Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
hi people
i have some problem figuring out x11. i have matlab in my office machine which is linux, when i am logging on it with my ibook, and running matlab its not showing me the gui...i installed x11 from apple;s site...still same problem

any clues will be appreciated

cheers

abhi

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
You need to run the X11 application (X11.app) which is in Applications or Applications/Utilities.

On the matlab machine, you need to do "export DISPLAY=nn.nn.nn.nn:0" where nn.nn.nn.nn is the IP address of your Mac. If you are going though a NAT router, I'm not sure what you do there. Are you using a VPN?

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
You may also need to authorise X connections from your Linux machine to your OS X box. To do this open an X11 terminal on your Apple box and type:

xhost +<IP of Linux box>

e.g.
[powerx:~] will% xhost +172.29.160.23
172.29.160.23 being added to access control list

You can see the current list of allowed hosts by typing xhost by itself.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
still not workin

Originally posted by cubist
You need to run the X11 application (X11.app) which is in Applications or Applications/Utilities.

On the matlab machine, you need to do "export DISPLAY=nn.nn.nn.nn:0" where nn.nn.nn.nn is the IP address of your Mac. If you are going though a NAT router, I'm not sure what you do there. Are you using a VPN?

well i am logging on to my schools wireless network and then doin ssh into my linux machine.
i did export DISPLAY , but still i cant see any gui.
also i did xhost+ on both linux as well as my ibook..
what should i try next?

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
You should only need to run xhost on the Mac. Can the two boxes see each other correctly? When you ssh from the Mac box to the Linux box are you using the -X option, which enables X forwarding? Note it's a capital X, lowercase disables, see man ssh for more.

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2005
I know this is an old thread....but perhaps you guys can help.

I've finally managed to get MATLAB to open via SSH on a school server. However, I get that my OpenGL drivers are not installed correctly. However, MATLAB still loads up.

Next, I tried loading Ansys but failed. Since it's such a graphics intensive program, I didn't really expect it to work....with the 'missing OpenGL drivers'.

The exact error msg I get when opening MATLAB is:

Warning: Could not query OpenGL.
Warning: OpenGL appears to be installed incorrectly.

Help?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Chances are pretty high that OpenGL is installed (and correctly) on your Mac. It may be that it's an old version of MatLab that cannot cope/find with newer versions of OpenGL?

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2005
yellow said:
Chances are pretty high that OpenGL is installed (and correctly) on your Mac. It may be that it's an old version of MatLab that cannot cope/find with newer versions of OpenGL?

I don't think it's MatLab.

1. I'm using the newest version of OSX (10.3.8).
2. The newest version of MatLab is 7.
3. I can run Matlab 7 natively (installation on my HD).
4. The version of Matlab that I'm connecting to is also 7...but on a Unix machine.

However...I'm getting conflicting information. Some people are saying to manually assign my $DISPLAY settings to 'IP-addy':0.0. Others are saying to simply log in using 'ssh -X XXX@XXXX.ca' and let X forwarding handle the display.

When I type 'echo $DISPLAY' after using 'ssh -X XXX@XXXX.ca', I get 'localhost:10.0'

Now...I would assume that if the $DISPLAY parameter was messed...I wouldn't even get the MatLab window popping up...but that isn't the case! I can do calculations...but I can't plot graphs. I get

"??? Error using ==> plot
MATLAB : Graphics Plot."

P.S. I'm not violating any forum rules by responding this quickly am I? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.