Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
At this point, that would be a terrible purchase. It is an endless money pit. There is a reason why the website is so vague and doesn't mention production etc. There is no way I would pre-order that vehicle.
Aside from the terrible deal, I've yet to hear anyone fully address some practical issues.

Advocates for flying cars seem to automatically assume that to drive the car you'd need a pilot's license. That point has either been badly miscommunicated to the public or conveniently overlooked. Yet these advocates seem surprised when questioned about it.

If the public is correct and the issue of a pilot's license is not a requirement then I have other questions…

We already have drunk/drugged drivers. What happens when these people get into a car that flies? Who is doing a traffic stop on a flying car with a drunk driver?

Road rage in the air? Accidents in the air? People drive like idiots now and we want to add a third dimension to this?

Oh maybe insurance will price people out?! I doubt it, we have uninsured drivers now. Who's paying when there is a fender bender and both cars fall out of the sky?

AFAIK no one is asking questions.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
We already have drunk/drugged drivers. What happens when these people get into a car that flies? Who is doing a traffic stop on a flying car with a drunk driver?

I'd assume these guys.

10_FifthElement.png

But when it comes down to it. Flying cars would have to be completely automated. There's no way the US or any air traffic control system could handle millions of vehicles flying around every which way. You'd need a system where all vehicles communicate with each other and ground management systems. With no option from the driver to override. Aside from inputting a new destination into the autopilot.

Last edited:

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I wished I had $300,000 to pre-order Alef Flying Car.

Amazing that I find myself alive at the cusp of Pat Cadigan's "GridLid", only to find that a group of guys are already attempting to rectify what Glenn Curtiss, or the Waterman Whatsit, could not do.

As Tom Meisfjord wrote in 2020:

"In the end, it wasn't crackpot futurism or a lack of available technology that killed the flying car. It was just that nobody bought them. When a market failed to develop, the companies designing the things went under."

Hopefully not an inherently inevitable outcome, but I'm not holding my breath.

Alas, I don't see being able to ever avail myself of such a market item.

I was kinda hoping for a Niven transport booth (or Hamilton wormhole), first ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
But when it comes down to it. Flying cars would have to be completely automated. There's no way the US or any air traffic control system could handle millions of vehicles flying around every which way. You'd need a system where all vehicles communicate with each other and ground management systems. With no option from the driver to override. Aside from inputting a new destination into the autopilot.
Exactly. And it's this concept that has never been properly communicated to the American public. You'd be telling people that they can have the flying car - but they can't drive/fly it themselves. After all the decades of dreaming they'd be able to get a flying car and just go anywhere they want/when they want.

That idea does NOT sell flying cars.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Another factor, whether fan- or jet-powered, that no one addresses is Noise. You know how loud a single helicopter is, flying overhead; now multiply that by a city full of commuters, and...

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I'd assume these guys.

View attachment 2227918

Like the ones in the movie, "Blade Runner"?

In reality flying cars would be a great idea, specially in traffic congested cities. Transport, commercial, construction, and other heavy vehicles could used the existing roads, and new roads would not be needed.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Another factor, whether fan- or jet-powered, that no one addresses is Noise. You know how loud a single helicopter is, flying overhead; now multiply that by a city full of commuters, and...
A valid point indeed. Now, I’m old enough to recall Blue Thunder having a "switch" at the controls to initiate whisper mode. Come to think of it Airwolf might also have had this option fitted?

So in summary, some of those switches from the 80s should at least solve that particular problem.

Edit: a noise canceling feature of sorts even?

Last edited:

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
A valid point indeed. Now, I’m old enough to recall Blue Thunder having a "switch" at the controls to initiate whisper mode. Come to think of it Airwolf might also have had this option fitted?

So in summary, some of those switches from the 80s should at least solve that particular problem.

Edit: a noise canceling feature of sorts even?
There was a top-secret Air Force project that did just that, a dual-rotor helicopter wherein the rear rotor rotated the opposite direction, pushing air up instead of down. The 'copter spun around so violently the pilot got dizzy, threw up and crashed. The project was abandoned soon after. [/bullsh*tmode]
:p

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There was a top-secret Air Force project that did just that, a dual-rotor helicopter wherein the rear rotor rotated the opposite direction, pushing air up instead of down. The 'copter spun around so violently the pilot got dizzy, threw up and crashed. The project was abandoned soon after. [/bullsh*tmode]
The Tu-95 Bear (Russian recon aircraft) has four counter-rotating props. The engine works and is proven. But the aircraft is LOUD!

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

The Avrocar was another interesting experiment, from the 1960s:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It’s bad enough with the noise from drones and planes. Plus flying is never going to be as fuel efficient as driving.
So do me it’s a hard no. We’ve messed the planet up enough as it is.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Aside from the terrible deal, I've yet to hear anyone fully address some practical issues.

Advocates for flying cars seem to automatically assume that to drive the car you'd need a pilot's license. That point has either been badly miscommunicated to the public or conveniently overlooked. Yet these advocates seem surprised when questioned about it.

If the public is correct and the issue of a pilot's license is not a requirement then I have other questions…

Road rage in the air? Accidents in the air? People drive like idiots now and we want to add a third dimension to this?

Oh maybe insurance will price people out?! I doubt it, we have uninsured drivers now. Who's paying when there is a fender bender and both cars fall out of the sky?

AFAIK no one is asking questions.
Exactly not only would they hurt the other air drivers, cars could fall on or in front of ground drivers. Imagine driving down the highway and a car falls out of the sky.

Reactions: eyoungren

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Why limiting ourselves to the idea that a flying car of the far future would have an internal combustion engine, or even electrical motors with propellers? Why not "imagining" that such a car would be much like one of the small vehicles shown in futuristic movies such as Star Trek, Blade Runner, and so forth? Well, a helicopter-looking vehicle like the one piloted by Tom Cruise in the movie, "Oblivion" would be perfect for me maybe 400 years from now :)

Last edited:
Reactions: compwiz1202

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
And before we know it we'll go from traffic, to air jams.

View attachment 2228118
Yes puts this quote from the website into context as wishful thinking.

Designed to drive on the street, take off vertically when needed and fly overhead above traffic, we’re building the solution to the issues of modern congestion.
Ummm no. I love retrofutrism as much as the next nerd but a lot of what was thought up was not practical but replaced by items that were better suited to the tasks they were meant for, ie. specialized rather than humanoid robots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.