Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
WTF, does Apple Pencil not work with all iOS devices? Maybe not be able to have 100% functionality where hardware dies not support but why is backward compatibility not an option?

decio

Suspended
Jun 17, 2016
Just coz! No, they want to make their lineup more splintered than it already is and antagonize the customers who shelled out beaucoup cash to buy a 12,9 inch just months before! I was considering an ipad air 2 but I really wanted to use the pencil for note taking too :(

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
WTF, does Apple Pencil not work with all iOS devices? Maybe not be able to have 100% functionality where hardware dies not support but why is backward compatibility not an option?
Other devices do not have the necessary sensors in the screen. It's hardware - not a passive stylus like most others.

decio

Suspended
Jun 17, 2016
Other devices do not have the necessary sensors in the screen. It's hardware - not a passive stylus like most others.
There is still no justification for adding it to the 9,7 and leaving it out of the 12,9! You really believe that it wasn't ready to ship when the bigger ipad pro was released?

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I'd have your pencil or iPad checked out…I can confirm that it's fine on my 12.9" and most of the early reviews didn't have any complaints (most were praising the capabilities and functions and only criticizing the price).

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Same here, works perfectly on my 12.9" IPP. This is the first time I've heard any IPP owner complain about the Pencil not working. I'd love to hear exactly what @decio is complaining about?

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I know! Why isn't the Apple Smart Keyboard backwards compatible?! Why isn't 3D Touch backwards compatible?! Why isn't the fast charging wall adapter backwards compatible?! I just don't understand what could be so complicated can't they just make everything work.

decio

Suspended
Jun 17, 2016
Well, there are actually more than a couple of people that have connectivity issues and I think it's just my pencil that is sketchy and not the ipad. Several sites have articles about trouble shooting the pencil so please don't act like i'm the first to mention it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't see using the stylus on my iPhone Se, that just doesn't make sense.

Perhaps in time, but I can't see the Apple Pencil being useful even on an iPhone Plus, the stylus is just too big to be useful on such a small display (small compared to the iPad's display)

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Well, there are actually more than a couple of people that have connectivity issues and I think it's just my pencil that is sketchy and not the ipad. Several sites have articles about trouble shooting the pencil so please don't act like i'm the first to mention it.

Earlier you were saying that the pencil had been "left out" of the 12.9" IPP and this is the misinformation I was correcting.

As for minor issues, I've personally not experienced any nor have I heard anyone else experiencing any but I dare say it's possible. However, since the IPP and Pencil are both still less than a year old then it should be no problem getting warranty service if indeed there are a few bad units out there. No need to suggest the 12.9 doesn't support the Pencil.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Earlier you were saying that the pencil had been "left out" of the 12.9" IPP and this is the misinformation I was correcting.

As for minor issues, I've personally not experienced any nor have I heard anyone else experiencing any but I dare say it's possible. However, since the IPP and Pencil are both still less than a year old then it should be no problem getting warranty service if indeed there are a few bad units out there. No need to suggest the 12.9 doesn't support the Pencil.

I won't attempt to invalidate the problems a person is experiencing with their device, but to claim that Apple by design developed different support for the Apple Pencil between the 9.7 and 12.9 models is goofy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: craig1410

decio

Suspended
Jun 17, 2016

I have been misunderstood, i'm thinking the implementation is better on the 9,7 than on the 12,9 not that it was left out. I still think that Apple leaves out certain capabilities and limits others although they could easily put it in!

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I have been misunderstood, i'm thinking the implementation is better on the 9,7 than on the 12,9 not that it was left out. I still think that Apple leaves out certain capabilities and limits others although they could easily put it in!

Fair enough - although, speaking as an engineer and business owner I think you're being a bit unfair in your expectations of Apple. I think they bring technology to their customers as fast as they reasonably can without significantly compromising quality and usability. They get this balance correct most, although certainly not all of the time.

The iPad Pro 12.9" was something of a big step forward at the time it was released but Apple will continue to refine their products which inevitably leaves older products behind. This is simply a result of innovation and evolution and is far preferable to the alternative which is stagnation. I for one do not look forward to the day when Apple regularly release products which are the same or worse than previously released products...

Reactions: decio

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
No you haven't been misunderstood. You are simply wrong. You might "think" the implementation is better on the 9.7 than the 12.9 but there is no evidence nor statement from Apple to support that belief.

Now you think that Apple left out certain capabilities... what exact is different between how the 9.7 Pro and 12.9 Pro support the Pencil?

There is still no justification for adding it to the 9,7 and leaving it out of the 12,9! You really believe that it wasn't ready to ship when the bigger ipad pro was released?
You flat out said that the 9.7 had support for the Pencil but the 12.9 did not. When you were corrected on that point, you then shifted to "well, it doesn't work the same on the 12.9 as it does on the 9.7".

Your comments are all over the place and contradict themselves. That is not us misunderstanding you. We understand what you wrote.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal

Have a 12.9 and a Pencil. Works fine....just like every other person in the world.

Most likely there is user error involved. Perhaps you should stick to paper and pen.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You acting as if the pencil would only work on the smaller pro device does not work in your favour either. The pencil is made for both pro devices. Connection issues will hardly be a problem of just one device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.