Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
There has been a lot of research showing that writing with pen and paper retains more memory than writing on a keyboard.

That said, there are more tablet users who scribble with styluses now than before. The tech has improved and so have the software.

I came across this paper (condensed summary here) and this passage stood out:

Participants in the Tablet group used a stylus pen, thereby controlling for the effects of longhand writing with a pen in the Note group. It should be noted that physical sizes and spatial locations of a document remain constant for a paper notebook, whereas they become variable on the display of a tablet or smartphone. Moreover, not only the physical interaction of the hand with the pen/paper during note-taking but the actual writing of notes relative to each page of the real paper provides more concrete encoding information, because that information can be easily erased and updated by new information on the physically same screen of a tablet or smartphone.

I know that note taking apps on the iPad come in various flavors. For example, GoodNotes lets you simulate a notebook with fixed paper sizes and page flipping, and if memory serves right (as I don’t use this app anymore), Notability had an option for infinite scrolling. And most apps let you pick among lined notes and grid paper among other layouts.

Given the nature of the iPad, there is obviously no way to physically flip a page. And depending on a user’s usage habits, the 12.9” iPad Pro could be the only iPad that may let someone scribble without having to zoom in.

But even so, shouldn’t memory retention be more or less equal compared to pen and paper when scribbling with an Apple Pencil?

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
Interesting question! And thanks for sharing a fascinating paper - I'm involved in delivering e-learning for my University and I think a lot about these sorts of questions.

What is described in the introduction of this paper seems intuitively true to me: the benefits of a paper notebook are less about typing vs handwriting, and more about the fixed spatiality of paper. Information is associated with a particular place on the page and in the book in a way that is hard to replicate on an iPad, even in apps that borrow heavily from paper metaphors.

The other thing that seems important to me is distraction. I am used to multitasking on my iPad, and even when I'm marking up a PDF or handwriting notes, I know that interesting exciting internet content is only ever a slideover away! Perhaps my focus is distracted to some degree even by the potential for looking at something else, even if I don't do.

Bottomline - the findings of this article seem intuitively true to me: I think I probably retain more from paper notes than handwritten iPad notes. Whether that outweighs the other advantages (searchability, convenience, backups, etc) is another matter.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2021
Very interesting.
Pen and paper are technologies that tablets should help us work with. I don't believe we should totally replace them.

At the end of the day, I end up using pen and paper along the tablet (or even the computer).

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
Admittedly I am not exclusively iPad+Apple Pencil. I use a paper notebook and pen when I want to take notes during meetings. Granted, I do this not because of memory, but because pen and paper need less maintenance than a tablet and stylus and I don’t have to worry about battery levels.

I do use the iPad more than paper for brainstorming or other forms of writing that don’t involve time sensitivity.

I just felt the study was a bit flawed because the researchers didn’t seem to take into account the other ways a tablet can limit or expand a user’s writing space.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
What an interesting article!

I did a lot of reading into this last year when trying to decide to mostly type my notes or handwrite. I stopped using iPads about a year ago and went back to pen/paper for scribbles / call notes. But for everything else I take typed notes. I can type really fast so note taking for me is easy.

I disliked the size of the screen on my iPad Pro 11 - I could easily fit 2x more information onto an 8/11.5 paper. I disliked that I couldn't write small neatly. I disliked that I had to keep the screen clean. Despite writing on an iPad Pro 11 for several years (300-400 Notability notes) - I much preferred paper.

I did a lot of reading into typed vs handwritten notes and what little research I did, it came down to whether or not one takes notes verbatim and whether or not one reviews their notes within 24 hours - this had a much greater effect on retention than handwriting vs typed.
Re-type what one hears in one's own words or summarize what is said. This helps retention significantly.
Re-visit notes within a 24 hour period - this has the greatest impact on retention for me personally.

With this, I've gone almost 100% typed notes for my note taking. But, nothing beats de-stressing (emptying my brain) or brainstorming / sketching on paper. I always have a mechanical pencil and pad of paper near my desk and it gets used daily. The older I get, the more I find I need to take more notes and it helps a lot.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
But even so, shouldn’t memory retention be more or less equal compared to pen and paper when scribbling with an Apple Pencil?

No, because tablets are the devices we do so much shallow activity on. The way we read and write on tablets is very scattered, with a lot scrolling and scanning behaviour, and we bounce quickly between a lot of services that are designed to keep us endlessly engaged. That context is there no matter what you try to do on a tablet now.

I can read so much better on my Kindle because it's literally the only thing I do, or even can do, on that device.

As others said, the fixed spatiality helps as well. Even though the Kindle's screen is digital, the text on that page is static.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
No, because tablets are the devices we do so much shallow activity on. The way we read and write on tablets is very scattered, with a lot scrolling and scanning behaviour, and we bounce quickly between a lot of services that are designed to keep us endlessly engaged. That context is there no matter what you try to do on a tablet now.

I can read so much better on my Kindle because it's literally the only thing I do, or even can do, on that device.

As others said, the fixed spatiality helps as well. Even though the Kindle's screen is digital, the text on that page is static.
I disagree with the shallowness aspect. It isn’t the tablet that compels the user to do shallow activities. By that logic, full-fledged computers should be the least productive of all machines since macOS, Windows and Linux are wholly unrestricted compared to iOS.

Reactions: mr_jomo

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
There has been a lot of research showing that writing with pen and paper retains more memory than writing on a keyboard.

That said, there are more tablet users who scribble with styluses now than before. The tech has improved and so have the software.

I came across this paper (condensed summary here) and this passage stood out:

I know that note taking apps on the iPad come in various flavors. For example, GoodNotes lets you simulate a notebook with fixed paper sizes and page flipping, and if memory serves right (as I don’t use this app anymore), Notability had an option for infinite scrolling. And most apps let you pick among lined notes and grid paper among other layouts.

Given the nature of the iPad, there is obviously no way to physically flip a page. And depending on a user’s usage habits, the 12.9” iPad Pro could be the only iPad that may let someone scribble without having to zoom in.

It depends. It depends upon how one's brain uses the physical act of writing to store and recall information. Just as that study reported.

I've noticed this effect in my own note-taking. Early on in my use of iPad+Pencil, I shifted away from the endless page model of OneNote and Notability over to GoodNotes because fixed pages felt more natural. And with that shift came a slight improvement in retention and recall.

That seemed to work better for a few years but then I noticed something was still missing. The writing experience was too slippery... even with matte screen protectors. Alternative nibs didn't help. It's like I had to subconsciously be aware to keep the Pencil under control. Sure, it was ever-so-slight but the feeling was there. The backlight of the screen also seems to affect the experience. Light-emitting screens are in everything.

For those reasons, writing on a backlit screen with a stylus was still closer to digital than analog for me. Not just in experience but in retention and recall.

Last Winter I had a bit of downtime that allowed me to do some more reading than usual and having been gifted a few ebooks from my wife, I spent quite a bit of time on my basic kindle. It wasn't the first time that I used e-ink ereaders, but this time for extended periods of time. It felt like the missing piece.

I had my eye on the ReMarkable but I couldn't justify the price and capabilities for something I wasn't sure would work for me. When the Kindle Scribe was announced, I was intrigued. It was half the price of the ReMarkable. So when it went on sale in March, I picked one up... 32GB model with Premium Pen.

I know it's cliche to say it, but it was a game-changer for me. The e-ink screen, the texture of the screen, the fixed page sizes, felt so much more natural than anything I've experienced with the iPad+Apple Pencil.

Since purchasing the Scribe there have been a few updates to the firmware... just those few basic enhancements were enough for me to convert over fully to the Scribe for my digital notetaking, planning, and journals.

Obviously these experience will vary greatly by individual, but for me, whether it is psychological (knowing that this is different) or physiological (how my brain receives and retains information using this technology), there's a difference. It's only been 4 months of heavy use so time will tell. 😁

At this point, I'd love for Apple to produce a special purpose e-ink iPad. Not everything is possible with e-ink technology, but for those special use-cases, it would be great.

Last edited:

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
Since purchasing the Scribe there have been a few updates to the firmware... just those few basic enhancements were enough for me to convert over fully to the Scribe for my digital notetaking, planning, and journals.

Obviously these experience will vary greatly by individual, but for me, whether it is psychological (knowing that this is different) or physiological (how my brain receives and retains information using this technology), there's a difference. It's only been 4 months of heavy use so time will tell. 😁

At this point, I'd love for Apple to produce a special purpose e-ink iPad. Not everything is possible with e-ink technology, but for those special use-cases, it would be great.
Would you say the pen responsiveness on the Scribe is on par with the iPad and Apple Pencil? I’ve seen videos of owners doing test writing as there don’t seem to be any shops near me that have test units.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Would you say the pen responsiveness on the Scribe is on par with the iPad and Apple Pencil? I’ve seen videos of owners doing test writing as there don’t seem to be any shops near me that have test units.
Pen latency is just as good on the Scribe as it is with the iPad+Apple Pencil based on my first-hand real world experience.

The only time there's a noticeable difference is when rapidly scribbling like a madman across the entire length of the device. If I were a toddler, that difference would be annoying. ;)

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I've recently finished a master's degree. The last time I was at Uni (doing my bachelors) there were no mobile phones, laptops, wifi or internet. So a new experience!

Almost all our lectures were given as PDF slides, and we had the PDFs. On the first day, most of the class - much younger than me - got out their iPads and discussed various note-taking apps. I had pen & paper (and my laptop, but I didn't use it for note taking). By the end of the semester, I noticed quite a few had changed to pen & paper.

My technique was to take notes (there weren't many, to be fair) and add the slide number they referred to, such as "s22: overfitting: one reason is not enough data" and then that evening I'd use Preview to markup the actual slide with my written text. Worked well for me.

I kept all my handwritten notes/comments with the lecture subject and date as a heading for each. This helped with revision.

Reactions: Ghost31 and curdy

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I disagree with the shallowness aspect. It isn’t the tablet that compels the user to do shallow activities. By that logic, full-fledged computers should be the least productive of all machines since macOS, Windows and Linux are wholly unrestricted compared to iOS.

Phones and tablets are where the most shallow type of reading takes place, period. Scrolling social media, skimming through articles, skimming through videos finding one to watch - this type of usage is completely different to reading a book.

Desktop computers have a similar capacity for distraction and fragmented usage, though I'd say they are used somewhat more often for focused work than phones and tablets are.

No such shallow activity happens with pen and paper, or books. The context is completely different. The cognitive experience is completely different, and the studies all bear this out.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I switched my note taking from iPad (GoodNotes, Notability, Noteshelf etc) to pen & paper quite some time ago.
For me, that works a whole lot better.
No eraser, no Undo... means one's commitment to writing becomes more important.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I switched my note taking from iPad (GoodNotes, Notability, Noteshelf etc) to pen & paper quite some time ago.
For me, that works a whole lot better.
No eraser, no Undo... means one's commitment to writing becomes more important.
I don't know if it's my age or not but ... I find it's more my consistency and effort than the technology used. Yes, the technology used helps (which is why I think I also went back to pen/paper) but in the end, it was me being consistent, reviewing my notes within 24 hours, that made it work for me.

One really smart person told me - in the end you have to find out what works best for you.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Phones and tablets are where the most shallow type of reading takes place, period. Scrolling social media, skimming through articles, skimming through videos finding one to watch - this type of usage is completely different to reading a book.

Desktop computers have a similar capacity for distraction and fragmented usage, though I'd say they are used somewhat more often for focused work than phones and tablets are.

No such shallow activity happens with pen and paper, or books. The context is completely different. The cognitive experience is completely different, and the studies all bear this out.

I don't find that to be the case for reading books on an iPad and I'm a voracious reader. I was a reluctant adopter of ebooks but I just had no more room for more books (I like to keep what I buy and read). But I made the jump to 1st gen Kindle and while I still have a Kindle Oasis, I do the majority of reading on a iPad (M1 12.9 & Mini 6). I rarely pick up a "real" book these days.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I don't find that to be the case for reading books on an iPad and I'm a voracious reader. I was a reluctant adopter of ebooks but I just had no more room for more books (I like to keep what I buy and read). But I made the jump to 1st gen Kindle and while I still have a Kindle Oasis, I do the majority of reading on a iPad (M1 12.9 & Mini 6). I rarely pick up a "real" book these days.

I wouldn't say anyone who reads on a tablet is an idiot or anything, but there is a cognitive difference between reading books on the same screen you do all your shallow and distracted activities on, vs reading on something where those activities aren't possible.

Whether that difference is important, or something most would notice, is another matter.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I wouldn't say anyone who reads on a tablet is an idiot or anything, but there is a cognitive difference between reading books on the same screen you do all your shallow and distracted activities on, vs reading on something where those activities aren't possible.

Whether that difference is important, or something most would notice, is another matter.

Based on my personal experience, for me it is so negligible as to be nonexistent and I don't buy into this.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Based on my personal experience, for me it is so negligible as to be nonexistent and I don't buy into this.

Fair enough, but the studies do bear it out. Reading comprehension is higher from reading on paper vs reading on screens. We've had smartphones and tablets in abundance for only around a decade now, and we all use them every day. It is a bit of a stretch to say that this has no impact, or that we would easily notice the impact when using these devices has been our reality for years and we have nothing to compare it to.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Fair enough, but the studies do bear it out. Reading comprehension is higher from reading on paper vs reading on screens. We've had smartphones and tablets in abundance for only around a decade now, and we all use them every day. It is a bit of a stretch to say that this has no impact, or that we would easily notice the impact when using these devices has been our reality for years and we have nothing to compare it to.

Well, I'm 70 and have been reading a lot for a long time so I'll stick with my personal experience. I find myself perfectly capable of reading for extended periods without distraction (or skimming) on a tablet, every bit as much as with a physical book (of which I still have many hundreds). I primarily read non-fiction and technical books (I'm a retired engineer) which do not lend themselves to shallow reading.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Really interesting to think about, and I'm already learning from this that I'm making a mistake in how I take notes...

I guess I use note taking for two purposes-- one is to help retain the information I'm recording, but the other is to come back to as a reference. I think this is telling me those aren't compatible goals. My raw notes are typically full of scratch outs and redirections that force jamming stuff into margins and dealing with the fact that later information needs to reference back to earlier information. That makes them miserable for a future reference, but probably helps build the spatial connections that improve retention. The fact that I tend to erase and select and drag stuff to make space to fill in new information probably breaks that important spatial relation.

I disliked that I couldn't write small neatly.

I've always solved this by zooming into the sheet so I can fit more on the page, but that's probably running counter to the goal of adding spatial information to the content.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Well, I'm 70 and have been reading a lot for a long time so I'll stick with my personal experience. I find myself perfectly capable of reading for extended periods without distraction (or skimming) on a tablet, every bit as much as with a physical book (of which I still have many hundreds). I primarily read non-fiction and technical books (I'm a retired engineer) which do not lend themselves to shallow reading.

I believe you. The fact that you're 70 may have something to do with it though. I'm 31, and as someone who grew up with this stuff my experience has been vastly different to yours.

(Just regarding skimming, I don't mean that people reading books on tablets are likely to skim through the books they read - but that the fact that so much skimming is generally done on tablets can have a cognitive flow on effect to when you do read books on a tablet.)

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I believe you. The fact that you're 70 may have something to do with it though. I'm 31, and as someone who grew up with this stuff my experience has been vastly different to yours.

(Just regarding skimming, I don't mean that people reading books on tablets are likely to skim through the books they read - but that the fact that so much skimming is generally done on tablets can have a cognitive flow on effect to when you do read books on a tablet.)

Maybe. I can see it as a real problem - there are plenty of posts on the forum from people who say they don't like reading on the tablet as it is too easy to be distracted with jumping to email, etc. and that a dedicated e-reader like a Kindle is preferred. The tablet makes getting distracted very easy with quick access to other apps. I should note that I turn off all notifications so I don't get those kinds of prompts drawing me away.

As to the original subject, I prefer notetaking on paper. When I was working, there was a forcing function - our engineering notebooks were considered company property and were to be turned over when leaving or going to another project within the company.

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017

Again, I disagree. Shallow and deep reading can take place anywhere. Just because we have our phones far closer to our person throughout the day does not automatically mean it's the place to be for shallow reading.

And have you been to a bookstore or a supermarket recently? Have you seen the amount of drivel written on paper? That's my point. It really should not matter as to what medium is used to read.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Again, I disagree. Shallow and deep reading can take place anywhere. Just because we have our phones far closer to our person throughout the day does not automatically mean it's the place to be for shallow reading.

Studies do not bear this out. Generally, modern phone and tablet usage results in fragmented attention and distraction. Even just having your phone in your line of sight, even if it's off, has an enormous cognitive tax. This is shown in repeated studies.

And have you been to a bookstore or a supermarket recently? Have you seen the amount of drivel written on paper? That's my point. It really should not matter as to what medium is used to read.

My point is that modern technology has a vastly unappreciated impact on cognition.

I'm also not referring to the content as shallow, rather the application of attention to social media, articles, and other phone/tablet use is generally shallow.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaphaZ

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I don't read books online at all, but if I did and wanted no distractions, the good thing about iOS (finally) is that you can have a Focus mode trigger when you open an app and have that mode turn off all notifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.