Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Hi,

I have 2 macs (both Leopard), both have X11 installed.
The remote machine has X11 configured correctly (works for X11 applications like Wireshark for example). But I want to use default OSX apps (Safari specifically) remotely.
I've been told multiple times this is not possible - since they're not X11-apps, and that I should use VNC instead.

The problem with VNC however is that it literally continuously sends screenshots from the remote machine to yours, and thus, if someone else is using or even only watching the remote machine, he'll see 'strange things' happen.
X11 is cool because you can't actually notice at first that someone else is using that machine too, albeit remotely.

Is there any way, tool, WindowServer-hack, technology that lets me 'forward' Safari through X11, or another way to achieve something similar?

Thanks in advance!

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
There is something that I think is called Aqua Server. It's like Windows Terminal Server but for Macs. That could be setup to do something like what you want to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.