Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWFerne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Has anyone had any luck actually being able to write to a Windows Drive while in MacOS? Currently I'm only able to pull files off the Windows drive :( .

Cheers!

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
JWFerne said:
Has anyone had any luck actually being able to write to a Windows Drive while in MacOS? Currently I'm only able to pull files off the Windows drive :( .

Cheers!

If your windows drive is formatted NTFS you cannot WRITE to it from OSX if it's formatted Fat32 you can. I hope that helps clear things up for you.

JWFerne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
That makes sense.... so if I reformat in Fat32, what issues will I have putting windows XP on the drive? Any limitations?

Sorry for the basic questions... pretty new to the Mac side of the fence. The grass is greener here btw!

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
JWFerne said:
That makes sense.... so if I reformat in Fat32, what issues will I have putting windows XP on the drive? Any limitations?

Sorry for the basic questions... pretty new to the Mac side of the fence. The grass is greener here btw!

Once you reformat the windows partition to FAT32, you should be able to read and write to the windows partition from OS X with no problems.

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
Glen Quagmire said:
But FAT32 is restricted in terms of the maximum partition size (NTFS is not, for all intents and purposes).

Comparison of NTFS and FAT32:

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

An alternative solution would be to use MacDrive, which allows a PC to read and write HFS+ drives.
-----
Using the Drive Utility in OSX, you can format any size drive to FAT32. I just did a 300GB for some tests --- and it is all now FAT32.

Cheers -- Bob -- :)

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I dedicated a drive in my Mac Pro to Windows XP. Gave that drive two partitions - one 30GB partition in FAT32 which the XP sees as drive C, and one larger partition in NTFS which Windows sees as drive D. Drive C makes a nice go between for Mac and Windows - worls like a charm!

slinger1968

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
BadRambo said:
-----
Using the Drive Utility in OSX, you can format any size drive to FAT32. I just did a 300GB for some tests --- and it is all now FAT32.

But will XP read and write to a FAT32 drive over 32GB? I didn't think it would?

amin said:
I dedicated a drive in my Mac Pro to Windows XP. Gave that drive two partitions - one 30GB partition in FAT32 which the XP sees as drive C, and one larger partition in NTFS which Windows sees as drive D. Drive C makes a nice go between for Mac and Windows - worls like a charm!
This is pretty much what I've decided to do when I get my Mac Pro. But I've been using "work" partitions for files for well over 10 years. Keeping your files off the OS partition has always been SOP for me.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
slinger1968 said:
But will XP read and write to a FAT32 drive over 32GB? I didn't think it would?
It sure will. I have an external 300 GB Maxtor drive in FAT32 I've used with both XP and OS X.

B

JWFerne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Are there any file limitation sizes on Fat32 in Windows? I burn ISO's of movies that will be roughly 3-4 gig

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
JWFerne said:
Are there any file limitation sizes on Fat32 in Windows? I burn ISO's of movies that will be roughly 3-4 gig
Yes, FAT32 is limited to just under 4 GB maximum file size. So many ISOs violate that and would have to be split somehow...

B

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
BadRambo said:
-----

Well, you learn something new every day. Thanks Bob!

slinger1968

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
balamw said:
It sure will. I have an external 300 GB Maxtor drive in FAT32 I've used with both XP and OS X.

B
Thanks for the info, I don't think I've used FAT32 in about 4 years.

This will make it easy to set up a work drive that XP or Vista can share with OS X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.