Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
I need USB sync of contacts, calendar, reminders and notes. Not cloud sync, for logistical reasons 3rd world country user.

Does Lumia + Nokia Suite + Outlook/windows native apps allow for this nowadays?

Apple is deliberately crippling local sync.

tkadrum

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
I need USB sync of contacts, calendar, reminders and notes. Not cloud sync, for logistical reasons 3rd world country user.

Does Lumia + Nokia Suite + Outlook/windows native apps allow for this nowadays?
Not exactly sure what you are requesting here.
But with WP8, and your MS log on . You will be able to sync them to outlook calendar, and some of my favorite Calendar/Agenda apps: 627.AM, Calendar Calleague(my favorite), and Simple Calendar. These will sync with the native calendar app of WP8.
There is no Nokia Suite. But great HERE Drive+ (off line(no data). HERE Maps, and Nokia media apps(mostly for camera apps, and MixRadio)

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Not exactly sure what you are requesting here.
But with WP8, and your MS log on . You will be able to sync them to outlook calendar, and some of my favorite Calendar/Agenda apps: 627.AM, Calendar Calleague(my favorite), and Simple Calendar. These will sync with the native calendar app of WP8.
There is no Nokia Suite. But great HERE Drive+ (off line(no data). HERE Maps, and Nokia media apps(mostly for camera apps, and MixRadio)

Let's start at the beginning. Way back, when the Shara was just a sandpit in old Noah's back yard, I could tie a USB cable to my old Nokia phone and sync my contacts, calendars, notes and tasks/reminders to my Nokia PC Suite. Nokia then became fancy and included sync with Outlook on Windows. PC Suite became OVI suite and that became Nokia Suite.

With the introduction of Lumia, Nokia stopped supporting Nokia Suite and users like myself had no way of sync'ing said data fields directly between devices, using USB or Bluetooth. We had to find alternatives.

Apple did Excel as it was the only USB-syncable solution right out of the box, until fairly recently. Now they also started forcing us through the cloud, as if everybody on the globe has free wireless broadband dripping from mango trees. No, they think, as a Wall Street journalist had stated, that "93% of the global population has broadband access." So true, if your globe is small enough to fit into NY's financial district. (Yet I have friends in NY state who have friggen bears in their back yards, less civilized than Africa!)

OK, so there is a whole whopping world with the balance of 7 billion people living outside of NY and we don't have that broadband the clever journo was writing about. Message in a bottle is a good idea.

So the youngsters dragging smartphones from their pizza-fed minds, people who live in concrete jungles and function in artificial everything from water to air, and who never had milked a cow or collected wood, never been challenged by a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, with empty space for hundreds of miles around, wants me to sync my phone with my laptop…..through a server cosily parked in a Cupertino vault. The phone and the laptop are within inches of each other but we have to go through a server sixteen thousand kilometers from us. Yes, ten thousand miles detour for my data because some friggen systems architect smokes his tea instead of drinking it. Green tea, that is.

Now that both Apple and MS (multiple scle….??) have gone through the cloud, out of sight and out of my laptop's mind, I still need to get the stuff to talk to each other. Two thirds of the global population are not even on the internet and the majority who has access, cannot afford the huge data bills we get outside of the USA. People living in steaming jungles or who get fried by a fiercely hot sun, especially in the southern hemisphere, now need to cope with useless, defunct yet insanely expensive phones and computers that cannot shout at each other within sight. It has to go via a nonexistent cloud around the globe. Anyone ever seen a friggen cloud over the Sahara? That place is dry, let me tell you, even your dust on your shoes is muddy by comparison. No physical cloud and no virtual one, either.

So, the rather stooooopid systems architects dream up La La Land systems that work on paper and somewhere around Central Park. Not sure it would even make Queens, yet they think we are all wonderfully connected.

They need a reality check.

So, here we are, trying to drive economies that, in turn, drive theirs. In their illiterate ignorance, they have alienated their own target market by cutting off communications lines. That is why we all from this side show them a middle finger, perhaps to say they are our Number One…….??

We need a laptop.
And a smartphone.
And a cable.
Connect it so that the smartphone can give internet access to the laptop.
Because the laptop needs the internet.
It needs internet to send files ten thousand miles
And receive it back after another ten thousand miles
So that the phone can have what the computer's been having all along.
Critical data required for health care, education, infrastructure development, trading, etc.

That is what we need - stuff that can work without having to take a detour around the globe, using nonexistent routes, that is!

Sit back, close your eyes, become a creative thinker and imagine the five or six billion people living under most extreme conditions but who can get ahead my working smarter. But not when they are sabotaged by systems that cannot communicate where no communications exist.

Oh, tell that Wall Street journo: we have cellular signal, yes, a sloppy 2G not even good enough for making calls, just to text! Where does he/she see broadband in that? It isn't even good enough for WAP, believe me!

----------

If your doing it from a mac windows phone connect app does as you request...

My research shows that it syncs some of the fields, not all of it. Mac does not allow for local sync of Notes. This is a real big issue as we have very large notes data files and to sync that over 2G using WAP………it takes forever and can bankrupt Bill Gates if he is sent the phone bills.

----------

But with WP8, and your MS log on

That logging on bit is where it halts all progress……..how do you log on when you only have a weak 2G signal? :rolleyes:

A few billion people still live like this, why don't the few hundred million privileged no "get" it? :eek:

dgr874

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
Texas
Try logging on to windows with a local account and use iTunes to sync everything locally by turning off the icloud settings on the iPhone.

I don't understand your ranting on this topic. Nobody here controls how Apple and the other companies manage the cloud and your data.

No reason to insult everyone everywhere because things wont do them exactly as you want them to do.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I don't understand your ranting on this topic. Nobody here controls how Apple and the other companies manage the cloud and your data.

No reason to insult everyone everywhere because things wont do them exactly as you want them to do.

Exactly. Yes, there are many billions of people who don't have access to high speed mobile networks. Guess how many of those people are spending the equivalent to hundreds of dollars/euros/pounds/yen/etc on smartphone and mobile service? ;)

A few billion people still live like this, why don't the few hundred million privileged no "get" it? :eek:

Because as I just mentioned, a great majority of people in third world countries have more important things to spend their money on than say, a $500-1000 smartphone. The reason Google/Apple/Microsoft are functioning this way is because the vast majority of people who can afford and are actually purchasing their phones don't live in the third world. :rolleyes:

Sucks if you're exception--but expecting these corporations to change their business models to accommodate the extreme minority is ludicrous. Guess what? Over time there are going to be fewer and fewer of people in your situation. You have crappy mobile networks where you live? Try railing on the mobile providers. What you're doing is the equivalent of complaining about the major automobile manufactures requiring that their vehicles use petrol when there's only one gas station where you live and it's often out of gas.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My research shows that it syncs some of the fields, not all of it. Mac does not allow for local sync of Notes. This is a real big issue as we have very large notes data files and to sync that over 2G using WAP………it takes forever and can bankrupt Bill Gates if he is sent the phone bills.

You could save notes locally on the device, and then using windows phone connect simply use the file browser to drag the saved note to your mac, make the changes and then save it back.

Yes it's not automatic syncing - but it's better than nothing I suppose.

I just use One Note in wifi and yes we only have a slow internet service in rural ireland - and mobile data wise with 3G and no LTE or chance of seeing LTE... So can empathise.

Whatever you choose to do will take some workaround with your mac. As you say with Windows 8.1 on a pc however syncing is full and much easier - but you'd expect that with windows to windows.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Windows presently only has it on certain Asha models and not at all for Lumia. I found Companionlink that works well on Windows for WP8 and Android devices. For Mac, Sync-Mate comes recommended.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Exactly. Yes, there are many billions of people who don't have access to high speed mobile networks. Guess how many of those people are spending the equivalent to hundreds of dollars/euros/pounds/yen/etc on smartphone and mobile service? ;)

Because as I just mentioned, a great majority of people in third world countries have more important things to spend their money on than say, a $500-1000 smartphone. The reason Google/Apple/Microsoft are functioning this way is because the vast majority of people who can afford and are actually purchasing their phones don't live in the third world. :rolleyes:

Sucks if you're exception--but expecting these corporations to change their business models to accommodate the extreme minority is ludicrous. Guess what? Over time there are going to be fewer and fewer of people in your situation. You have crappy mobile networks where you live? Try railing on the mobile providers. What you're doing is the equivalent of complaining about the major automobile manufactures requiring that their vehicles use petrol when there's only one gas station where you live and it's often out of gas.

Your reasoning is just very, very wrong. Connectivity is essential for survival and to market produce, so a few hundred million very poor people even skip meals and do not buy even essential clothing, just to have a cell phone and contact to markets elsewhere. They go hungry as they often need as many as three different phones to ensure they always get a signal, at least, from each of a few carriers. Said signal being 2G mostly.

People on developed countries have no ideaof what it takes for millions to survive in such conditions. This is where local sync really becomes a must, mot a want.

----------

This explains it better, I hope. If you read it attentively and with a receptive mind, you may very well start understanding what this is all about:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1717279/

dgr874

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
Texas
Your reasoning is just very, very wrong. Connectivity is essential for survival and to market produce, so a few hundred million very poor people even skip meals and do not buy even essential clothing, just to have a cell phone and contact to markets elsewhere. They go hungry as they often need as many as three different phones to ensure they always get a signal, at least, from each of a few carriers. Said signal being 2G mostly.

People on developed countries have no ideaof what it takes for millions to survive in such conditions. This is where local sync really becomes a must, mot a want.

----------

This explains it better, I hope. If you read it attentively and with a receptive mind, you may very well start understanding what this is all about:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1717279/

If people are skipping food in order to have three cell phones, maybe they should reevaluate their priorities...

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
If people are skipping food in order to have three cell phones, maybe they should reevaluate their priorities...

It just shows how little understanding some have of the dire battle for survival, not comfort, that some face. Most First Worlders will roll over and die when faced with what about 5 billion people upon this globe have to endure just to survive, in the true sense. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.