Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
am not a web design pro, but i created (and maintain) several simple sites. so...need something to (mostly) update them, rework some elements periodically.

thinking of moving from dreamweaver. any recommendations for an easy-to-use (or adapt to after dreamweaver) web app for 10.11? i need to work visually, am not code-proficient...

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
muse? replaces dreamweaver? and it's an adobe app, NOT in the cloud? am not interested in a subscription model, and am trying to avoid needing java (as dreamweaver CS6 does...)

mossy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
Ireland
I think your options are fairly limited. DreamWeaver is one of the best tools for someone in your situation. It works well, is very stable and has a boat load of help for you out there on the web. Maybe think twice my friend - it aint all that bad of an editor.

But if you feel like making a move up a level, I would advise you to try Adobe Brackets, and learn some HTML and CSS as you go forward. You might be surprised at how easy you pick it all up.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I think your options are fairly limited. DreamWeaver is one of the best tools for someone in your situation. It works well, is very stable and has a boat load of help for you out there on the web. Maybe think twice my friend - it aint all that bad of an editor.

But if you feel like making a move up a level, I would advise you to try Adobe Brackets, and learn some HTML and CSS as you go forward. You might be surprised at how easy you pick it all up.

since java is capable of working (and there's a beta as well), i'll probably stick with dreamweaver...since i already own it. but will check out muse... i def do not want to get into html etc, am already overloaded!

nikmatt

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Orlando, FL
Rapidweaver is a well-known WYSIWYG editor/builder that's been around for quite some time. Then there are newer ones like Sparkle and a web-based app called Blocks. I can't really vouch for any of these things, though, because I have no need for them.

I know you've probably heard this a hundred times and don't want to hear it, but I promise you'd be doing yourself a favor by pushing yourself into being more comfortable doing things "by hand," especially if you're only going to need to rely on the basics to do something like tweak simple websites you've already made. HTML and CSS may be getting more powerful by the day, but all the fancy stuff that's possible to do now doesn't make the simple stuff more of a chore (in fact, it's quite the opposite). I started teaching myself HTML/CSS when I was, like, thirteen years old, and I promise you that if the lazy sack of flab that was pre-teen me could pick it up, so can you.

Learning this stuff is easier now than it has ever been. Not only are there many intuitive and beautifully made IDEs/text-editors (both open source and commercial) to choose from, but there is a bounty of kick-ass websites available to reference and learn from. Editors like Panic's Coda and MacRabbit's Espresso are powerful, but easy to use, and provide features that are comparable to aspects of Dreamweaver (live previews and GUI-based live styling) without the handholding and unnecessarily restrictive (and bloated) code generation. Then there are sites like W3Schools to start learning from the ground floor and more comprehensive (and, as a result, more technical) resources like MDN (Mozilla Developer Network), which now has a very nice guide for beginners that I'd personally recommend over W3Schools.

Basically, I'm saying that if you are technologically savvy enough to feel comfortable playing around in the magical world of beta operating systems (and since this thread is in the OS X 10.11 forum, I'm assuming you are), getting a handle on HTML and CSS shouldn't be too difficult. They're by far the most accessible aspect of web development and you've got nothing to lose other than a bit of your spare time.

Knowledge is power, friend!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Rapidweaver is a well-known WYSIWYG editor/builder that's been around for quite some time. Then there are newer ones like Sparkle and a web-based app called Blocks. I can't really vouch for any of these things, though, because I have no need for them.

I know you've probably heard this a hundred times and don't want to hear it, but I promise you'd be doing yourself a favor by pushing yourself into being more comfortable doing things "by hand," especially if you're only going to need to rely on the basics to do something like tweak simple websites you've already made. HTML and CSS may be getting more powerful by the day, but all the fancy stuff that's possible to do now doesn't make the simple stuff more of a chore (in fact, it's quite the opposite). I started teaching myself HTML/CSS when I was, like, thirteen years old, and I promise you that if the lazy sack of flab that was pre-teen me could pick it up, so can you.

Learning this stuff is easier now than it has ever been. Not only are there many intuitive and beautifully made IDEs/text-editors (both open source and commercial) to choose from, but there is a bounty of kick-ass websites available to reference and learn from. Editors like Panic's Coda and MacRabbit's Espresso are powerful, but easy to use, and provide features that are comparable to aspects of Dreamweaver (live previews and GUI-based live styling) without the handholding and unnecessarily restrictive (and bloated) code generation. Then there are sites like W3Schools to start learning from the ground floor and more comprehensive (and, as a result, more technical) resources like MDN (Mozilla Developer Network), which now has a very nice guide for beginners that I'd personally recommend over W3Schools.

Basically, I'm saying that if you are technologically savvy enough to feel comfortable playing around in the magical world of beta operating systems (and since this thread is in the OS X 10.11 forum, I'm assuming you are), getting a handle on HTML and CSS shouldn't be too difficult. They're by far the most accessible aspect of web development and you've got nothing to lose other than a bit of your spare time.

Knowledge is power, friend!

am a mac tech by day, so no fear of learning new stuff. but have designed and maintained over a dozen websites over the years in dreamweaver, rarely viewing html. all i need these days is to tweak occasionally, or edit text, or replace an image; simple stuff.

will check out sparkle, thanx. rapidweaver won't let me edit a site, i have to create it in the app. ugh...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.