Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
I am shopping around for a new notebook. Came across this last night. It is called the Northgate X-Book. It has up to a 2.8 Ghz P4. That is 2.0 Ghz faster than the PowerBook. Now that is some freakin' power.

X-Book is a minimum 2-3.5 times faster. Since it is faster, I don't need a 5 hour battery when I can get the job done in 2 hours. I would rather spend my time to kick back and read a book, listen to music, or spend time with my family.

Apple better get its a** in gear soon.

Peter

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
right.... who would want a 2 inch thick notebook with a desktop CPU in it? that thing's battery probably lasts 45 minutes tops. that's worthless. and it may be 2 GHz "faster," but we all know that means little or nothing. the 2.8 is cutting edge desktop for intel... of course it's faster than a legitimate laptop pocessor... but not by much, and certainly, that 2.8 GHz will not last too long; it has to kick off some heat.

don't get fooled by fake laptop manufacturers. they are trying to sell you desktop computers in small boxes, without actually giving you any of the advantages of portability. that laptop is for people who only use their laptops at a few different home/work places, and only with KVM switches at that. it is nothing that apple is trying to compete with, because frankly, the powerbook is much much more professional.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
It still sounds like a good deal to me. X-Book is 4X times faster than a PowerBook and $500 cheaper and it has 266 DDR Ram.

Battery life isn't really important because 99% of people run their notebook off of A/C, not battery. If you do, you can run this up to 2 hours on a battery. Still not bad.

All this talk about editing a movie while flying coast to coast is bunk. Trying to do that while flying on a major and they will think you are a terrorist. Besides the jets now have A/C jacks in first class.

And in real life the PowerBook doesn't get 5 hours of battery life. That is just more Apple hype. In real life you may get 3 hours, unless your work on something disk intensive like video or audio, you can cut that down to 2 hours.

Peter

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I doubt that this laptop advert is correct. There is no way a current desktop cpu is used in the laptop (too much heat). It also cant be a Mobile version because they have not been released at this speed. Therefore, I think it is a miss-print! As for battery life, you'll be lucky if it lasts an hour!

NB. Sorry, but dont give that rubbish about it being 4X quicker!! Thats absolute rubbish! Mhz is a very poor rating!

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
No, all the major PC makers are using desktop P4 CPUs in their notebooks because the chip is about $500 less than the P4M. The only drawback is that these notebooks weight about 9 pounds and only get about 90 minutes of battery life. But for people that want all the power you can get, they are willing to make the sacrifice.

The 2.8 Ghz P4 is a new CPU. Intel released it Tuesday.

Peter

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by peter2002
No, all the major PC makers are using desktop P4 CPUs in their notebooks because the chip is about $500 less than the P4M. The only drawback is that these notebooks weight about 9 pounds and only get about 90 minutes of battery life. But for people that want all the power you can get, they are willing to make the sacrifice.

The 2.8 Ghz P4 is a new CPU. Intel released it Tuesday.

Peter
Ok, I did not know that. However, I still stick to my point about it not being 4X faster.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
It still sounds like a good deal to me. X-Book is 4X times faster than a PowerBook and $500 cheaper and it has 266 DDR Ram.

Battery life isn't really important because 99% of people run their notebook off of A/C, not battery. If you do, you can run this up to 2 hours on a battery. Still not bad.

All this talk about editing a movie while flying coast to coast is bunk. Trying to do that while flying on a major and they will think you are a terrorist. Besides the jets now have A/C jacks in first class.

Peter
Ok, so it is 4x faster than the PowerBook. 4x faster in what. You just can't say it is 4x faster. And saying that no one runs there laptop of battery, thats insane. thats the whole damn reason why i have a powerbook, so i can take it with to places where I can't plug it in. Whatever the battery life on that thing is I would knock off and hour and you would get really. Editing movies is a terrorist thing, right. Plus not everyone flies first class. Can that X-Book run iCal, iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, and everything else without crashing. I think not. Next time think of something to back up your problem with Apple. To me it sounds like you don't know what your talking about and I think everyone else on this server would agree.

iJon

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W

Peter

Speak for yourself my friend:p , I fly all the time,
and some airlines don't have ac jacks in planes at all!!:mad: and I do edit stuff on my powerbook coast to coast and I watch DVD's also, so let's see if your X-Book can make it on battery power only running a DVD, flying from ORD to LAS:p

estevan2737

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2002
Phoenix, Arizona
But does it run OS X?

Of course not and there is it's primary downfall.

I don't care if its 4x times faster (of course it really isn't) if it doesn't run OS X, I and I suspect most of the people here wouldn't want it.

Enjoy your new laptop.

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
At least you will be able to cook breakfast where ever you find outlet. ;)

A 2 hour battery life, maybe in sleep mode. :rolleyes: You will be lucky to get 45 min to an hour tops. Desktop P4 processors don't offer that much more power over the mobiles for all of the extra battery drain.

It weighs 9 POUNDS. :eek: No need to work out after a long day of lugging a brick around, you'll have Arnold Schwartzenegger size muscles without the the gym membership.

Billy_ca

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2002
Battery life isn't really important because 99% of people run their notebook off of A/C, not battery.

99% of people run their notebook off of A/C, not battery, because battery life is so crappy.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Well the only thing for me is, I don't buy apple hardware just for it's specs, I want to run an apple OS.....will that thing run OS X or are you gonna be booting into Linux (in which case you wouldnt be doing video editing coast to coast even if you wanted to) or Windohs. when is the power trip gonna end!?!:eek:

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
The X-Book is a very different breed of animal than the Powerbook G4. As others have said before, it's a "desktop replacement" laptop; it's designed to offer power at all costs and just coincidentally be portable... if only just. :)

The Powerbook G4 is a performance system, but it's obviously designed with portability more in mind. It's one inch thick, 5.5 pounds (more than a third lighter!) and generally designed to be more easily moved.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
It weighs 9 POUNDS. No need to work out after a long day of lugging a brick around, you'll have Arnold Schwartzenegger size muscles without the the gym membership.

You must be a "puny-man" if you can't handle 9 lbs. That is probably less than the weight of your lunch at McDs. ;)

Peter

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
It weighs 9 POUNDS. No need to work out after a long day of lugging a brick around, you'll have Arnold Schwartzenegger size muscles without the the gym membership.

You must be a "puny-man" if you can't handle 9 lbs. That is probably less than the weight of your lunch at McDs. ;)

Peter
Hey Peter,
Stop being to stupid. Apparently you know nothing about computers and are just looking to start an arguement on a Mac site. If you want that crap x-book no one is stopping you. But since you know nothing about computers you cant put up a good arguement. Give us three good reasons why to pick that computer and compare them to a mac then come and give us an arguement.

iJon

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
anyone seen their all in one computer

the northgate all in one is pretty cool looking for a pee cee of course, however the OS aside its a very cool looking machine very tech looking, in my opinion the imac flat panel is cool looking and all, but it does not give off an ora of seriousness, it looks like my luxo lamp :( but i'd still get one in a heart beat over any pee cee, i want my cube tho :) dual ghz cube upgrade with maximum ram and an upgraded slot loading dvd cdrw combo drive the only problem is no ddr ram, and system bus speed is stuck, and the graphix card can only be upgraded so far, but the pee cee version of a classic imac looks cool, has usb 2.0 firewire combo drive, ddr ram, p4 blech, and a tv tuner built in so you can capture ur fav shows which i like, i really want a detachable lcd screen that is connected to the computer via some wireless standard and will allow me to surf the internet, play games, etc anywhere in the room and has a touch screen!

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
The facts are the facts.

Well, you don't have to be a computer genius or a Phd to figure this one out. Any bubble boy can understand this math.

1. X-Book is a minimum 2-3.5 times faster. Since it is faster, I don't need a 5 hour battery when I can get the job done in 2 hours. I would rather spend my time to kick back and read a book, listen to music, or spend time with my family.

2. X-Book is $500-$1,500 cheaper depending on configurations.

3. X-Book can burn DVDs.

4. X-Book runs KaZaA, Direct Connect, iMesh, Win MX. PowerBook can't unless you pay $200 to run one of those slow, buggy emulation programs.

PowerBook is better for editing photos, making brochures, magazines, or editing videos, but not much else.

The facts are the facts. You can run or insult all you like, but you can't hide from the truth.

Peter

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota

Peter

That's very funny. :rolleyes:

If you want carry it around then by all means be my guest. I think that if you take a poll of people that use laptops, I believe you'll find that most prefer a lighter unit, I guess they must be "puny-men" too.

If the latest and greatest from Intel and M$ is what turns your crank then this is the system for you. If you actually care about having a usable operating system and QUALITY hardware, then you should be looking at a PB Ti.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Wow, the X-book brings us a degree of portability not seen sine the Mac Portable or when the Mac 128k got a duffel bag carrying case :rolleyes:

matznentosh

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2002
Bit of a troll thread, isn't this?

If you look more closely at their web site information, they say they use an external battery, not an internal one. It does use a desktop cpu, and everyone who says this is a portable replacement for a desktop computer are right.

Apples and oranges. Unpleasant aspects of Microsoft products aside, it doesn't make sense to try to compare this thing to a Powerbook, they are designed for completely different purposes.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: The facts are the facts.

1. X-Book is a minimum 2-3.5 times faster. Since it is faster, I don't need a 5 hour battery when I can get the job done in 2 hours.

he's right.

when i'm on my 800 MHz machine, i type, think, and read twice as fast as when i'm on my 400 MHz machine.

doh.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Re: The facts are the facts.

Originally posted by zimv20

he's right.

when i'm on my 800 MHz machine, i type, think, and read twice as fast as when i'm on my 400 MHz machine.

doh.

Just tell me DO YOU HAVE INTEL INSIDE YOUR BRAIN?!?!!:rolleyes:
When you are on a faster machine does not make YOU faster... I mean really, I don't type faster on a faster machine... Your page may load faster, but that doesn't even matter.
The Laptop is a monster.
Okay?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Re: Re: Re: The facts are the facts.

Originally posted by MrMacman

Just tell me DO YOU HAVE INTEL INSIDE YOUR BRAIN?!?!!:rolleyes:
When you are on a faster machine does not make YOU faster... I mean really, I don't type faster on a faster machine... Your page may load faster, but that doesn't even matter.
The Laptop is a monster.
Okay?

I think he was being sarcastic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.