Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I'm working with a customer who uses X-Cart for a storefront, and they would like to remove the need for a Terms & Conditions link and acceptance when customers use their site. We have managed to remove the checkbox and wording from the page, but there is both JavaScript and PHP code that will also have to be commented out or removed, and I'm having trouble tracking down where it exists. Is anyone familiar enough with X-Cart to guide me to it? Their own forums didn't provide me with any answers, and their service help desks wants to charge over and above the service contract the customer has in order to give us instructions on how to do it.

jW

Last edited:

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
This may not help you, but I felt worth mentioning.

Maybe instead of outright removing (which you discovered is not easy as its such an important feature of any e-Commerce site, plus there are licensing and SLA issues involved which is why support did what they did) consider simply changing the terms to "None" via:

Choose the language you want from the 1st top down menu.

In the Apply Filter box, enter Terms and Conditions (or some text that is currently in the section where you want the terms and conditions to appear)

From the Select Topic box, drop it down to text.

You should see an entry for "txt_conditions_customer"

Now put your terms in the big Value box.

Click Apply changes

-jim

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Thanks. Yeah, my client had already done that, but they wanted it removed completely if possible. We may settle on that in the end, however.

jW

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Hah, just had a flash of inspiration. I changed the default value of the checkbox to checked, set display:none on the whole div, and verified: it works perfectly! Simple solution, normally would be ethically questionable, but since there are no Terms & Conditions the client wants to set (their call), it solves the problem nicely.

jW

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
I'd remove the checkbox entirely and convert it into a hidden field set with whatever value works for that submit. :)

As an aside to people following this discussion:

You're thinking as a developer (nothing wrong with that), I'm now speaking as a consultant -- you've done nothing wrong but your client should understand the lack of terms OR forcing an "I agree" might seem unethical outwardly to an experienced end user. As a consultant I would talk with their business people or project lead on their side to discuss the down side of such a decision before implementing it technically*and maybe prevent 1) a lawsuit or at minimum 2) an upset customer requiring high LOE from support.

Don't be afraid to put on your consultant hat and advise against if it seems unethical. If they insist, get it in writing or put it in writing an amend the contract so you are not personally liable, and do then do the change to keep your client happy.

gscottwalker

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2013
Hah, just had a flash of inspiration. I changed the default value of the checkbox to checked, set display:none on the whole div, and verified: it works perfectly! Simple solution, normally would be ethically questionable, but since there are no Terms & Conditions the client wants to set (their call), it solves the problem nicely.

jW

In what file did you find the div? Thanks so much!

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
In what file did you find the div? Thanks so much!

Use the web developer extension in Chrome or any major browser, enable, right click on the disclaimer text and inspect to find out. You will be able to view the related HTML and also the CSS involved including the stylesheet or whatever is used which generates the div ID or class.

See screenshot of example on my Chrome.

Attachments

• Example Chrome Inspection.jpg
    Example Chrome Inspection.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 235
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.