Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2005
United States
Is there any program that is capable of doing this? I know that there is CyberScrub for Windows that does this but do not know one for OS X.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I believe you can get it done using Disk Utils (part of OSX)

He probably deleted some files that he wants to be gone forever :D

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
The secure empty trash will overwrite the file several times so it is not recoverable. If you use the disk utility to fully format the drive, there are several options for securly wiping the drive.

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2005
United States
ortuno2k said:
You can write zeros to the hard drive as many as 35 times when you format it using the Disk Utility included with the OS.
But I only wanted to write it on unused space so I will not lose any data.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Xephian said:
But I only wanted to write it on unused space so I will not lose any data.
As someone already mentioned above, when you empty your trash can use Secure Empty Trash under the Finder's Finder menu.

Sushi

cjc343

macrumors 6502
You can use Disk Utility. I don't remember when they added the function, but in 10.4, if you open disk utility, and select the PARTITION of the disk that you want to Zero-out free space on (The partition is the child option that has the same name as the disk on your desktop: most likely "Macintosh HD"). Click on the Erase tab, and near the lower left, there will be a button to "Erase Free Space..." which, when you click it, gives you the option to 0-out all data, run a 7-pass erase, or run a 35-pass erase.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
By the way if you turn on Filevault (there is this icon of a house that looks like a safe) and encrypted page file you can just do away with this altogether.

Don't do it on a PB though, the performance penalty is quite significant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.