Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Hey guys,

Last night I decided to dig out my old iPhone X just to charge it and update the firmware. I immediately felt nostalgic holding it again. In my opinion it is the most gorgeous looking phone ever made! I never use cases because I want to fully enjoy my phones the way they were designed to look and feel. Besides, I’m always very careful with my (expensive) stuff, so the phone still looks brand new.

While it was on the charger, I started playing around with the phone a little bit and compared it to my iPhone 12 mini.

The first thing I noticed was how warm the screen on the X was - ridiculously warm/yellow. My Mini’s screen was super white next to it (using Google home screen in Safari on both devices). That wasn’t the X I remembered… So I decided to look in Settings where I quickly discovered that True Tone was ON. Then I repeated the side by side screen comparison with True Tone turned OFF and noticed that the X’s screen was actually whiter than the Mini’s. Not by much, though. However, as others have pointed out, it seems like the entire 12-series do have ‘warmer’ screens by design. Personally I don’t have a problem with the slightly warmer screen, but I was influenced by all those screen threads here on MacRumors, so I just wanted to check.

Secondly, when I first got the Mini and transferred all my info from the X, the first thing I noticed was how speedy the Mini was in comparison. It’s not that the X was sluggish, but the difference was very noticeable. Which of course is natural because of the newer processor in the Mini. However, this time around I didn’t feel like the difference was that significant. I could still use the X comfortably. In fact, I would never have upgraded if it wasn’t for Apple releasing the Mini last year. That was my one and only real complaint about the X: I wanted it to be a tad bit smaller, while keeping the same full screen design and all the same features/specs, albeit upgraded.

Back to design… Man, design-wise the X really puts the Mini to shame, when it comes to pure aesthetics. Even though I love my Mini, the X oozes elegance. It is a flashy phone (I have the silver one), whilst the Mini is much more subtle in its appearance. When you put them next to each other on a table in a poorly lit room, the Mini almost disappears while the X screams: Look at me, I’m gorgeous!
However, there is a downside to using a flashy phone where I’m currently living. When I pulled out my X I’d get many looks, while the subtle design of the Mini never gives me any looks (other than the occasional laugh from friends at how small it is). That’s a big advantage here. I’ve already had one X and one XS stolen from me. The last one got stolen at gunpoint actually… So, I always keep that in mind, and that’s also why I’m still holding on to my old X as a spare phone, in case my phone gets stolen again. Being without a phone, even just for a little while, these days really makes you feel like you’re kind of lost and out of touch. It’s not like I can reach all my contacts from a computer…
Square edges or rounded edges, that’s the question… This is where the Mini shines! The Mini is far easier to hold, not just because of its smaller size, but also because of its square edges. I find the «bar of soap» analogy that people tend to use to be quite fitting. I still find the X fine enough to handle, but there’s just no doubt that it’s much more slippery.

On to screen size. I feel that 5.8 is perfect for iOS. It takes a bit of time to adapt to the smaller 5.4 inch screen. For me it’s not a problem, though, as I can adapt quite easily, although I did feel the need to increase the text size on my Mini quite a bit, but that’s mainly because I’m getting older. I’ve never used glasses, but I can feel that my eyesight isn’t quite as good as it used to be. When it comes to the Max-line of iPhones, I think that Apple should utilise more from iPad OS - like split screen view etc., to take advantage of the large screen.

Battery life. Since my X’s battery health has been in the mid 80s since I last used it, and the Mini is still at 100%, I haven’t noticed any difference in battery life with my use.

To those of you who still use an iPhone X, I wouldn’t bother upgrading now unless you want a change in physical size, whether it’s smaller or bigger. The updated specs really are incremental.

That’s all, folks. Next time I dig out my X I’m going to compare the 2x telephoto lens with 2x digital zoom on the Mini because I have a feeling that the Mini’s 2x digital zoom is just as good. The camera certainly is better in all other ways, especially in low light settings.

Have a nice weekend
Cheers

Last edited:

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
The X would better compared against the 12 pro, mini is the budget FID phone, X was the 12 pro of its time.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Have the iPhone X. I feel like it is one of the best iPhones. I do have the 12 Pro Max. Still use my X occasionally. Like both the phones.

Reactions: Barbareren

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Nice post barbarern. Apple should have kept the 5.8” form factor from the X, XS and 11 Pro, it was a nice compact size and people liked it. Why they made 2, 6.1 iphones just baffles me honestly. This was Apples opportunity to have a good size range with 5.4, 5.8, 6.1 and 6.7 options but alas no, and in 2022 we are going to have two 6.1’ and two 6.7’ iphones…wtf are you doing Apple?

Any way barbaren stay safe and look after yourself, was very shocked to hear you were robbed at gun point.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
I’m still using my iPhone X. I haven’t felt the need to upgrade. Earlier this year I sent it in only to replace the battery because otherwise it’s worked great for me (though there’s a whole story that goes with that experience that I’ll leave out of this thread). I just wanted to extend the life of this thing so I could make it, at least, to the iPhone 12S this fall. That’s still my plan; to upgrade in the fall. It’s not that I will need to, it’s that I want to.

The speed of the X, the look of the X, the feel of the X are all great. It’s just time for me to get some of the perks of the newer phones and pass this one down to one of my kids.

I understand people wanting the 5.8” form factor and it is baffling to me that you either have to choose bigger or smaller than that if you want a new iPhone. But also, I need a larger phone. More width than height, but I need something bigger. The keyboard on the X feels cramped to my hands compared to my previous phone, iPhone 6+. So I’m considering Max. However, since the standard iPhone Pro models now come with 6.1” screens, I am considering if I really want to push it to the Max.

The mini amazes me with what they were able to fit inside it. My ex would be a perfect fit for that phone. It’s not for me, but I see the appeal and I’m glad Apple brought it to market.

All this to say that, yes. The X is still a pretty great iPhone ?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I like my iPhone X yet. Granted, the A11 and 3GB of RAM struggle at times, primarily when I’m using the latest Scanner Pro, and the device’s battery health is down to 85% — although, it hasn’t been a problem… So… Meh.

My upgrade dilemmas:
• Screen size — As others have stated, no more 5.8” form factor means a need to either get accustomed to larger or smaller, not favorable to me.
• Cameras — I don’t want to give up the telephoto camera, therefore, I would pulled towards the “Pro” models. Digital processing continues to improve, but the best original/raw data that can be gathered before doing any digital adjustments is, of course, better.

My current consideration is to buy a refurbished iPhone 13 (or whatever it will be). I don’t have any gripes waiting until 2022 or later.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Great post OP. I still use my X as my main phone and although it needs a battery replacement it still performs very well for an almost 4 year old device. I'm going to get the battery replaced and give the 13 Pro Max a good look when it's released as I wouldn't mind a larger screen and something different. If it doesn't call out to me I'll just keep using the X for another year. Regardless, the X will stay as a backup if I do upgrade.. I feel the X was a turning point in iPhone development as was my 6S so I don't mind having them both in my drawer as fall back phones if something were to happen with my main device..

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
Secondly, when I first got the Mini and transferred all my info from the X, the first thing I noticed was how speedy the Mini was in comparison. It’s not that the X was sluggish, but the difference was very noticeable. Which of course is natural because of the newer processor in the Mini. However, this time around I didn’t feel like the difference was that significant. I could still use the X comfortably. In fact, I would never have upgraded if it wasn’t for Apple releasing the Mini last year.
Yeah i agree with @BugeyeSTI ,Great post!
My work decided to upgrade my phone from XS to 12P and when receiving it i did a comparison with my old X, current XS and new 12P. For example when swiping in/out of apps and installing apps i feel like the 12P is indeed slightly faster/more responsive. Really nothing major obviously but still enough that it simply feels different overall.

And i agree. The updated specs really are incremental at best.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
The X would better compared against the 12 pro, mini is the budget FID phone, X was the 12 pro of its time.
The Mini is not a budget phone. It’s a standard 12 in a smaller form factor. Anyway, this was just a quick comparison of the phones I still have in my possession. I’ve tried the 12 Pro in the Apple store. It’s not for me. Too heavy, and I don’t like the stainless steel (fingerprint magnet).

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
I don’t like the stainless steel (fingerprint magnet).
It’s the budget priced FID phone is what i meant.
Hardly any finger prints v the smudge athon the 12/12mini has on the back, also they are like a bar of soap. SS has grip, had the 12 for 6 months and 12 pro max last 3 so know The difference.

Last edited:

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
It’s the budget FID phone is what i said.
Hardly any finger prints v the smudge athon the 12/12mini has on the back, also they are like a bar of soap. SS has grip, had the 12 for 6 months and 12 pro max last 3 so know The difference.
I have no idea what «FID» is supposed to mean.
The stainless steel sides become covered in smudge within 10 seconds of handling the Pro. The 12 and 12 mini’s backs are also fingerprint magnets. Now, ask yourself what you see the most when you use your phone without a case, the sides or the back?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
I have no idea what «FID» is supposed to mean.
The stainless steel sides become covered in smudge within 10 seconds of handling the Pro. The 12 and 12 mini’s backs are also fingerprint magnets. Now, ask yourself what you see the most when you use your phone without a case, the sides or the back?
Face ID, if you don’t use a case ever SS is way better. If you are looking at the sides you can see the back too lol

• Sad
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
That’s your opinion.
Really? When you’re using the phone, or when it’s laying down on a table, do you see the sides or the back? Lol
Knew you would say when on a table lmao, my opinion is i have had both. have you used a 12 pro for 3 months not a 11 pro.

JJL2026

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2021
As others have said the X is/was an amazing phone. I currently have the xs max and I’m in no hurry to upgrade. Battery health at 94% camera great, Maybe the iPhone 14 will get me to upgrade…

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I gave my daughter my X and she lost it a year later. I miss my X but not the size. Eventually I’m going to buy a refurbished X from Apple, and just add it to my collection. I will say I loved my XS Max so much but the intel modem was a buzz kill for me. I immediately upgraded to the 12 Pro Max on day 1 and couldn’t be happier. I am keeping the XS Max as backup phone. I also got the SE 2020 for free when I switched to Verizon and used it for 2 days. Let’s just say, I will never go back to any phone under 5.8

Reactions: na1577

Matt T

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
Thanks for this post OP. I also have a X and I love it but it’s always felt a bit too big and heavy to me, especially in the last year or so as I think I’m beginning to develop mild RSI in my hands. The 13 mini will be my next phone.

I’m looking forward to your camera comparisons because the loss of the telephoto lens is my biggest concern about upgrading.

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I upgraded from an X to a 12 mini at the weekend.

I'd had Apple drop a new battery in my X late last year after the old one swelled up, so the battery life was fine. But Apple offered a big discount on the mini here in Oz, and my dad's cousin was in desperate need of a new iPhone after dropping her old 6S (which also needed a new battery). It also means I can use a handy Belkin car charger/phone holder (reducing the temptation to buy a new car ?)...

There's no question that the X is more premium feeling, with the stainless steel and glass finish, and the 5.8" screen is easier on the eye. The telephoto lens is also far more useful than an ultrawide one. Finally, I also like the rounded edges, as it makes it easier to handle.

However the 12 mini is just so light and pocketable. I feel like I'm back in the 5/SE era when I use it and there are no compromises except for a slightly reduced battery life. I just want my leather case to arrive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.