Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ng7apoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
UK
Hi,

I received today the Apple TV 2 I bought on Bay. It arrived already jailbroken and with several apps already installed - XBMC being one of many :)

After testing it all out making sure it all worked I tried XBMC, Plex, Nito TV and some add-ons including BBC iPlayer etc. after verifying it all worked fine I went to upgrade XBMC from version 11 to 12 it all seemed to be going ok downloaded and installed but upon reboot I got the Apple logo then just a blank screen :(

Decided to just restore it (5.0.2) through iTunes then jailbreak it again - took me ages to realise I had to downgrade to iTunes 10.7 here lol

After verifying jailbreak was successful I installed NitoTV via the Nito installer all went well so next for XBMC but then same issue XBMC installs reboots to Apple logo then blank screen :(

So I'm now restored again and done the jailbreak once more and have installed NitoTV but nothing else.

How can I fix the problem with XBMC?

Thanks for any input :)

Last edited:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
There was an update to XBMC yesterday. The final release of XBMC Frodo (v12.0).

I had 12beta and RC1, RC2, and RC3 and none of them worked on my ATV2. Yesterday the update fixed it.

ng7apoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
UK
Thank you! Just tried installing from command line via ssh from the official repository and it works great now :D

Guess the nitoTV installer and on-screen updater have not yet filtered through the very newest version

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Thank you! Just tried installing from command line via ssh from the official repository and it works great now :D

Guess the nitoTV installer and on-screen updater have not yet filtered through the very newest version

Glad it worked, I only got to use version 12 a little bit last night, but I am like it over v10 and v11 a lot.

There are so many awesome apps for XBMC.

ng7apoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
UK
You can say that again I am still looking through a huge list of add-ons to see what to install - Its going to take me all night I think lol :D

This is the first time I've ever used an Apple TV and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it, sure its a little sluggish in places but then it is the older model.

Pity that all the good features require a jailbroken unit though but can't have everything i suppose lol

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Agreed, I think if you're a netflix user, it is hand down the best UI there for netflix....So I'd still own one even if it wasn't jailbroken, but it's 10 times better after the jailbreak.

ng7apoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
UK
Indeed there is no doubt its a fantastic device but without jailbreaking I don't think I would get a lot of use from it. The main reason for me buying this was to have BBC iPlayer, ITV/STV player, 4oD and demand 5 - which as I see you are not in the UK are some of the more popular TV catchup services for the most popular UK TV channels :)

Netflix is something I've not tried yet unfortunately in the UK is selection is rather limited in comparison with what you get in the US

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
There was an update to XBMC yesterday. The final release of XBMC Frodo (v12.0).

I had 12beta and RC1, RC2, and RC3 and none of them worked on my ATV2. Yesterday the update fixed it.

Is XBMC 12 worth upgrading from 11? It took me a while to get XBMC on... i had some issues that I can't remember. And it also took a while to get all my sharing with Windows 8 and my network working. I am hesitant to upgrade when my current setup works good to stream video from my PC.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I only used it a little bit so far. Maybe an hour. It seems really smooth and very responsive.

I am not sure about new features, but navigation has gotten much better, and I didn't lose any settings or add-ons during the upgrade.

Is XBMC 12 worth upgrading from 11? It took me a while to get XBMC on... i had some issues that I can't remember. And it also took a while to get all my sharing with Windows 8 and my network working. I am hesitant to upgrade when my current setup works good to stream video from my PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.