Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Although this article is specifically about the Ava bracelet, the research would appear to potentially be of interest to Apple Watch owners. Especially if temperature sensing is added at some point. (It does look as if wrist skin temperature is an important part of the detection/analysis.)

Wrist-worn trackers can detect Covid before symptoms, study finds​

Sensor tech can alert wearer to Covid early, helping to prevent onward transmission
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-can-detect-covid-before-symptoms-study-finds

Link to paper published in BMJ Open:
https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/12/6/e058274

Reactions: nekonoshucchou

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
How can it be sure it is Covid and not the flu or a cold or something?
Because, in the study, they did Covid testing alongside use of the bracelet.

Obviously, if it were some other disease, you'd either not know what it was or have to test for other diseases.

I think the point of it would be to trigger a concern and, therefore, imply that Covid testing might be sensible. And, regardless the actual infectious agent, taking greater care to avoid onward transmission is something that could be started the moment we become aware.

In the fullness of time, we might see particular patterns of the measured factors which make distinguishing one disease from another possible - up to a point. But I doubt even the strongest advocates claim this will be an entirely foolproof technique providing precision diagnosis.

Reactions: johnb300m

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I was 2-3 Weeks after 3rd dose of Moderna, my AW7 showed that my stats are worse and worse plus way I had SpO2 way lower than expected (88-92) and extreme fatigue (thought that’s post-vaccination symptoms).
Also had sometimes way higher stationary pulse.

So I went for nose test and had positive out of sudden (before had 7 tests, negatives, as I had connections with positives). So I can confirm it’s working for me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.