Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi!

This bug started when I upgraded to Yosemite. It could have been from Mavericks but I'm pretty sure since Yosemite.

I have a Mid 2012 rMBP 15", with Intel HD4000 and Geforce GT 650M. When I had GPU-switching on I had the same problem, but now I only use the dedicated graphics card.

The issue is that when I boot up my computer, the login screen is in an incorrect resolution. Everything's much bigger. I run my retina macbook in scaled 1920x1200 and I think the login screen is in native retina-mode (looks like 1440x900).

Another issue is that because of this (I think) there is a bug with the password field. If I click on my user profile picture nothing happens when I type something in the password field. I have to exit the user-login-mode and re-click my profile picture. The only way to make it work is to click it WHILE I'm typing random characters. Then it till take my input so I can erase and rewrite my password. It's just like there's a small window where it takes my input, just after I click the picture.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
The scaled resolutions are user settings, so the login screen is set to the resolution of the last user. When you boot up, you haven't logged in yet so it is at native resolution. If you create another user and have a different scaled resolution, you'll find that each new user's settings are retained for the next user's login.

e.g. I run scaled on an iMac5k, and my GF runs native. When I log out, the login screen is tiny. When I log in after my GF, it's normal.
Ah, that makes sense. But it wasn't like this before Yosemite. A new feature?

And also, the problem with the password field.

sammcj

macrumors member
May 10, 2009
Australia
Sorry to update an old thread, but this is still an issue on High Sierra and the newly released Mojave.

In fact, it's actually more of a problem than it used to be as now it seems that after you login and the OS changes resolution it likes to throw you to the wrong desktop - or a desktop you weren't on when you locked your machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.