Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celluloidlout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
Athens, Ga
Hey all! I'm new to the forums and I'm in the process of making the "switch." (Gotta a G5 on the way which I plan to do some serious video editing with.) Here's my question. For years I have maintained a website by typing my HTML code in window's note pad and uploading by FTP Explorer. What programs would be comperable to what I have been using and where can I find them? Please forgive my ignorace, it's been close to 5 years since I've used a Mac. Thanks for the help,

Christopher

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Re: Writing HTML

Originally posted by celluloidlout
Hey all! I'm new to the forums and I'm in the process of making the "switch." (Gotta a G5 on the way which I plan to do some serious video editing with.) Here's my question. For years I have maintained a website by typing my HTML code in window's note pad and uploading by FTP Explorer. What programs would be comperable to what I have been using and where can I find them? Please forgive my ignorace, it's been close to 5 years since I've used a Mac. Thanks for the help,

Christopher

A good start with HTML is a copy of BBEdit. Unfortunately, BBEdit costs a bit of money. It turns out that since it costs a bit of money, nobody buys it and just pirates it. The piracy has gotten so bad that the BBEdit people included in the program a dialog box that says "This copy of BBEdit appears unlicensed and will now quit" if you use certain functions. It does this on legal and illegal copies. But I'm getting sidetracked...

You can use TextWrangler, which is still good and I believe costs a lot less. Or use taco HTML Edit. My roommate has a thing for taco html edit.

As for FTP, you can either use the built in Panther "Connect to Server" gizmo, or you can be a man and get some software. However, this can be tough, because a quick search for "FTP" on Versiontracker comes up with 3 pages of stuff. I suggest "Transmit", or "Fetch", the oldest FTP client I can remember.

You can get Transmit here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16683

or Fetch Here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/1126

BBEdit (demo) here: http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/demo.shtml

Textwranger: http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/demo.shtml

Glad to help...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles

celluloidlout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
Athens, Ga
Hey guys, thanks so much for all the help. This should be enough to go on but I'll elaberate a bit further on what I'm looking for. I want to continue using a text editor for the time being. I guess I'm a bit stubborn and haven't the slightest knowledge of doing it any other way. Also, free is best. I'm a poor, struggling, ramen eatin' college student.

:)

PS-When I get my mac in a few days, I'm sure I'll be filled with tons of newb questions. I hope y'all don't mind...'course...I suppose y'all are used to that.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm a webmaster, and although I have access to DreamWeaver (a top of the line HTML editor), I'm just as happy using a plain old text editor much of the time.

The Mac OS X equivalent of Notepad is TextEdit, a basic editor in the Mac's graphical environment.

When you have questions, ask away! We'll stock up on pizza and Jolt Cola to be ready for the long hours it might take to answer all of your questions. You'll find the Mac community to be very friendly and helpful. You already passed the first true test: Posing a question in the correct forum, with an informative title. That makes you a winner right from the start!

celluloidlout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
Athens, Ga
Hehee...thanks for the wonderful welcome and info! Glad I have a place to turn to as a newb. I run a forum myself, so I'm often trying to point people in the right direction with their posts. Never seems to work.

:D

I'm sure you'll hear quite a bit from me in the coming weeks as I try to quit this nasty windows habit I have. Lol, I'm a bit paranoid...I gave up smoking 4 months ago and for some reason I think this transition will be harder for me. Things such as the non-existant right-click mouse and such. I'm sure i'll get used to the little things after a few weeks though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.