Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I ordered a new SSD for my raid so I can have XP11 & XP12 installed side by side, I hope it comes soon. I can't wait for the next generation of Plane. I have been a fan since version 6

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
So how is it?
My Mac is a Mac Studio Max (32 Core GPU, 64 GB RAM), my screen an Ultra-wide 3840 x 1080 resolution (very cool for flight-simming and racing).

Installed this X-Plane 12 "public beta1" (the purchased version, so all continents installed).

Just fired it up once, settings at "default".

First impression is that it looks awesome!
Out of the box, looking better than X-Plane 11 out of the box, for sure.
Real-time weather is definitely cool. Clouds are impressive, but there seems something not right.. I'll try to post a screenshot of it later.

I can only really compare it to X-Plane 11 when adding the same orthophotos, payware scenery and SimHeaven's X-Europe.
Will be doing so tonight! So will report later!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
FWIW (as this was quickest to do) here you see KSEA Demo area screenshots on XP11 and XP12 "out of the box".
Gives some idea as a comparison.

KSEA-DEMO-XP-11.png KSEA-DEMO-XP-12.png

snourse

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Would love to see some results for the M1 Ultra. It struggles on my M1 Mini with 16gb ram

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Would love to see some results for the M1 Ultra. It struggles on my M1 Mini with 16gb ram
Here you go. Default aircraft, default situation, default graphics settings.
Base model Mac Studio Ultra, Studio display at whatever resolution XP wants to display as 'default'.

Attachments

• fps.jpeg
    fps.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 193
  • default.jpeg
    default.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 209
  • activity.jpeg
    activity.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 199

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
With the graphics settings turned up like this, I get 40fps in the same situation above.

Attachments

• settings.jpeg
    settings.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 194

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I loaded up Xplane12 with all my orthos from Xplane11 and it looks pretty good. I like the new trees and the colors seem to pop a bit more. I also seeing a bit more detail in the orthos. I am running a M1 16gb iMac 24" and the frame rates dropped quite a bit from Xplane 11. In XP11 I was getting around 55 to 60 fps and with XP12 it dropped a average of 20. I tried changing rendering settings and scenery and it always comes back to the same frame rates, around 20. I thinking it's because it's still pre release software. I thinking it will only get better from here.

Last edited:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
This is cool too:You can enable snow over orthophotos! (=close to Hilversum, NL using ZL17 orthos and Simheaven's X-World Europe)

SNOW-1.jpg

Reactions: dimme

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
Runs fine on my 5K, 27-inch, 2020 Intel iMac. I don't run it full screen though, just in a window as I have other stuff I need to have open too, and it's a bit much to ask of the iMac GPU. Still, I'm generally getting 30-40fps, stock scenery, but it drops to ~25fps if the scenery and/or weather gets mad complex.
I tried installing X-Europe, as per the instructions, but got nothing but error messages and crashes. Might try OrbX UK and see how that goes. Overall, I'm very happy with it, even though it's still Beta. I really miss my Khamsin Chipmunk though!

XP12_Cub_Alaska.jpg

Reactions: Huntn

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
The current X-Europe indeed has some issues when installing..
Getting the alias of the "1200 forests" in the Vegetation_library is something you need to do manually.
Then, a permission is not set correctly on one of the objects.... I need to get to my main Mac to find that one..

Meanwhile, these forums might help you out (if you had not already seen them):

Reactions: quatermass

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
The current X-Europe indeed has some issues when installing..
Getting the alias of the "1200 forests" in the Vegetation_library is something you need to do manually.
Then, a permission is not set correctly on one of the objects.... I need to get to my main Mac to find that one..

Meanwhile, these forums might help you out (if you had not already seen them):
Thanks for the pointers - I think it was the vegetation_library at fault, so I'll try it again.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
So, this should be it:
in /X-Plane 12/Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-World_Vegetation_Library/
that you have an alias of:

/X-Plane 12/Custom Scenery/Resources/default scenery/1200 forests
Should look like this:
Library.jpg

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
And that "object-permissions" issue:
In the .../X-World-Europe(and America)-8-network/objects
the powerline_tower_tall.obj is set to no access (no idea why..)

So I use Terminal.app and:
1. First navigate to the directory:
cd <to your /X-Plane 12/Custom Scenery/SimHeaven Europe or America>-8-network/objects <ENTER>

To make it easier: For this you can open Terminal.app, type "cd" (no Enter), and drag that /X-Plane 12/Custom Scenery/SimHeaven Europe or America>-8-network/objects folder into Terminal.app window, then press <ENTER>

2. Then to set the permisssions correctly:
Type: chmod 666 powerline_tower_tall.obj <ENTER>

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
And that "object-permissions" issue:
In the .../X-World-Europe(and America)-8-network/objects
the powerline_tower_tall.obj is set to no access (no idea why..)

So I use Terminal.app and:
1. First navigate to the directory:
cd <to your /X-Plane 12/Custom Scenery/SimHeaven Europe or America>-8-network/objects <ENTER>

To make it easier: For this you can open Terminal.app, type "cd" (no Enter), and drag that /X-Plane 12/Custom Scenery/SimHeaven Europe or America>-8-network/objects folder into Terminal.app window, then press <ENTER>

2. Then to set the permisssions correctly:
Type: chmod 666 powerline_tower_tall.obj <ENTER>
Brilliant - thank you - clear and comprehensive. I definitely did vegetation_library wrong - looked nothing like that! I'm good with Terminal so no probs there. Will report back on progress once I've had another go.

Reactions: MacsRgr8

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
is this multi-GPU aware?
Almost certain is it not.
X-Plane 11 does not. If X-Plane 12 were to support multiple dedicated grfx cards it would be a huge feature.

TBH, even “multi-CPU (cores)” is not much used. When loading the SIM and scenery, it utilizes many cores, but during the “flight” I only see 2 CPU cores actually being used.

On my Mac Studio the CPU load is hovering around 90 - 140% load. GPU usually around 90%.
Feels like the CPU - GPU balance is quite nice on the Mac Studio. Sometimes it’s the CPU which is the limiting factor, sometimes GPU.

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands

Rgerhardt

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2022
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.