Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rosemary1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I just installed iOS7 on my iPhone 4S and I can't login to my iCloud account. I changed the email address/Apple ID on the account a few months ago, but the old ID is showing up on the login screen and it won't let me change it. How can I change it to what it's supposed to be?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I would start by going to iTunes on your computer...iTunes Store, "Quick Links" click on "Account", sign in to your Apple ID account and check it out. It may be as simple as not having signed in to your new account for a while. Or, it may be as simple as signing in and agreeing to the new terms. ...let us know here if this works

rosemary1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Nope, that's not it. I only have this one iTunes account and my computer is correctly logged into it.

I was able to change the User ID so I could accept the new terms, but in settings it is still locked to the old ID. :confused:

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
So, in your account settings (in iTunes), under "Apple ID Summary" it shows the correct Apple ID?

If yes, see "iTunes in the Cloud" there, click on "Manage Devices" ...is your iPhone 4S listed there (by name)?

If no, then you need to sign out of that apple ID, sign in to your old Apple ID, go to this section ("Manage Devices") and delete the iPhone (or all devices if not using that Apple ID anymore). (edit: then sign out and sign in to your new apple ID again.) You may need to do a sync via iTunes after this to fix things up.

Any of this help?

EDIT: sorry, in order to sign out, just quit iTunes and open it again.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
I have the same issue. If I delete the account, won't I lose all my photostream photos?

when you delete the iCloud account from the phone...it just removes it, like signing out. It'll ask if you want to keep data...say yes. Then when you sign back in with the iCloud account..it'll want to merge your data.

If you're concern with the photo stream data, save all photos from photo stream first.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
when you delete the iCloud account from the phone...it just removes it, like signing out. It'll ask if you want to keep data...say yes. Then when you sign back in with the iCloud account..it'll want to merge your data.

If you're concern with the photo stream data, save all photos from photo stream first.

I saw someone else also say that it will ask if you want to keep the data, but when I click delete, it says "If you delete your account, all documents and Photo Stream photos stored in iCloud will be deleted from this iPhone." and there's no option to prevent that. Am I doing this wrong? I just went to Settings > iCloud > Delete Account (at the bottom).

TheLoneCuber

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Find My iPhone Activation Lock

"Deleting the iCloud account" is not going to work for many people using iOS7 because it has a new feature called "Find My iPhone Activation Lock" which prevents you from deleting an iCloud account *if* Find My iPhone is turned ON and you don't have the correct username/password to do so. [More info from Apple on Activation Lock: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818]

I'm in exactly the same situation as rosemary1, where I installed iOS7 on my (old, unused) iPhone 4S, having changed the email address/Apple ID on my account a months ago [Nb: I didn't CHANGE Apple ID accounts; I simply UPDATED the email address in my existing Apple ID account]. In my phone, the old ID email is still showing up in the iCloud credentials and I cannot find a way to change it.

I have tried all the tricks I've found online...

- Signing out of the Store App
- Signing out of the App Store app
- Signing back in to Store and App Store with my updated Apple ID email address
- Plugging into to iTunes on my Mac and trying that method
- Logging into icloud.com and removing the devices from my Find My Phone list

Every App and service on my phone (App Store, Apple Store, iTunes, Game Centre, iTunes & App Store "Settings" info) is logged into my new ID and showing the new ID credentials, but Settings > iCloud > shows my old email address.

Nothing has worked. And nothing will work until I can turn Find My Phone OFF in my phone itself. But given that the old Apple ID email address no longer exists, and it is not a separate Apple ID account, I don;t know what to do. I am booked into to the Apple Store in a few days time.

Reactions: Tikatika

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
"Deleting the iCloud account" is not going to work for many people using iOS7 because it has a new feature called "Find My iPhone Activation Lock" which prevents you from deleting an iCloud account *if* Find My iPhone is turned ON and you don't have the correct username/password to do so. [More info from Apple on Activation Lock: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818]

I'm in exactly the same situation as rosemary1, where I installed iOS7 on my (old, unused) iPhone 4S, having changed the email address/Apple ID on my account a months ago [Nb: I didn't CHANGE Apple ID accounts; I simply UPDATED the email address in my existing Apple ID account]. In my phone, the old ID email is still showing up in the iCloud credentials and I cannot find a way to change it.

I have tried all the tricks I've found online...

- Signing out of the Store App
- Signing out of the App Store app
- Signing back in to Store and App Store with my updated Apple ID email address
- Plugging into to iTunes on my Mac and trying that method
- Logging into icloud.com and removing the devices from my Find My Phone list

Every App and service on my phone (App Store, Apple Store, iTunes, Game Centre, iTunes & App Store "Settings" info) is logged into my new ID and showing the new ID credentials, but Settings > iCloud > shows my old email address.

Nothing has worked. And nothing will work until I can turn Find My Phone OFF in my phone itself. But given that the old Apple ID email address no longer exists, and it is not a separate Apple ID account, I don;t know what to do. I am booked into to the Apple Store in a few days time.

Why can't you turn off find my iPhone? You're logged into an old Apple ID for iCloud, then just turn the setting off. After that delete the iCloud account and log back in with the right one?

----------

I saw someone else also say that it will ask if you want to keep the data, but when I click delete, it says "If you delete your account, all documents and Photo Stream photos stored in iCloud will be deleted from this iPhone." and there's no option to prevent that. Am I doing this wrong? I just went to Settings > iCloud > Delete Account (at the bottom).

Save the photostream photos first then delete account if you're concerned about the pictures

TheLoneCuber

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Why can't you turn off find my iPhone? You're logged into an old Apple ID for iCloud, then just turn the setting off. After that delete the iCloud account and log back in with the right one?

----------

That's exactly what this new feature is built to do - stop thieves stealing phones, deleting iCloud, and using them with new iCloud accounts. You CANNOT restore or delete iCloud if you cannot turn off Find my iPhone. And you cannot turn off Find My iPhone without verifying the username and password.

I am *not* signed in with the old ID because the old ID doesn't exist anymore (the email address on my Apple ID was updated). It's just that the old email address is stuck in the credentials box (Settings > iCloud > Account) with no way of changing it... or deleting the iCloud account... because I can't verify the password of an ID that doesn't exist.

mjvincent

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Same Boat

----------

That's exactly what this new feature is built to do - stop thieves stealing phones, deleting iCloud, and using them with new iCloud accounts. You CANNOT restore or delete iCloud if you cannot turn off Find my iPhone. And you cannot turn off Find My iPhone without verifying the username and password.

I am *not* signed in with the old ID because the old ID doesn't exist anymore (the email address on my Apple ID was updated). It's just that the old email address is stuck in the credentials box (Settings > iCloud > Account) with no way of changing it... or deleting the iCloud account... because I can't verify the password of an ID that doesn't exist.

I am in the same boat... it seems random as well... in that my iPad I was able to type in the old password and it accepted the password and I was able to delete the iCloud account and re log in with the new email address. However on an iPhone 4s I have been unsuccessful in deleting ( loggin out) of iCloud and changing the password. Hope someone figures out how to fix this!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I was in exactly the same situation, namely, my old email address was shown in my iCloud ID. On trying to turn off Find my iPhone it wouldn't accept my old password that I used to use with the old email address as shown on the ID. I then tried my new password (that is currently used in iTunes with my new email address) with the old email address. Lo and behold, this worked and I could turn off Find my iPhone.

I then deleted the iCloud account and set up a new one with the correct email address and password.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
I did it! I deleted the iCloud account from my iPhone. After warning me that my photostream will be deleted, it asked if I wanted to save the data on my phone. It then asked for my password (which worked with my old email address) to turn off Find My iPhone. Then the old account was deleted and I was able to log in to my new account. I was asked if I wanted to merge the data that I had saved on my phone and that was it! Now iCloud is on my new account.

I also had to change my id for iMessage and FaceTime. It still says it's waiting for activation but it works nevertheless.

kalnyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Still can't delete old iCloud account

Same boat. I changed my email addy associated with my apple id online, and over the course of time had to change the password (and forgot the old one). Now, my ipad has the old icloud email address hard coded into the settings and there is no way to delete this account, or use the correct email address that is working just fine everywhere else.

Wow. Horrible design. Guess I'm now forced to visit the store, which is incredibly burdensome.

----------

I was in exactly the same situation, namely, my old email address was shown in my iCloud ID. On trying to turn off Find my iPhone it wouldn't accept my old password that I used to use with the old email address as shown on the ID. I then tried my new password (that is currently used in iTunes with my new email address) with the old email address. Lo and behold, this worked and I could turn off Find my iPhone.

I then deleted the iCloud account and set up a new one with the correct email address and password.

Tried this several times and no dice. :(

"Your apple id or password is incorrect".

Not my pw, cause it works everywhere else. So, the old pw is still attached to my old id, which is hard coded into the system. Seriously poor design.

Dnaman

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2015
I have exactly the same catch-22 problem described by TheLoneCuber.

- the iCloud account info is an old login which no longer is recognised.
- can't delete the account info till I turn off Find my iPad
- need to enter iCloud login to turn off Find my iPad
- iCloud login isn't recognised so can't turn off Find my iPad

Has there ever been a definitive solution to this or do I have to go back to the apple store for unbricking?

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I have exactly the same catch-22 problem described by TheLoneCuber.

- the iCloud account info is an old login which no longer is recognised.
- can't delete the account info till I turn off Find my iPad
- need to enter iCloud login to turn off Find my iPad
- iCloud login isn't recognised so can't turn off Find my iPad

Has there ever been a definitive solution to this or do I have to go back to the apple store for unbricking?

In EXACTLY the same situation on all my iOS devices. Nowhere near an Apple Store. Support is turning it over to the Engineering Department to try and fix this. In the meantime, I'm screwed ... Cant sell or gift any of my devices. This is seriously the most ridicuLous Apple fubar I've ever seen. Furious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.