Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Here's the story. I use my MBP both at home and at work (and other places). At home, I have an BT Mighty Mouse. Works fine. At work, I was using a BT regular Apple mouse, which worked fine most of the time, but at certain times, for no apparent reason, the mouse gets REALLY sluggish, jumpy, inaccurate. It almost seems like its not communicating with the computer properly, or if the sensor isn't reading the desktop surface properly.

When its doing this, my trackpad still functions normally. Also, when it does this, I sometimes turn the mouse off, then turn it back on... which usually cures it for a bit.

I've tried using a mouse pad, then not using a mouse pad, still does it. I've tried different color surfaces, still does it. I've even upgraded the mouse from the 1 button BT mouse to a Mighty Mouse, it STILL does it. Never at home, always at work. I've even reinstalled the Mighty Mouse software.

So does anyone have any suggestions what else I could try or what could be wrong? I should mention that I use a BT Keyboard as well (at home and at work) and I've never experienced any issues with it. This is REALLY driving me crazy. :(

Thanks for your help!
Tim

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Make sure no hairs get caught in the laser pointer and try and keep it as clean as possible. Occassionally mine goes mental but a quick blow up its bum and its fine. :D

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Sounds like a bad connection between the Bluetooth module and the mouse for some reason... I had it happen sometimes with my old Logitech mouse, turning the mouse off and back on would fix it. If it happens really frequently though, I'd suggest taking it in to have it looked at. Might be something wonky with the Bluetooth module/antenna/whatever.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Oh I wanted to add: is it possible to get interference with Bluetooth? If so, could it cause this problem?

I am considering bringing it to my local Apple store. I get this feeling that I'll never be able to reproduce the problem there though....

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Well, try the MBP + the mouse in other locations before you go to the Apple store.

It's unlikely that it's interference—Bluetooth hops frequencies 1600 times a second, making it pretty resistant to interference. It seems more likely to me that it's some problem with reception. You wouldn't notice it with your keyboard as much, but with a mouse where you need constant communication, it's obviously much more noticeable. The keystrokes get there, but because you don't need constant feedback in the same way you do with a mouse pointer, it's less noticeable. The mouse GETS to where you want it, but not smoothly.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Yeah, I guess I need to try to duplicate the problem somewhere else first. I REALLY hope this doesn't require me to have to ship the computer off. I'd hate to have to be without it. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.