Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stealthsniper96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
no i meant more like you never have to pay. i saw something on digg but the link didnt work. :(

stealthsniper96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
o. well then i guess im out of options, huh. what else could i get to run on my MB? (specs = sig)

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
well i dont feel like paying for it. hows the single player?

Uhhhh, so you've never tried playing WoW for free?

WoW is a PURELY online game. Everything that can move is spawned on the WoW servers. You can see this effect when your internet cuts out for some reason, you can run around the entire area, but nothing moves, and you can't hurt anyone or cast spells etc.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006
So play Warcraft 3. I can't really think of any new computer games that I would consider to be worth getting besides Starcraft 2. Lately the quality of ports has been alarmingly low.

If you're just looking to test out your system graphically, you can download mac demos, but not too many of them are universal, and the ones that are can't hold a steady framerate even on my Mac Pro with a x1900, despite the high framerate.

Really you just need to install bootcamp, if you're primarily a console gamer like me and missed out on Half Life 2, I'd download that on bootcamp (in XP, it's better for gaming).

eruvisu

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007
let me start by saying that everything is a matter of opinion...and I don't know how much my opinion is worth since I am 1. a hardcore mac addict and 2. I love video games but can hardly hold the mantle of gamer as I don't engulf myself as like what I think a true gamer does, that said...

WoW is totally awesome, it has a bit of everything for everyone in my opinion, challenging yet playable to the novice, battle, actions, great graphics, interactive enviorment, constantly evolving, it has RPG aspect, decent support and again, in my opinion, highly addictive.

I tried that free trial for 30 days (look the internet for it, its out there, but it is before burning crusade expansion so you wont have some of the new charries) but it will give you a good feel for the game to play for a while. Get ready for a long download, took forever and like a previous post said, it is followed by several updates.

it runs great on my mac and I have not even done any of the adjustments that a lot of people rave about (I will just have not gotten around to it and FYI, you can find those on the internet as well, some even on this very forum)

For the record I am playing on a black macbook. Standard specs: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB/120GB/SuperDrive

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
o. well then i guess im out of options, huh. what else could i get to run on my MB? (specs = sig)

I would say, try Guild Wars, you will need to run boot camp and pay $35 but it is wayyy worth it, it is like WOW but you are a human, not a monster thingy... and there is no monthly fee, it is an awsome game, for ever "account" you buy for $35, you can make 4 characters, and you can give them each, 2 different "careers" (like, ranger, warrior, monk, ect.)

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
well i dont feel like paying for it. hows the single player?

There's no way to play WoW for free beyond the 10 day free trial and the free 30 day pass that's inside the game box you have to buy.

If you've never played it yet, I suggest you download the game and take it for a spin for 10 days. If you like it, buy the game for ~$20 which has a 30 day pass. It's only $15 a month after that if you pay month to month, $14 per month for the three month plan paid in full, and $13 per month for the six month plan paid in full. I used to buy the 60 day prepaid cards from Amazon for $25 (works out to $12.50 a month) before they raised the prices to $30.

It's really not that expensive if you think about it (assuming you play often enough to make it worth it) unless you're only gonna play like 3 times a month.

It's no more than a monthly cellphone or cable bill. It's about as much as a dinner and/or a movie. At most, it's $0.50 a day.

I played for about a year and have since taken a break for about 4 months now.... but I'm thinking of playing again. It's a fun game and you get to meet/talk to new and interesting people too.

Mudkips

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2007
England
There's a few private free play servers out there, they're not legal though and you'll have to install like a gazillion different little patches to get it working. I think it was Boomtown.net I had to download a previous version from then there was a ton of stuff from the free play server I had to install.

I wouldn't really recommend it though, the server I used to play on was pretty laggy, it was down half the time, there must have only been a few dozen other people on there, and then one day the server just disappeared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.