Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Guys, search for the Writing Pad application. Instead of typing, you just drag a finger over each letter in the word, release, and it guesses. It's nuts.

Sorry if this was a pointless thread, it's just utterly baffling how this works to me.

Disclaimer: I am not the developer.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Got this yesterday. You're right. When it works, it's amazing.

Sometimes it needs regular typing though, and it isn't much good at that (spelling suggestions missing etc.)

I still don't know that it's that much faster, either.

Ollie64

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
I got his a few days ago and I think it's almost easier to write this way! It's just a shame that you can't use the keyboard in all the apps instead of just the boring Writing Pad one.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Got this yesterday. You're right. When it works, it's amazing.

Sometimes it needs regular typing though, and it isn't much good at that (spelling suggestions missing etc.)

I still don't know that it's that much faster, either.

I have no idea if it's faster at all, haha. I just thought it was pretty cool :cool:

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
There's an update now. The app was very unstable at first, seems to be better now.

I'm not sure how fast it is compared to typing with one finger. You still have to move your finger over each button as if typing, but if you are off a little I think it gives a pretty good guess based off the whole pass. While the normal tapping of letters, going real fast it's easy to hit the wrong letter.

Longer words can be a little overkill. it can really test your knowledge of the keyboard and spelling as you can't hesitate much.

I can say one thing, it's at least more fun and soothing to use than normal tapping. Just feels more natural. And while you wish it was in all apps, atleast the guy included the e-mail button.

One thing to test, I heard from reviews, that adding a new word to the suggestions only worked for that session, reloading the app, all that it learned was gone, hopefully that's fixed in this update.

EDIT: Just now I tried to add a word to the program and it crashed to the home screen. But trying again, I added a word from my website, which even had double letters, and I quit and reopened it, and it still had it in it's database, and worked, even with doing the double letter once.

It also knows names, so it auto caps the first letter. When you finish a word, you got the suggestions just incase it was off, and if totally wrong, the backspace clears the whole word for you with one tap.

Soapcx

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Nice I use ModBook and where to download it for Mac?

Hi here! I am using a ModBook and I want to test it hardly! Please give me the link where to get the application. 10x a lot

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
This application is only available through the Apple AppStore, which only distributes software for iPods and iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.