Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Here's a few:
Loser: Konfabulator (And Arlo Rose) I think we all know why.
Winner: RSS
Winner: Anyone who makes or uses an image or video editing app. CoreImage and CoreVideo look AMAZING.
Winner: People without OCD. Spotlight will save us all lots of time.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Might I suggest one?
"Winner: Steve Jobs, for delivering a WWDC keynote actually focused on new features for developers."
I'm not a developer myself, but Steve got my attention with the mention of the Dashboard SDK. :D

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i say a big thumbs down to non-.Mac subscribers. i can't believe he emphasized tiger's integration with .Mac so much when .Mac is a paid, subscription service. the price of tiger should reflect the included features available for all users. it's one thing to include features not used by everyone (like xcode, for me, since i don't code) but it's quite another to include "features" that cannot be used without paying more money! :mad:

good for you if you have .Mac. i don't. and i think it's quite sleazy even though it probably makes business sense for apple.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Gmail and Yahoo and .Mac

With the recent focus of massive storage on Gmail by Google, and the upgraded Yahoo, all for free, the .Mac benefit its looking pretty pathetic.

Perhaps Apple will head down this road with more space to sync those home dorectories. I know that a paltry 100 meg iDisk will barely cover 1 or 2 PDF journals I have much less my directory. But offering a few gigs, integrated with Tiger and a seamless desktop between Macs with a braoadband connection sounds very nice. Storage is cheap. It would be a fairly insiginicant cost to upgrade all the current paying subscribers to a minimum of 1 gig, or even 2 for Apple. I am sure it could be dynamic and not even reserve the space until its needed for real use.

.Mac is a service Apple will hopefully keep around a while. Sadly, I remember the eWorld issue when they suddenly packed up and transferred everyone to AOL. But in my case, I got .Mac so I would have a stable email in a changing market. But with gigs of storage for free all around, Apple will need to revamp .Mac to stay alive.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Coolvirus007 said:
konfabulator.... I smell a lawsuit brewing.

Yeah I bet. Just like Sherlock/Watson, there is no lawsuit there, and there never will be. You can't license everything in the computer world. I believe I read that apple was the first to use widgets a long time ago also.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
seamuskrat said:
With the recent focus of massive storage on Gmail by Google, and the upgraded Yahoo, all for free, the .Mac benefit its looking pretty pathetic.

Perhaps Apple will head down this road with more space to sync those home dorectories. I know that a paltry 100 meg iDisk will barely cover 1 or 2 PDF journals I have much less my directory. But offering a few gigs, integrated with Tiger and a seamless desktop between Macs with a braoadband connection sounds very nice. Storage is cheap. It would be a fairly insiginicant cost to upgrade all the current paying subscribers to a minimum of 1 gig, or even 2 for Apple. I am sure it could be dynamic and not even reserve the space until its needed for real use.

.Mac is a service Apple will hopefully keep around a while. Sadly, I remember the eWorld issue when they suddenly packed up and transferred everyone to AOL. But in my case, I got .Mac so I would have a stable email in a changing market. But with gigs of storage for free all around, Apple will need to revamp .Mac to stay alive.

Agree 100% about idisk. This seems to be biggest disappointment but the largest in protential. If Apple could increase this to a couple a gigs that would be worth it for me. I know all that Gmail is free but it won't have the seamless integration with OSX especially with Tiger.

But come on Apple! Were paying $100 for this, give us some massive storage!

Also there is just something about that @mac.com email address. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.