Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dyyne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
I am looking into buying my first Mac for college, but I'm concerned over its performance while playing games. I know that Macbook pros can handle WoW, but they remain slightly out of my price range, and I was wondering if a regular Macbook could handle it. What do you think?

Damien

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2004
Canterbury
I am looking into buying my first Mac for college, but I'm concerned over its performance while playing games. I know that Macbook pros can handle WoW, but they remain slightly out of my price range, and I was wondering if a regular Macbook could handle it. What do you think?

Hi,

I imagine it would handle it, I cannot see why not. However, the intergrated graphics will really be a crippling factor in your framerate. With settings at low/medium, I think you will be able to play it at a fast enough rate though.

Don't quote me on that however as I have not used WoW on a macbook.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Argh this gets me all the time.

I play WoW on my Macbook and it runs fine! Settings on normal get around 11-13fps (which isnt much I know) but its good enough. Only because it has integrated graphics doesnt mean its useless for games.

On the Mac Pro, fps is 60 constant, and alot better quality but thats expected.

Either way, Macbook will do it fine. enough for you to enjoy the game. If you want a bit more, save up and get a MBP

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
I have played WOW on an iBook and it worked and ran flawlessly. So I am sure it will run just fine on a MB. This iBook had no extras on it, just the stock RAM. If you run into any problems upgrading the RAM a little could help.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
With 2 gigs of ram on my 1.83 CD, I get around 30 high, down to 12 low, with it hovering in high teens. Fine with me, played like this for awhile.

Of course the settings weren't on max, one click or two above the lowest setting, but I didn't care.

Saying that though, once you get a machine that can play it at full graphics makes it tough to go back to the macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.