they first came out and couldn’t understand why I got nausea and headaches after use - especially when using in the dark. After finding out about PWM sensitivity and recording the 11pro with my old iPhone 7plus, I saw the truth - well to me anyway

I’ll go and say that the screen on this 2022 SE is better then my XR and quite an excellent display for me overall.

I did get a mini for my special lady friend, I’d probably be all over that if the screen worked for me.

But as it stands, this SE has wowed me with the experience and I’m for sure done with huge phones

Oh! The signal strength and quality is noticeably better than my XR
Sorry to hear about your PWM sensitivity, but glad to hear the SE is working so well for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.