Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProlificWriter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2022
I’m a writer and write 3k-7k words a day. At the moment, most of it is done on an ergonomic keyboard at my iMac, with an 11“ iPad pro using the iMacs Magic Keyboard (out and about in the library etc; I use the mac’s Magic Keyboard as a portable bluetooth keyboard) and sometimes with my old 2014 MacBook Air.

I’d like to start using the iPad for more of my writing, specifically first thing in the morning in bed, or sitting back in a recliner etc. Do any of you use the iPad Magic Keyboard case for producing several thousand words per day? If so, is it comfortable? And does it work quite well on the lap? At a desk, I can just use my iMac keyboard etc, so I’m looking for something that will specifically be useful in other situations — couch, recliner, bed etc.

I know that in general it’s highly regarded. I just wonder whether most of those users are ‘casual’ typists rather than more heavy users of the keyboard.

Any other prolific writers out there who have something good or bad to say about the iPad Magic Keyboard?

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
1. The typing experience on a desk is great. Not my favourite, but it's far better than many other laptops I've used, as well as peripheral keyboards for desktops. On a desk, with a proper chair, I can - and do - type all day long on the Magic Keyboard.

2. It's not great on the lap. It's not terrible, but the weight of the ipad makes it less than stable. I rarely write for long in this position for that very reason. Good in a pinch, but I'd need something underneath in order to stabalize it, if I were to write for long sessions.

Note: My experience is with the 12.9", not the 11".

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
@tweaknmod similar the 11” iPP with the MKB - absolutely great on a table, on the lap I can manage during a presentation or talk, but on a sofa, recliner etc. I strongly prefer my Macbook… it’s simply “sturdier” (?). Well, this isn’t quite the right word - it has completely different physical characteristics than e.g. a MB Air… which is a lap…top 🤓

EDIT: removing the MKB and just dictating IS a valid option… at least for writing scientific papers 😎

Reactions: tweaknmod

ProlificWriter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2022
@tweaknmod similar the 11” iPP with the MKB - absolutely great on a table, on the lap I can manage during a presentation or talk, but on a sofa, recliner etc. I strongly prefer my Macbook… it’s simply “sturdier” (?). Well, this isn’t quite the right word - it has completely different physical characteristics than e.g. a MB Air… which is a lap…top 🤓

EDIT: removing the MKB and just dictating IS a valid option… at least for writing scientific papers 😎
Yes the dictation is pretty good these days! Not great to use in a library though haha.

• Haha
Reactions: tweaknmod

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I'm definitely one of the casual users, but I will say that iPad + MKB is only good on the lap with a lap desk. I have a couple different ones I use depending on where I'm at, and with the lap desk it's a good experience.

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Honestly, I have been trying to make this combination work for two years now and finally gave up and just bought an M2 MacBook Air. The problem seems to be palm rejection with the trackpad -every once in a while I’ll be typing away and suddenly I will have text show up halfway into the previous paragraph. Really kills the flow when you’re writing. With respect to using it on your lap, that’s pretty much a nogo, because of the combination of the top-heavy nature of the iPad, and the relatively narrow footprint of the keyboard.

My iPad pro works great in sidecar or universal mode and fits my workflow much better with the macbook than as a standalone device.

ProlificWriter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2022
Thanks. Having the cursor jump to another spot would be infuriating.

I guess I’ll stick with my old MacBook Air (2014) for portable writing. It needs a battery replacement though, and I kinda hate how dim the screen is. I do like the keyboard though, and it actually works very well still for my purposes, which is simply running the program Ulysses and sometimes a browser window. Might look into a new Macbook Air in the future!

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I use my 10.5 inch iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard mainly as my primary device. The Smart Keyboard is usable on my lap in my recliner as I am now, however it is easier to disconnect it because it isnt as stabile as it would be on a table, have used it in bed and it seems ok, just worried about the whole thing falling off the bed if either my dog or myself moves too much. On a table it is perfect and so much lighter to carry around than an actual laptop.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I like my Magic Keyboard, and write a lot with it.

If I have a complaint, it’s that it’s noisy, so depending on the environment you’re working in, it may or may not be suitable.

Reactions: Isamilis

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I like my Magic Keyboard, and write a lot with it.

If I have a complaint, it’s that it’s noisy, so depending on the environment you’re working in, it may or may not be suitable.
Mine is 11”, and have good experience as well. I think 11” is just like having mini laptop. It’s also lighter than MBA. On the other hand, 12.9” seems more redundant / similar with 13” MacBook / laptop.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Just got a iPad Pro 3rd generation with the magic keyboard, the one where it looks like the ipad is hovering in the air, and so far for its first week of daily use, i have to say I love the magic keyboard, has great key feel and the back lit keys are awesome. I have the white one and my only question is hopefully it stays white so it continues to look so beautiful and unusual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.