Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syn-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
My macbook seems to think it has MORE ram then it really does. In task manager and a third party memory optimizer, it tells me that I have 1 gig of ram. But in fact, i have the stock 512 ram for the regular macbooks.

I had two fatal blue screen crashes related to ram and I think this might be the cause. Now if I look at the properties of my system under xp and it tells me that I have 480 megs of ram at 998mhz. I dunno if this problem is also in OSX since I dunno how to check my amount of ram under that.

I'm using the latest version of bootcamp btw. Does anyone know what is the problem? I want first to make sure it's not hardware related!

Edit : acually, I mixed up virtual and physical ram.... lol But I still had some weird ram erros, and is it normal for the ram to be at 998mhz?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
You can check your RAM is OS X by going to the Apple menu (upper left) and choosing "About This Mac".

Syn-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
cool thanks, is there like a good basic mac tutorial anywhere?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
n-abounds said:
Did you put your own RAM in? I thought Apple RAM was 667MHz...

It should be. I don't know why they installed faulty RAM. To the OP, either take it to the nearest Apple Store and have them switch out the RAM, or buy new RAM from OWC. Not the EconoRAM stuff but the good stuff. I'm sure you're going to want to eventually up the RAM, and it'd be a good idea.

Syn-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
I told myself the same thing about the ram speed. I was like, does 998 even exist???? Anyway, I'm under osx right now and it says the correct ram info about the ram, including speed. But is there a free mac utility that could test the ram? And is having the ram speed in Windows at 998mhz bad for the ram??

Btw, it was the ram that came with my mac.

Syn-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
peter32892 said:
What do you expect its windows.:rolleyes:

That is a intellectually lazy answer. I doubt they made this forum section to answer every question with that.

Syn-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
peter32892 said:
it was ment to be a joke.

Lol, I know it's a running gag, I just saw it in a lot in other threads and I knew what I would say if someone told me this.:p

If Matt has the same situation I guess it has to do with the hardware to windows compability in using bootcamp. But I'm still missing excactly 32 megs of ram under windows which I find very suspicious. I would still like to test the ram under Mac OS X if some people have trusted sites they recommend to search for RAM testing applications.

I'm really clueless to the mac scene, I just discovered widgets and what they are yesterday on my comp, pretty cool. And some nefty F9-F12 buttons. Lol, so you can imagine my overall mac knowledge is pretty small.:D

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Syn- said:
I would still like to test the ram under Mac OS X if some people have trusted sites they recommend to search for RAM testing applications.

http://www.memtestosx.org/

Syn- said:
I'm really clueless to the mac scene

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/
http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

Windows does report it as 998MHz.. and it DOES short you on RAM. I, for example, have 2GB of RAM in my MBP. Which is exactly 2048MB. But Windows tells me I have 1.98GB (Via My COmputer -> Properties). However, the Task Manger comes much closer to reporting actual correct amount of RAM. I wouldn't worry about it, since the XP implementation on Mac hardware is FAR from perfect (It's beta, remember!)

Syn-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
Thanks, the memory test passed both under Windows XP and Mac OSX. Dunno why 32 megs of ram disappears though, lol. Also thanks for the tutorial references to MacOSX, I will look into it when I have time. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go make some drinks with the new Gizmo I downloaded. :D

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
MattDell said:
I have two 512 sticks from Apple in my MBP and Windows says they're 998Mhz.

You're not the only one.

-Matt

That 998MHz figure in My Computer -> Properties isn't the RAM speed, although it's right near the RAM amount.

998MHz is the processor speed. When the machine's not under load, the speed steps down to 998MHz to conserve battery life. If you start up a few CPU intensive apps and re-open My Computer -> Properties, it'll read 2.0GHz.

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
MattDell said:
I have two 512 sticks from Apple in my MBP and Windows says they're 998Mhz.

You're not the only one.

-Matt

Oi.... The 998mhz is the PROCESSOR SPEED... [its only showing 998mhz due to speedstepping of the CPU]

I've been using windows for a long time, trust me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.