Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
My biggest concern with AltStore is that it offers no way of selecting a team. Without that, it defaults to a free dev account, which means the certs will only live for 7 days and not 365 even with accounts otherwise belonging to paying dev group(s) granted certs lasting exactly a year.

Back in the pre-AltStore days the situation was simple: to install unc0ver, you connected the iPhone to the desktop, dragged the IPA on top of Impactor and logged in, also selecting the dev team (if any) for a one-year cert after giving it your l/p. You certainly can do this with the current 14.4+-compilant 8.0.2 unc0ver too and it'll install. However, it'll display "Unsupported" in the bottom button instead of "Jailbreak". That is, its fully inoperable. You MUST use AltStore to install it whether you want it or not.

And AltStore has tons of problems. Most of the time, it complains about AltServer invisibility / communication problems. I experienced these problems on both my 16" M1 Pro and early 2015 13".

And if it does find AltServer and can at all renew its cert / that of unc0ver, it still can't make use of team(s) the current account may belong to. There's no "Team" selector in the app, unlike in Impactor.

And now that I switched to another account in AltStore (I tested whether I can select a team somewhere during the switch), it (after a refresh) created a completely new, non-initialized instance of itself. The other app it used to maintain, unc0ver, "is no longer available" now. I assume I'd need to go thru all the hoops to install it again.

Every cloud has a silver lining, tho: the "Untether" app is still operable and I assume it'll survive more than 7 days, just like Cydia apps. After all, it was "Untether" that was able to properly re-jailbreak my phone after a reset. unc0ver, on the other hand, stuck at "Boostrapping resources 29/32". I waited for around 10 minutes; then, when I killed unc0ver, absolutely nothing worked afterwards, not even restarting the phone (power + vol up). The desktop didn't recognize the phone either. I had to enable the flash and run the screen on max backlight to get the battery empty ASAP to be able to reboot the phone. Fortunately, it helped. Afterwards, I gave a try to jailbreaking from inside Untether this time (and not from unc0ver, which, again, messed up my phone royally) and it worked just fine. So I assume we don't need the unc0ver icon at all and the Untether icon will work just fine? That is, it's possible we don't need this highly unreliable AltStore/AltServer combo at all as it only refreshed the certs of itself and unc0ver, but not that of Untether? That'd be great - I just don't want to spends dozens of minutes every six days trying to get AltStore and AltServer communicate so that the former can refresh my certs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.