Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrplow

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
Now there's a place to post updates on driver support...

I got the x1600 Catalysts to install (anyone else?) but it effectively does nothing... I didn't try it without any hacking so perhaps I did nothing, but I edited some inf files and included strings for the iMacs model (7c05) and they applied no problem via device manager and its not listed as 'fully functional' under "Displays" ... but if you goto properties via right clicking the desktop the xom is still being utilized and via non-plug&play... I think narf is going to have to give us some insight on this if we're to make any progress, since he wrote the xom that is being utilized.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
yeah, we really need that graphics driver to work, that will make windows dualboot viable, right now, its like the emulator in Linux.

tdewey

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
ethernet76 said:
Has anyone run this program yet? I'm curious if it recognizes the card as a valid ati card.

I think you mean this program:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=1387

Which picture suggests that you either gotta have a bios or have to emulate the bios calls the ATI cards are making to get them to work.

Apologies if this has been posted by someone else - there are like 3 different major forums and umpteen threads to follow.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The only way to fix the video driver problem is to either flash the cards eprom or write a new driver and have it loaded as a compatibility module in the EFI.Either way you're going to have either a PC version or an OS X version..

Now if someone is able to write a good,clean EFI module that loads depending on the O/S the problem will be solved.
Until then there will be no graphics acceleration.Period.
And it could very well hurt the video card.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Peace said:
Now if someone is able to write a good,clean EFI module that loads depending on the O/S the problem will be solved.

Like what the BAMBIOS guys are doing...

tdewey

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
ATI has a history of providing unsupported beta drivers (e.g. the Vista drivers) - We should all send them some nice emails and see if we can get them to provide a driver.

otherwise somebody needs to start the xp on mac drivers contest ;p

Edit:
What's incredibly frustrating is that there are EFI versions of Catalyst

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=367

Unfortunately only for 64-bit Windows--so I don't see how they could possibly work on the 32-bit dual-cores.

Rusdude

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.