Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
So just got an iPhone SE 2022 and notice the cable supplied is a USB-C to lightning cable. Now I know Apple have stopped supplying power adapters in the box because "everyone has one" but what everyone actually has is a USB-A power adapter. So why ship a USB-C cable in the box?? The cable is literally useless for me. Not impressed Apple ?
Well the good news is your existing USB-A to Lightning cables will still work, of course. That’s what I’m doing, plus I’ve added some 3rd party USB-C chargers to my Amazon cart. I plan on buying them strategically, when there are sales, etc.

Apple makes amazing iPhones but I refuse to buy accessories from them. I feel like I’ll be rewarding some (in my opinion) anti-consumer business practices. They definitely should have included the USB-C charger for a few more cycles before stopping altogether.

Reactions: remington79

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
My cable is still in the box from when I bought my iPhone 12. I have USB-A ports in my home so the USB-C was pointless at this point for me. I’d imagine there’s a lot of people out there that still use older chargers and haven’t bothered with this type of cable. Apple did try and promote using old chargers anyway. Never bothered with MagSafe either.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
My phone is capable of fast charge but I always use my old 5w brick that a previous phone came with.
I plug it in when I go to sleep and don’t care how long it takes to charge as it is always full when I wake.
Me too. I must be special, because my local T-Mobile shop threw in a free USB-C brick, but it’s rarely used; my 13 charges overnight with the same USB-A to Lightening setup that I used on my last Eye Phone, next to my bed. The USB-C brick is used for my iPad.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[..|]

To this day they should still have a coupon for a charger if they’re going to be too cheap to include one with every phone. “Going green” is just the excuse to be cheap and save some pennies without turning off most of the customer base. Say that phrase and they could start making the phones of flimsy plastic and charge $200 more and get away with it.
Apple won’t include a coupon. It will create a secondary market with apple footing the bill.

[…]

But what Apple has done here only serves to remind more consumers to buy fast chargers and then add another $19 in profits for every new iPhone sold as Apple for “some odd reason” didn’t lower iPhone prices after removing the chargers.
New tech costs more and apple kept the price of the phone consistent with the last model. They didn’t make $19 more due to the exclusion of the charger.
~~~~~~~~~
I didn’t even realize the AirPods Pro had a usb-c cable until today….and I’ve had them for a few months. We wanted a charger with multiple ports and my wife ordered the wrong one accidentally. What came was a 36 watt two port usb-c Amazon basics charger. So now I’m charging my Xs max using the Amazon basics charger and surprised at how fast it charges.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
New tech costs more and apple kept the price of the phone consistent with the last model. They didn’t make $19 more due to the exclusion of the charger.
The launch price of the iPhone 11 was £729 and the iPhone 12 followed it at £799. I think Apple did hike the price and a £70 increase wasn’t consistent to me. The price increased without that extra cost of a charger for Apple.

Reactions: remington79

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
Thankfully I went from 11p to 13p. If my husband were to upgrade now from his XR, he would also have to buy a brick. So yeah, I think they could’ve included a brick or sell one for cheap, like $5 on their website.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Think of this as an opportunity to buy a third party charger. Third party chargers are nicer than Apple's own, often having higher power output in the same size. Anker has some good ones, particularly this one:

20 watts in the same size as the original Apple 5 watt iPhone charger.

Reactions: jetsam

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Think of this as an opportunity to buy a third party charger. Third party chargers are nicer than Apple's own, often having higher power output in the same size. Anker has some good ones, particularly this one:

20 watts in the same size as the original Apple 5 watt iPhone charger.
I have two of these myself. Highly recommended.

Buying hint: If you don't need it right away, it drops to something under $14 on a semi-regular basis. The current $19 price is a historical high.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I certainly wouldn't want Apple to have to raise the price of every iPhone by $30 by including a wall adapter with each one. They are expensive enough. If you need one you can easily buy one. I'm a big fan of USB C and I am glad they are moving in that direction. I have switched all my cables to have USB C on at least one end.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I or someone in my household has bought a new phone of every single iPhone generation except the 12. Apple didn't provide a USB-C brick in any generation except the 11 Pro. The base 11 didn't get C, it got USB-A cord plus a USB-A brick.

The 12 and later removed the brick completely, but switched to USB-C cord.

So unless you bought an 11 Pro, you didn't get a USB-C brick in an iPhone. And most people don't upgrade every generation. So fine, people who DID buy an 11 Pro are set. But nobody else. Even pro buyers tend to go two years or more between upgrades. (The average is 2.6 years according to independent studies. So alternating 2 generations then 3 generations.)
It clearly depends where you are.
In most countries of the world they've been continuing to supply chargers and they've been USB-C for several years now. You can also use your Mac charger if you've got one.
(Their chargers adjust automatically to the output requirement. If you use USB-C you can't overcharge your phone and they don't overheat)

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Well the device was purchased for me as a work phone. Didn't really have a choice in the matter 🤷‍♂️
Well apart from this being sort of old news, it’s also mentioned in their what’s in the box section. And their computers ship with usb-c ports, as do all their chargers amongst many others.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Well the device was purchased for me as a work phone. Didn't really have a choice in the matter 🤷‍♂️
Then buy the cable and expense the cost to your company or request it thru your company's IT/HR Depts. That's why I would do. If they ask why, just state the charger is not applicable to the supplied accessories of the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.