Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

S1004

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
Could anyone please recommend cases for the iPad Pro 12.9" (5th generation | 2021)?

Whenever I come across a listing on Amazon, the seller is trying to market them for both 2021 and 2020. The two vary in size! This causes the 2021 iPad Pro to "pop out" of the case. Many of them are reported to have weak magnets.

Preferences:
  • Strong magnetic cover that smart wake/sleeps the iPad
  • Separate slot on the left side for Apple Pencil Storage (such that: it won't be charging 24/7 while attached to the right side) *
  • No keyboard attachment (because Logitech K380 will be used instead)
  • No product name branding where it is visible (i.e. front cover)
Please do not suggest:
  • Logitech Combo Touch (high price, even if it is $100 cheaper than Apple's MK; I could use K380 instead; the kickback mechanic is not strong enough to withstand angles for writing/drawing purposes; it's heavy)
  • Apple Magic Keyboard (high price isn't justifiable given my primary use of handwriting notes with minimal keyboard use; it's heavy)
  • Zugu iPad Case (hard casing; some reviews say it scratched or broke their iPad/screen; hefty price)
I might end up going with 1 of the 3 listed above, but would really like an inexpensive (keyboardless) case.

* Unsure about this. I've read that storing the iPad with the Pencil magnetically attached to the side will continuously charge the Pencil up to 100%, slowly draining the iPad's battery life. Thus, I'm looking for the case to have a slot to store it while the Pencil goes on "Standby mode" (where the pencil isn't charging and isn't actively connected to the iPad via Bluetooth). If I am wrong about this, please correct me!

Thank you

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I would find it very hard to believe that a Zugu case damaged an iPad. We have one for our 11” Pro for almost two years and it’s been an awesome case hands down, the materials seem very high quality.

Personally I’m going with a keyboard case from Brydge this time but if I was in the market for a simpler case it would be another Zugu no question.

Reactions: S1004

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Do you want a slim case that protects the entire sides of the iPP? Not a Apple Smart Folio type of case?

Reactions: S1004

S1004

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
Open to both as long as the magnets hold the iPad relatively securely!

If that's the case, I'll consider a Zugu case for its adjustable angle feature. The hard casing would prevent bending issues (during inside-backpack-moments). For now, I bought a cheap case to use while looking for a case. :D

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
Love my Torro case. Have also dropped my iPad in it and all is well. Mine is in red, my friend got theirs in black.

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Otterbox Symmetry Elite for the 5th gen 12.9” is nice and works well. I actually preferred their Symmetry case for the 3rd & 4th gens on my 3rd gen 12.9” as the flap to protect the pencil was actually more convenient in daily use than the clearly over-engineered slider they introduced now, but as they made the material to protect the sides of the iPad harder and stronger, I chose to live with it. The pencil slider is actually my only major complaint for this case, it’s a solution looking for a problem.

It has a barely visible, very discrete, embossed Otterbox branding on the left edge. Expect the back plastic side to get scratched quite a bit (speaking from my experience of using the previous gen of this case for 2.5 years, it’s not totally scratch-resistant as the website would have you believe) but the idea is to protect the iPad. ?

Last edited:

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I’m loving the Magic Keyboard, but they way I use the iPad in a production environment I can’t trust anyone else respecting it. Yes, there’s AppleCare+ but I‘m not one to hit other cars just because I have insurance. I still take care of what I own whether I keep it short or long. I bought a cheap silicon case for this purpose and I’m expecting delivery of it today. I’ll see if it’s worth the trouble switching between Magic Keyboard and case…

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Anyone recommend any others that are light/thin but quality? or is apple slim case the best?

PhillyAnt

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2013
Philly
I had this zugu case and absolutely loved it. Probably the best case out there in my opinion. Unfortunately I didn’t like the size and weight increase, even though it was minimal. I ended up returning it and went for the Apple Smart Folio. Way overpriced, but it is slim and light and does exactly what I need.

PS: F U Apple and your high prices on everything. And F U to myself too for always giving them my money! lol

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I had this zugu case and absolutely loved it. Probably the best case out there in my opinion. Unfortunately I didn’t like the size and weight increase, even though it was minimal. I ended up returning it and went for the Apple Smart Folio. Way overpriced, but it is slim and light and does exactly what I need.

PS: F U Apple and your high prices on everything. And F U to myself too for always giving them my money! lol

yeah I'm looking for lightweight for sure!

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
I’m loving the Magic Keyboard, but they way I use the iPad in a production environment I can’t trust anyone else respecting it. Yes, there’s AppleCare+ but I‘m not one to hit other cars just because I have insurance. I still take care of what I own whether I keep it short or long. I bought a cheap silicon case for this purpose and I’m expecting delivery of it today. I’ll see if it’s worth the trouble switching between Magic Keyboard and case…
Hi there.

Can you confirm if the Magic Keyboard case can be completely folded back on itself? As in the screen would be facing forward with the other side folded flush against the back.

It's for hanging (securely of course), to the back of a vehicle seat for the kids to watch in the back.

Thanks,
Stuart.

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Can you confirm if the Magic Keyboard case can be completely folded back on itself? As in the screen would be facing forward with the other side folded flush against the back.

It's for hanging (securely of course), to the back of a vehicle seat for the kids to watch in the back.

The Magic Keyboard does not fully fold on itself due to hinges; it can only open up to its maximum angle as shown here:

Reactions: StuartMoore

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
@StuartMoore I would suggest getting the alternative which is the Logitech Combo Touch. I'm probably getting that as well if I end up traveling starting end of this year to next. It looks to be better in terms of flexibility and protection.

Reactions: StuartMoore

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
@StuartMoore I would suggest getting the alternative which is the Logitech Combo Touch. I'm probably getting that as well if I end up traveling starting end of this year to next. It looks to be better in terms of flexibility and protection.
I have the Logitech Combo Touch keyboard case and it is better than MK in terms of protecting the iPad on all sides (and has a few other advantages), and it does of course fully fold on itself with the keyboard reversed, but I would not use this in @StuartMoore 's case for hanging the iPad on the back of a seat as the keyboard is magnetically attached to the rest of the case. I am not sure if the built-in kickstand would safely hold the iPad while driving either; I would not rely on it. He should probably look into dedicated back seat holders for iPads.

Last edited:

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
I have the Logitech Combo Touch keyboard case and it is better than MK in terms of protecting the iPad on all sides (and has a few other advantages), and it does of course fully fold on itself with the keyboard reversed, but I would not use this in @StuartMoore 's case for hanging the iPad on the back of a seat as the keyboard is magnetically attached to the rest of the case. I am not sure if the built-in kickstand would safely hold the iPad while driving either; I would not rely on it. He should probably look into dedicated back seat holders for iPads.

Thanks for your suggestions / info. I will take a look at the Logitech one then. But perhaps just some sort of basic case for when attaching to the back of the car seats, and use the Logitech for at home / work!

Last edited:

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Thanks for your suggestions / info. I will take a look at the Logitech one then. But perhaps just some sort of basic case for when attaching to the back of the car seats, and use the Logitech for at home / work!
The Logitech Combo has a magnetically detachable keyboard. Which means all you have to do is pull out the keyboard and the one attached to the iPad is simply a protective case in itself and ready for hanging to the back of the headrest via a clamp.

Of course you wouldn’t want to include the keyboard when hanging to save on weight and prevent damage to it.

No need to buy another case to get iPad in and out. That’s the beauty of the Logitech design. It turns into a simple protective case without the keyboard.

StuartMoore

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2011
Scotland
The Logitech Combo has a magnetically detachable keyboard. Which means all you have to do is pull out the keyboard and the one attached to the iPad is simply a protective case in itself and ready for hanging to the back of the headrest via a clamp.

Of course you wouldn’t want to include the keyboard when hanging to save on weight and prevent damage to it.

No need to buy another case to get iPad in and out. That’s the beauty of the Logitech design. It turns into a simple protective case without the keyboard.
Ah that's great!

Sounds like it's ideal for what I need then.

Thank you!

Reactions: LeonPro

Tonia12

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2022
Could anyone please recommend cases for the iPad Pro 12.9" (5th generation | 2021)?

Whenever I come across a listing on Amazon, the seller is trying to market them for both 2021 and 2020. The two vary in size! This causes the 2021 iPad Pro to "pop out" of the case. Many of them are reported to have weak magnets.

Preferences:
  • Separate slot on the left side for Apple Pencil Storage (such that: it won't be charging 24/7 while attached to the right side) *
Please do not suggest:
  • Logitech Combo Touch (high price, even if it is $100 cheaper than Apple's MK; I could use K380 instead; the kickback mechanic is not strong enough to withstand angles for writing/drawing purposes; it's heavy)
  • Apple Magic Keyboard (high price isn't justifiable given my primary use of handwriting notes with minimal keyboard use; it's heavy)
  • Zugu iPad Case (hard casing; some reviews say it scratched or broke their iPad/screen; hefty price)
I might end up going with 1 of the 3 listed above, but would really like an inexpensive (keyboardless) case.

* Unsure about this. I've read that storing the iPad with the Pencil magnetically attached to the side will continuously charge the Pencil up to 100%, slowly draining the iPad's battery life. Thus, I'm looking for the case to have a slot to store it while the Pencil goes on "Standby mode" (where the pencil isn't charging and isn't actively connected to the iPad via Bluetooth). If I am wrong about this, please correct me!

Thank you

Preferences:
Please do not suggest:

Hey friend “
I saw your post on the market section my husband has Slim Case for iPad Pro 12.9" (5th generation | 2021) for sale if you are still interested, he deals with stuffs like this, the best and quickest way to reach

Email him:

fredrickm042@gmail.com

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.