Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monkaaay

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
Richmond, VA
To add to what has already been said, having an understanding of Objective-C will greatly increase your chances of success in learning how to program for the iPhone, or any Mac platform for that matter. Essentially you'll be attempting to learn both Objective-C and the Cocoa framework at once and that can be tough for someone new to programming. Pick up some good books and enjoy the ride. Keep in mind that Objective-C 2.0 has recently come out and that most books you'll find will target the version before 2.0.

haye321

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
Behind You!!!
Start out easy. Can you learn Spanish in a week. Not really. A couple dozen words, yes. But you're no Spanish-speaker. There's no quick and easy overnight shortcuts. You have to learn it, and learn it well.

Here's the book I'm reading now, and I feel smarter already....
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-O...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205155717&sr=8-1

Does that book really work for you? I saw it online but I really had no idea what to look for. And as for what people have been saying about reading the apple documentation and videos, they were totally useless. I found them to be rediculously confusing and I have a background in HTML and a bit of C/Java. I have been trying to find a book that speaks human. :D

Edit: Just check barnes and noble, the 2.0 version comes out this august and I imagine it will include some iPhone SDK updates (I hope). Also did you find that it was very easy to take the info you learned and immediately apply it to iPhone programming. I ask this because there are also specific iPhone programming books which may be better suited for learning to program on the iPhone.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Does that book really work for you? I saw it online but I really had no idea what to look for. And as for what people have been saying about reading the apple documentation and videos, they were totally useless. I found them to be rediculously confusing and I have a background in HTML and a bit of C/Java. I have been trying to find a book that speaks human. :D

Edit: Just check barnes and noble, the 2.0 version comes out this august and I imagine it will include some iPhone SDK updates (I hope). Also did you find that it was very easy to take the info you learned and immediately apply it to iPhone programming. I ask this because there are also specific iPhone programming books which may be better suited for learning to program on the iPhone.

I doubt there will be any iPhone stuff, as it is not an iPhone book. The book teaches Objective-C, not Cocoa.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hey Kainjow. I basically had the same question as him. After reading your response, why do you think learning Cocoa for Mac will be easier? I mean, wouldn't that be twice the work since one would first have to learn Cocoa for the Mac then go back and learn Cocoa for the iPhone? And second, I know where all the iPhone software documentation is (on the Apple site) but where is the Cocoa for Mac documentation. Thanks so much.

Everything you learn about Cocoa for the Macintosh applies directly to Cocoa for iPhone. For the next few months at least, Cocoa for Macintosh has the advantage that thousands of Macintosh developers can answer questions without being in breach of an NDA.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
So does anyone have a good iPhone programming book, one that teaches Cocoa and Objective-C?

Big Hat Guy's (aka Aaron Hillegass) book is the book to get if you're just starting out. Third edition that's updated for Xcode 3 and Leopard just came out a month or so ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programming-Mac-OS-3rd/dp/0321503619/

Oh, and for everyone new here - learning syntax is easy and carries pretty well from language to language. That's not the part you should be worried about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.